NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
As a Bulls fan I LOVE the trade - getting maybe our point guard of the future, and not giving up much. No, I don't consider McDermott and Gibson "much."

Payne certainly fits Chicago's preferred style of point guard who can't shoot.

The Bulls supposedly turned down Boston's deal for Butler which was centered around both of the Brooklyn picks, I think i would have pulled the triggered on that deal if I was Chicago.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

The Bulls supposedly turned down Boston's deal for Butler which was centered around both of the Brooklyn picks, I think i would have pulled the triggered on that deal if I was Chicago.
That's a good point. Also the Bulls grossly over-paid to get McDermott in the first place, but it's time to take a loss on him and move on.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Pacers are stupid for not trading George. He's just going to leave when he's a free agent.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pacers are stupid for not trading George. He's just going to leave when he's a free agent.

They still could later down the road. He's under contract through next season, so for now they can tread water and keep working on a long term extension and getting him a better supporting cast. The timing or offers just might not have been right.

The problem is that the closer he gets to his player option, the less leverage the Pacers have. Their best offer might have already been on the table. There's a pretty good chance that they'll either end up getting forty cents on the dollar for him or watch him leave in free agency for nothing. Right now their best hope is that Turner continues to develop and PG makes an All NBA team, allowing them to offer him the designated player max extension.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
As a Bulls fan I LOVE the trade - getting maybe our point guard of the future, and not giving up much. No, I don't consider McDermott and Gibson "much."

This season has been underwhelming for Payne but people need to keep in mind that he's been forced to take it slow recovering from the fracture in his foot without surgery.

Payne reminds me of Reggie Jackson in his first few years in the league. Both had a very similar line coming out of college. Cam shot just over 45% from the field, and over 50% from inside the arc in his last season at Murray State averaging a round line of 20, 6, and 4.

Jackson was in a very similar place coming in from Boston College. It took him a bit of time to find a place in the rotation but he eventually grew into it and has since turned into a major player for Detroit.

Like I said, Payne has a lot of potential, he just needs time to develop.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

From what read the hang up in the deal was Jae Crowder. Boston didn't want to give him up

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
From what read the hang up in the deal was Jae Crowder. Boston didn't want to give him up

Crowder is a nice player but why do the Bulls want him? If they're finally trading Butler and rebuilding, they should embrace being bad and getting long term assets, not demanding a guy like Crowder.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
They still could later down the road. He's under contract through next season, so for now they can tread water and keep working on a long term extension and getting him a better supporting cast. The timing or offers just might not have been right.

The problem is that the closer he gets to his player option, the less leverage the Pacers have. Their best offer might have already been on the table. There's a pretty good chance that they'll either end up getting forty cents on the dollar for him or watch him leave in free agency for nothing. Right now their best hope is that Turner continues to develop and PG makes an All NBA team, allowing them to offer him the designated player max extension.
They should have traded with boston imo. I feel like PG is going to sign with the lakers

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Caught Sports Talk live on comcast Chicago. The show is hosted by David Kaplan who always gives great insight on Chicago sports. He and the other 4 on the panel all thought Bulls got the wrong end on the deal. They had live poll updating on the bottom with choices of furious, glad we got something or I don't care. Furious was at a constant leader at around 88% of the vote.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Caught Sports Talk live on comcast Chicago. The show is hosted by David Kaplan who always gives great insight on Chicago sports. He and the other 4 on the panel all thought Bulls got the wrong end on the deal. They had live poll updating on the bottom with choices of furious, glad we got something or I don't care. Furious was at a constant leader at around 88% of the vote.

David KaplanVerified account
‏@thekapman
5h5 hours ago

Bulls used to develop players, like D.J. Augustin etc. Now they don't develop anyone. Missing piece? Thibodeau. They have to change coaches.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
David KaplanVerified account‏@thekapman 5h5 hours ago

Bulls used to develop players, like D.J. Augustin etc. Now they don't develop anyone. Missing piece? Thibodeau. They have to change coaches.

Totally agree with that statement. Although at times I though Thibs got too intense. But Fred's laid back style isn't the answer either.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Boogie and Brow era in New Orleans is off to a rough start. The two combined for 56 points and 23 boards but the Rockets still beat the Pelicans by 30. It's a hell of a combo, but the rest of the roster is barren.

Have we been sleeping on Houston? With the addition of Lou WIlliams, they look like the only team in the West that can go bucket for bucket with the Warriors.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
The Boogie and Brow era in New Orleans is off to a rough start. The two combined for 56 points and 23 boards but the Rockets still beat the Pelicans by 30. It's a hell of a combo, but the rest of the roster is barren.

Have we been sleeping on Houston? With the addition of Lou WIlliams, they look like the only team in the West that can go bucket for bucket with the Warriors.
They're a great offensive team with shooters off the bench but defense is a probably for them. I could see them taking the Warriors to 7 games.

The Pelicans need time. They also need better role players around Cousins and Davis.

Help Support Us

Become a patron