***Official 2013 Bracketology Thread***

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
As long as they don't make a habit of it, it won't hurt us all that much. Like its been said, good wins mean more than bad losses.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Joe Lunardi ‏@ESPNLunardi
Moving IN: Iowa State, La Salle. Moving OUT: Maryland, St. Mary's.
Details

just to clarify that Iowa St. wasn't on last 4 out....pretty surprised honestly, guess the Tech loss won't hurt ISU that much.

Before the KSU game, ISU was the first team out.

Seems about right.

I went through the bubblies after KSU win — I still can't find enough teams to push Iowa State out — and I'd say non-play-in, too, at 11 seed.

LaSalle is in, maybe even beyond play-in line. Juggling a few teams in there (So. Miss, Villanova)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
As long as they don't make a habit of it, it won't hurt us all that much. Like its been said, good wins mean more than bad losses.

Seems about right.

I went through the bubblies after KSU win — I still can't find enough teams to push Iowa State out — and I'd say non-play-in, too, at 11 seed.

LaSalle is in, maybe even beyond play-in line. Juggling a few teams in there (So. Miss, Villanova)

I think you guys need to go back through this thread and a couple others from Wed.-Fri.; we're not in, and that TT loss was season over, no matter what we do the rest of the way. :twitcy:

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Here is our resume (another excerpt from my blog)--We are in a lot better shape than most people around these boards seem to think.

Current Resume:

Overall Record: 14-5
Conference Record: 4-2
Big Wins: #11 Kansas State
Bad Losses: @Texas Tech
RPI: 39
BPI: 36

Ken Pomeroy:

The Cyclones today stand at #41 in KenPom's rankings. Last week at this time they stood at #30. The Texas Tech loss really did a number to their status at kenpom.com. Last week at this time Pomeroy had the Cyclones predicted at 12-6 in the conference based on both probability and straight up picks. This week probability has them at 10-8 and straight up at 11-5.

Bracket Matrix:

The Bracket Matrix has ISU in the field in 47 of the 58 (81%) brackets. This is fairly consistent with the 82 percent they were at last week. You will notice that as we get closer to March more and more bracket predictions are revealed. Although these brackets don't guarantee a spot in the field there is something to be said for an increase in sample size. Bracket Matrix still has them on the 12 seed line.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
And here are my predictions....

My Prediction (1/27) **This is based on what I predict will happen, not their resume to date**

I think Iowa State is in a very good spot. To me, their formula to make the dance centers around protecting their home court, which is something I see them doing. At most I think they will lose one conference game at home. They are just going to need to earn a couple of road wins at some point.

Predicted:

Overall Record: 22-7
Conference Record: 12-6 (Losses: @OSU, @OU, @BU, @Kansas, @Texas Tech vs Kansas)
Big Wins: Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, @Kansas St.
Bad Losses: Texas Tech
Overall Seed: 10 (I think they will sit around the 10-12 seed line for awhile unless they go 3-1 in their next four)

Once again we will know much, much more about not only Iowa State but also their competition after this upcoming week. The next four games ( @OSU, vs Baylor, vs Oklahoma, @KSU) are opportunities to add to the resume. Going 2-2 in those four games keeps them in the same spot. Going 3-1 would really go a long way to solidifying their spot in the dance.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Yes. We have quite the storied past with UCLA in the NCAA Tournament..
And Michigan State in the Elite 8.

**** MICHIGAN STATE!
**** MICHIGAN STATE!
**** MICHIGAN STATE!
**** MICHIGAN STATE!
**** MICHIGAN STATE!

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Lot of basketball left. Win 3 of 4 coming up and take down KU at home will do wonders!!! If ISU can find a way to finish in 2nd place, we should be looking at 4/5 seed.

Big week coming up.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
He had us as a 10 seed last week. 12 the week before

Correct.

Although strangely, it's actually a slight increase -- he had ISU at a 10 seed last week, but it was one of the play-ins. This is the first time ISU wasn't in his "First Four."

So even an 11 seed with "down arrow" is a slight upward swing, especially with 4 straight chances to improve the resume. Let's do it!

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
At this point I think 11 would be a great seed to have. Especially if the 6 we faced in our first game was a team that hadn't really faced our style of offense yet. If we could win that round we would get a 3 in the next round and anything can happen. Then we could become the Cinderella story of the tournament.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron