Offense > Defense

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes.

The schools with the money and facilities and TV/media time got the best players.

There was no 'prestige' or innocence to it. Ever.

@Lineup do you have a rebuttal to the idea the programs with more money and resources have gotten the best players over time?

Reactions: Lineup

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The idea that offense is more important than defense is asinine.
You make a profound statement so what evidence do you have that shows elite defense wins in March more than elite offense? I'm legitimately curious. I'm talking about college basketball as a whole, not just Iowa State teams.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I'm fine with double teaming everyone except Shannon. No one should have ever left him for any reason and we kept doing it. Make someone else beat you, I don't care if they get wide open shots or drives. Make ANYONE else beat you.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

Here are the offensive and defensive ranks entering the tournament for national champions the last 3 years. Feel free to explain your claim on how elite offense being more important than elite defense is "asinine".

YearTeamOffensive RankDefensive Rank
2023​
Uconn
6​
18​
2022​
Kansas
6​
29​
2021​
Baylor
3​
44​

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Well, they play in the Big 10. It is pretty physical. Moorehead St said the same thing about the physicality. The thing that is surprising and also is not, Illinois was a very good D to start the year but then the O took off and they got lazy on D. Big 10 tourney they started to turn it back on. So their D metrics are frankly very misleading. In addition, they are an OLD team which is a pretty big deal (see Kentucky lol).
Illinois defense was not anything great last night. And not even during their “run” have they been a good defense.

Iowa State’s offensive woes are well documented and unfortunately the 1st half was the exact offensive half that they’ve been prone to do. They’ve seen defenses far more physical than that one. Once the adjustments were made (far too late), the offense was fine. Except for the mental mistakes missing countless bunnies.

For Iowa State, that’s a team you have to beat and should expect to beat. Very disappointing to drop that one against a lower seeded team.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Remind me how the Hoiberg years went? Oh, that’s right - we had an elite offense and the results weren’t better than what we have now.

Since 2002 only 3 teams that won a championship weren’t a Kenpom top 10 offense. Syracuse and UConn twice. Top 10 offense with a combined with a top 25 defense wins championships in college basketball.

Hoibergs teams were barely top 100 defense.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gilbert even said is his postgame interview that ILL came out more physical than they were expecting
They did something I haven't see any other teams do, it was especially clear in the second half, where they were mucking up the screens away from the ball during the dribble handoff. You could see Jones/Ward standing all alone at the top of the key, where they defender dropped into the lane, and the cutter on the far side couldn't get through the screen. It did cause 2-3 fouls on Ill, but it messed up a lot of timing as well. They were really physical on those screens and curls and cuts.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Since 2002 only 3 teams that won a championship weren’t a Kenpom top 10 offense. Syracuse and UConn twice. Top 10 offense with a combined with a top 25 defense wins championships in college basketball.

Hoibergs teams were barely top 100 defense.
And Otz's first two years weren't Top 100 offenses. This year was, which is why this teams was closer - but not quite there yet. To get to the Final Four, you don't need a Top 10 offense, but you do need one that's Top 30

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
They did something I haven't see any other teams do, it was especially clear in the second half, where they were mucking up the screens away from the ball during the dribble handoff. You could see Jones/Ward standing all alone at the top of the key, where they defender dropped into the lane, and the cutter on the far side couldn't get through the screen. It did cause 2-3 fouls on Ill, but it messed up a lot of timing as well. They were really physical on those screens and curls and cuts.

Underwood is a decent coach.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
And Otz's first two years weren't Top 100 offenses. This year was, which is why this teams was closer - but not quite there yet. To get to the Final Four, you don't need a Top 10 offense, but you do need one that's Top 30

I wouldn’t say that, but you do need favorable matchups. For example, San Diego State was 75 in offense last year and made it to the championship game because of matchups (FAU). Then got blown out.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Years 1 and 2 we got to the tourney with spare parts and 1-2 streaky shooters. This year we had competent offensive players.

Hard for me to critique the staff, and I don’t have the answers, but there’s been stretches where it seems like the team doesn’t know what it’s trying to accomplish. First 10mins of 1H last night was one of those.

Not a fan of Pearl but he confirmed it at one of the commentaries. “I’m not sure what Iowa State is trying to do on offense”. It’s accurate. And overcoming stretches of that with grit isn’t enough against top flight competition.

Offensive stagnation needs to be identified and adjusted to 2-4 mins sooner. It seems like the solutions and talent are there. But we let it come to us and adjust a bit too organically.
we have been through multiple 4 plus minute droughts without any FGs. A lot of the time we get away with it because we won the game. But you are right, when the offense is struggling that bad, needs to addressed. It was obvious our guys were tight, nervous, not juiced up. TJ should have recognized that and called an early time out to get everyone settled down. Yes, I know I am Monday morning QBing. LOL.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The ironic part is that to me, besides Illinois' size (which was an issue all night), the biggest mistakes were the three passes intercepted and run back for uncontested slam dunks stuck out to me. Great anticipatory defense by Illinois. Doesn't really matter though. It was an even game and would be a fun 7 game series. However, in the one game that counted, Iowa State could have won the game with a little more of this or that, but Illinois deserved to win because of their little more of this or that. The Offense vs. Defense strengths / weaknesses evened out in my opinion.

Mar 26, 2024
Gotta stop on that first line.

Thst's the crap I hear from Bucky fans and in the current era I would not describe the B1G as having a lot of physical teams or at least compared to other conferences like it's unusual.

Bucky hated James Madison getting in to them after their B1G tourney run.

IIllinois cranked it up and hsve the guys to do it but they were pretty fluid overall on the season.
oh don't confuse the absolute pansy players at Wisky with the majority of the big 10.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Haven't read through the thread, but are people being realistic about the fact that TJ and staff obviously knows we have to be better on offense and that's why it's improved so much each year under him? Also, this year proved you don't have to simply give up on being elite on defense in order to improve your offense. I am confident we'll be an improved offense next season and still a great defensive team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron