Offense > Defense

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Can't be one or the other. Need both.

Milan has a normal or avg game and we win by 8 or 9 pts. Which is insane given how we played in the 1st half.
That's right, tj has us to the point where we are close, but we have to do both. Eventually you have to score. Can't just ignore it.

We can do this and that's great, if you want to be a national contender, you have to do both.

Next year is the year we can win a national title guys, it's on the table, but need the right guys in the portal.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
We have to get better offensively but the title of this thread is what I disagree with.
What part do you actually disagree with? Elite offense is more important than elite defense to make the Final Four; 2 minutes of looking at KenPom previous years proves that.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We did enough to win the game with our defense. We left 28 easy points on the court (11 for 25 at the rim).
I was just going to post this...make even 5 of these and the game is extremely different.

Go back and watch some of those shots...fading away, off balance, not squared up, not going to the hoop etc...Many basic things wrong that could have made a big difference.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I think the system TJ has put in place is a great plan to have success. This team doesn't have the offensive superstar but those won't be there consistently in the NIL world. Yet still 3 pts away from an elite 8.

If I had one complaint, I wish we did more to steal a few points with set plays and oob plays. The right play at the right time can be used to get a guy going who is struggling and help avoid long droughts.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Cheaper and easier to coach up defense than it is to pull high level offensive talent out of the portal. Unless folks are willing to go in on NIL in a huge way I see ISU as always being defense first.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
What part do you actually disagree with? Elite offense is more important than elite defense to make the Final Four; 2 minutes of looking at KenPom previous years proves that.
They are equal. You need to be top 25 in both as most champions are. One is absolutely NOT greater than the other. You have to be able to do both.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We’ve seen when we are great on offense and not defense and there is a ceiling. Neither one is more important than the other. You must be really good on both offense and defense to win national championships

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Yep, if TJ can improve our half court game, we definitely take the next step. It seems that's the next stage of growth in the program.
Yup, I hope he's smart enough to see it. We are getting there, but our scheme leads a lot to be desired.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Cheaper and easier to coach up defense than it is to pull high level offensive talent out of the portal. Unless folks are willing to go in on NIL in a huge way I see ISU as always being defense first.
That's fine, but you have to do both.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is dumb. Defense is how TJ turned the program around this quick and why we’ve been to two sweet 16s in the last 3 years. Hoiball didn’t get us that.

Built your program on toughness, discipline and defense. Sprinkle in some scorers.

globogym6

Jan 12, 2019
I disagree. Love the defense, we win this game by making a couple more layups. I do think TJ can tighten up on the situational defense. The two trips down the floor with about 4 minutes left where we doubled and gave up open threes killed us. Have to know when to switch it up and play straight up man to man.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's right, tj has us to the point where we are close, but we have to do both. Eventually you have to score. Can't just ignore it.

We can do this and that's great, if you want to be a national contender, you have to do both.

Next year is the year we can win a national title guys, it's on the table, but need the right guys in the portal.

Do you think offense was ignored this year, what with the vast improvement?

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
They are equal. You need to be top 25 in both as most champions are. One is absolutely NOT greater than the other. You have to be able to do both.
They’re not equal- at all. Go graph the offense and defensive ranks of national champions for the last decade and tell me what you see.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think they are pretty equal. They can become a better offense without slipping on defense. Maybe not a top 10 offense, but better than they are now.

Illinois played better defense than anybody expected tonight. If they played truly bad defense we'd have won even with the horrible start.

The lethal combo is if you can have the best defense, but also an unstoppable clutch scorer or group of clutch shooters. It's part of why I think our 2000 team really was the best team that season. We were a top 10ish defense, but also had the most unstoppable offensive player (really not debatable after KMart got hurt).

Reactions: NoCreativity

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
Year after year March proves the deeper you get into the tournament the more important offense becomes. If you look at efficiencies, the national champion for the last decade has always been near the top 10 for offense, defense not so much. Now that TJ has had time to get his guys in the building I hope next year we can start to become a threat on offense to take the program to the next level.
Uhh... statistics in trny over year has shown top 25 d and top 40 o.,.. so d is more important?

Reactions: Spam

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron