Not sure what is worse...

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I was throwing my best friend a bachelor where the whole thing was built around renting a cabin and watching basketball, drinking and doing other stuff for three days. I was the only ISU fan there with 13 other Iowa fans. I had to leave for the party five minutes after the UAB game ended. I blacked out most of the weekend.

So it was just a regular weekend for you?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm not sure what the "right" answer is but the UAB loss a few years ago really put a damper on what was a really fun and exciting season. That was one of the first games to tip off on Thursday and that game completely ruined the rest of the tournament for me, which sucks because I love college hoops. Yeah it sucks Iowa State isn't in the field this year but I will still watch a lot of games.

I think it was the very first game to tip off if my memory serves me correctly. What pissed me off the most about that one was that UAB didn't even play all that great. Like a fluky shooting night is forgivable - **** happens. They just sleepwalked through the whole damn game and UAB obliterated them on the glass, and that was that. I was more pissed off than I was sad. After the OSU game, I just felt bad for Georges and the rest of the team.

Happier tournament memory because screw this bad memory stuff - Beating Ol' Roy and UNC to advance in 2014. That one was sweet. I remember being sure that the refs were going to put time back on the clock and give UNC one last chance to win or send it into OT.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Honestly, the UAB loss may be more fresh, but I think that Hampton loss destroyed whatever portion of my soul that felt pain from losses like that. There's really no comparison, and perhaps the multiplier was that we went from there off the cliff, including the Eustachy debacle, never to return to glory until the Hoiberg years.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Go Penn! Makes me feel better after reading that article.

Actually UNI beating Kansas, the JV vs Varsity game against Michigan, beating the crap out of UCONN I think the year after they won it all, those are some good memories.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Honestly, the UAB loss may be more fresh, but I think that Hampton loss destroyed whatever portion of my soul that felt pain from losses like that. There's really no comparison, and perhaps the multiplier was that we went from there off the cliff, including the Eustachy debacle, never to return to glory until the Hoiberg years.

I take each difficult loss as hard as the previous one. Partly because I'm still relatively young and partly because I refuse to accept that this fanbase will always have a need for a nut cup.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It was more unbelievable in an era where that kind of seeded upset was very rare, and stung more how a routine layup that we as fans had seen, what, a hundred times in two seasons (?) simply didn't go in.

Th UAB loss was following years where two #2 seeds had lost on the same day, and several 3 seeds had been ousted in previous seasons too, so at least it was somewhat easier to find some silver liningish.

Always good to rehash some terrible moments though, amirite?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think it was the very first game to tip off if my memory serves me correctly. What pissed me off the most about that one was that UAB didn't even play all that great. Like a fluky shooting night is forgivable - **** happens. They just sleepwalked through the whole damn game and UAB obliterated them on the glass, and that was that. I was more pissed off than I was sad. After the OSU game, I just felt bad for Georges and the rest of the team.

Happier tournament memory because screw this bad memory stuff - Beating Ol' Roy and UNC to advance in 2014. That one was sweet. I remember being sure that the refs were going to put time back on the clock and give UNC one last chance to win or send it into OT.

They were killing us on the glass. All Hoiberg had to do was bring Edozie in and the problem would have been solved. Sure he wasn't skilled offensively, but he sure could defend and was super strong. He would have prevented some of those offensive rebound put backs that UAB killed us with. Hoiberg was just to stubborn to put him in, he was going to stay with the same 7 guys in that rotation that just were not getting it done.

• Funny
Reactions: WastedTalent

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Other than the Northwestern State game, it seems all the Hok heartbreak happened decades ago...guess not getting in the tourney has its upside :-o

• Funny
Reactions: CycloneVet

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
I've been watching March Madness with the same group of guys for numerous years. Being in Nebraska, most of them are NU Football and some other basketball fans (Duke, Kentucky, NC, Maryland, you know how they are). I know I won't be able to get through Thursday evening without someone mentioning Hampton.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hissssssss How dare you speak it's name!

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
This list is missing the most painful heartbreak of all: Losing Niang to his foot injury. That team was absolutely winning it all. You will never convince me otherwise as long as I live. Honestly, the second I found out his foot was broken I almost threw up I was so distraught. It was a harder pill to swallow than the Michigan State Elite 8 game. That team was loaded, and it was rolling when that happened.

83cy

May 14, 2006
I remember all of those loses vividly, but the Michigan State game is the worst for me.

Agree, we were ahead most of the game, 5 min into the 2nd half I convinced myself we were going to win and then win a national championship. Which if we had won we probably would have won it all.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Agree 100%.
Although it certainly would not be considered a “bad” loss, the most devastating loss to me was to Michigsn State in the elite 8 in 2000. We were playing the best bb of any team in America at the end of that season. We got screwed in seeding, had to practically play a home game for MSU and then were vicitimized by the famous blarge. If we ever had a team that could win it all, it was that team. Never watched the rerun of the game, not tough enough to take it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree 100%.
Although it certainly would not be considered a “bad” loss, the most devastating loss to me was to Michigsn State in the elite 8 in 2000. We were playing the best bb of any team in America at the end of that season. We got screwed in seeding, had to practically play a home game for MSU and then were vicitimized by the famous blarge. If we ever had a team that could win it all, it was that team. Never watched the rerun of the game, not tough enough to take it.

Yeah, I haven't rewatched it either.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Watching the Iowa - Northwestern St and UNI - TAMU meltdowns live:

giphy.gif

I don't remember how bad the Iowa vs Northwestern state meltdown was but the UNI one was just pitiful and painful to watch. I remember thinking, oh they got this, they just have to get the ball in and make the FTs, and then they just kept screwing up. Seemed like that last couple minutes lasted for an hour, like a super slow motion train wreck from 5 angles. It was epicly bad.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I don't remember how bad the Iowa vs Northwestern state meltdown was but the UNI one was just pitiful and painful to watch. I remember thinking, oh they got this, they just have to get the ball in and make the FTs, and then they just kept screwing up. Seemed like that last couple minutes lasted for an hour, like a super slow motion train wreck from 5 angles. It was epicly bad.

Why was it painful? I enjoyed every second of it.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What pissed me off the most about that one was that UAB didn't even play all that great. Like a fluky shooting night is forgivable - **** happens. They just sleepwalked through the whole damn game and UAB obliterated them on the glass, and that was that.

That's still close to the way I remember it. ISU looked the part of a 3 seed for maybe the first 8 or 10 minutes. UAB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for large stretches, but at least was motivated enough to scramble for loose balls and rebound clanked shots.

I wasn't angry or sad after the loss, mostly just numb. I stared at the TV for about 45 minutes while another game was on-screen, don't even remember who was playing.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The winning shot in the Northwestern State game went in over a player named Karma.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron