Niang popularity as a Cyclone

down2cyz

Jan 11, 2008
Saw Georges at the Cy-Hawk game today, got a discussion among our group about most popular Cyclone basketball player AFTER Fred Hoiberg. Niang was a an almost unanimous choice.
-4 year player
-successful tams while he was here
- related well to the community then and now.
Ejim and Morris were others mentioned but we agreed Georges was it.
Thoughts?

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Fred vs Niang: I think a lot has to do with the cyclone fans’ age. The 35 and younger crowd will likely say Niang is the most popular cyclone ever. The 35+ crowd may lean towards Fred.

Two legends. Niang seems to be much more relatable to today’s fan base

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Fred vs Niang: I think a lot has to do with the cyclone fans’ age. The 35 and younger crowd will likely say Niang is the most popular cyclone ever. The 35+ crowd may lean towards Fred.

Why thank you young man, for thinking I’m that young. :) Actually, I know several people closer to my age who appreciate his unselfishness and giving personality (does Georges Niang Trivia night and a golf tournament every summer for a different local entity (ex: boys and girls club), and like his genuine friendliness.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I started at ISU when we were still playing basketball in the old armory and I am for Georges all day everyday. Dude is our GOAT for relatability and likeability.

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018

Well over 35 here and it’s Georges without a doubt. Fred had his chance and decided to leave ISU. And now he is “home” at knebraska!! Doesn’t sound like the resume of a GREAT Cyclone in my book!!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Saw Georges at the Cy-Hawk game today, got a discussion among our group about most popular Cyclone basketball player AFTER Fred Hoiberg. Niang was a an almost unanimous choice.
-4 year player
-successful tams while he was here
- related well to the community then and now.
Ejim and Morris were others mentioned but we agreed Georges was it.
Thoughts?

Actually I'll put him ahead of Hoiberg because of continued impact on the Ames community after graduation. His charity weekend every summer. Really helps out local non profit organizations. Stevens was my favorite player for a long time ( though most would pick Hoiberg) but Georges outshines them all if you include his post playing contributions