Next Home-and-Homes?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Illinois, Mizzou, Minnesota, and Creighton make the most sense geographically. All within driving distance for our fans, usually competitive teams, and has regional appeal. If we wanted another cupcake could always try to add Nebraska back to the mix too :smile:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
MINNESOTA needs to happen. It is a natural geographic rivalry.

But personally I would like to see:
Ohio State
Indiana
Syracuse
Duke
UNC

Already have done this one. Would like to see it again, but somehow I think they are not going to be willing to come to Ames again. Have a hard time, (once teams see the magic) getting them to willingly come back.

Add Michigan to the list with OSU. I imagine the way they dropped App state like a hot potato, Michigan won't be looking our way again any time soon. They will fear The magic and they will be taking their ball and going home. I'm glad that we got them in for Johnny though.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Already have done this one. Would like to see it again, but somehow I think they are not going to be willing to come to Ames again. Have a hard time, (once teams see the magic) getting them to willingly come back.

Add Michigan to the list with OSU. I imagine the way they dropped App state like a hot potato, Michigan won't be looking our way again any time soon. They will fear The magic and they will be taking their ball and going home. I'm glad that we got them in for Johnny though.

Unfortunately they didn't even come to Ames with the last home and "home." It was in Des Moines.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Michigan State so we can scout some of our future transfers #lamejoke

I would like to see Syracuse, Uconn, or Georgetown.

No to Creighton, I never want to see that crap coach's face ever again.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Illinois, Indiana or Ohio State (or another major conference name) at the United Center in Chicago in Nov or Dec. I've been saying for years the ISU men should play a game in Chicago every season. This is a huge market in many ways - population, TV audience, hoops talent, etc. - and we have 8-9,000 alums in the area, so it's really a no-brainer. We got strong fan turnouts in late '09-10 when ISU played a couple games here, and I guarantee we'd do even better now with the direction the program is heading. What do you say, JP? Let's make it happen!

It seems like a game in chicago against a big 10 team, especially an OSU\Indiana\Illinois would be a road game without getting the credit for it being a road game.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Strange suggestion...but DePaul! That school has run its program into the ground but they are in the Big East and it would give us some exposure to Chicago. They are opening a new arena near Soldier Field...heck, play DePaul every year! If it were a weekend game and DePaul's "fans" are still apathetic we could spend a weekend in Chicago and it put enough ISU fans in that new place that it might sound like Hilton!

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
When you market ISU basketball, a big part of it is marketing Hilton and our fans. You don't get much mileage out of that playing a game in Chicago on TV.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
When you market ISU basketball, a big part of it is marketing Hilton and our fans. You don't get much mileage out of that playing a game in Chicago on TV.

I was thinking of playing there for exposure to Chicago kids themselves and it would be a matchup of two big conferences. I attended a KU-DePaul game there a few years back. Self wanted a Chicago game for two of the kids on his team (can't remember who...but one was a star) who played HS ball in Chicago. Bad thing for KU that day is that they blew a 16 point halftime lead and lost. Great game but All-State Arena sounded like it was Lawrence, KS...but it was awfully quiet at the end!

Side note: is there a program in the nation that has destroyed itself as much as DePaul? Ouch...embarrassing...

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Memphis.
If you went there for the bowl game and saw me on Beale St. at 4am, you would understand that I would travel there again.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Minnesota is the correct answer to this question. I know the coaches probably aren't keen for recruiting reasons, but if JP and the Minnesota AD like money, they should start scheduling that series ASAP. I think it would be a marquee non-conference rivalry for both teams.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron