New foreign commit - Giorgos Tsalmpouris

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Interesting. I really never expected us to sign a 7 footer with our style of play. I'll be curious to see how this pans out.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
It is the Grand Canyon sized leap you make from there were you go wrong.

It's a leap but not Grand Canyon sized - indirectly people are still questioning someone's judgement whether they know it or not. If you're saying "This guy looks pretty good but you have to look at the level of competition present" then you are questioning Hoiberg's judgement too.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
This is just awesome. Fred continues to find diamonds in the rough. It really shows how CFH always has something up his sleeve.

But TransferU, you must out -of-your-mind disappointed that Fred didn't get another transfer.

He's somehow building the premier basketball program int he state using a blend of: 4-yr HS commits / JUCO's / Transfers and foreign players. #DoingItTheRightWay

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I'm not down on him. Realistically, he'll probably play about the same minutes as Edozie or Gbson this year.

Ok, but comparing his minutes to Percy's was basically saying you don't think he's good enough to play virtually at all. I just don't get how you can already know that from watching a short highlight video, and know that this is the "realistic" point of view to take. Maybe you do think he can/will develop into a really good player, and at this point (just now getting a new 17 year old player) maybe that should be the focus. Not because its against the rules to be anything other than positive, but because its odd to only point out that a potential really good player won't play next year on the day we sign him.

All I know is that, I don't think Hoiberg is going to waste his time on even an average player across the ocean when its 10 times easier to just do that in America.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I think of it this way. Fred is a basketball master chef, and a 7-footer is an ingredient he has not tried yet.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Despite winning over Fred, he has some work to do to win over some of the recruiting expert analysts of Cyclone Fanatic.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
As others have stated, he reminds me a lot of Niang. Obviously he needs to hit the weights.

From the tape posted, here is what I see.
Pros
- Crafty
-For 7'1", athletic
-solid perimeter D
-Hustle
-Finds ways to score when bodied

Cons
-If someone gets physical, he could be taken out of the game
- Thin
-jumper needs some work (I think we have a coach that can help that)
-will need time to adjust to speed and athleticism of Big 12

He isn't an Austin type 7'1. I don't think he will be a force down low unless he packs on the good weight. However, he is going to be another tool for Hoiberg to create mismatches. Look for him to be very hot and cold until he puts on pounds to be solid down low.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Love how a kid is wanting to come from Greece to play for us, give all of his time and efforts into Iowa State basketball, yet some fans just want to criticize him before he even puts on an ISU jersey. I'm stoked to have a legit 7 footer. Welcome abroad Giorgos!

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
You aren't understanding what I'm saying. Everyone says "Fred knows what he's doing!" and "In Fred I trust!" but then people on here watch a 6 minute YouTube video (because I'm sure Fred and staff ONLY watched the same highlights) and want to go against what the coaching staff has basically decided in offering the kid a spot on the squad.

Can you quote anyone saying he shouldn't be on the squad?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It's a leap but not Grand Canyon sized - indirectly people are still questioning someone's judgement whether they know it or not. If you're saying "This guy looks pretty good but you have to look at the level of competition present" then you are questioning Hoiberg's judgement too.
No, they are assessing how ready he is to make an impact next year. Very far off from what you are suggesting. It is common for programs to take height that needs time to develop before they make an impact.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Can you quote anyone saying he shouldn't be on the squad?

Again, you are not understanding what I'm saying. There's a difference between raising an eyebrow and saying "this guy shouldn't be on the team." I never once said anybody said this, and again there's a difference between eyebrow raising and the other extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.