New Flowrestling Rankings

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
https://www.flowrestling.org/rankin...019-2020/31844-akron-sets-the-table-for-fargo

106-
15 Fr. Trever Anderson Ankeny IA
16 Fr. Marcel Lopez New London IA

113-
4 So. Drake Ayala Ft. Dodge IA

120-
3 Jr. Jesse Ybarra Sunnyside AZ Iowa

126-
4 Jr. Kysen Terukina Kamehameha HI
10 Jr. Cullan Schriever Mason City IA Iowa

132-
8 Jr. Cael Happel Lisbon IA UNI
9 So. Caleb Rathjen Ankeny IA

138-
3 So. Ryan Sokol Simley MN Iowa

145-
1 Jr. Jesse Vasquez Excelsior CA
17 So. Jagger Condomitti Northampton PA

152-
2 So. Victor Voinovich Brecksville OH
18 Jr. Cameron Robinson Council Rock N. PA Iowa St.

160-
1 So. Alex Facundo Davison MI

170-
1 Jr. Patrick Kennedy Kasson MN Iowa
3 Jr. Clayton Ulrey L. Dauphin PA
4 So. Paddy Gallagher St. Edward OH

195-
7 Jr. Gabe Christenson Southeast Polk IA Iowa
20 Fr. Wyatt Voelker W. Delaware IA

220-
5 Jr. Cody Fisher Woodward IA Iowa St.

HWT-
1 Jr. Nash Hutmacher Chamberlain SD

Cyclones have 2 commitments on the board right now. I have no idea if Nash is a lock for SDSU or Wisconsin, but that could make for a great class next year adding him to Robinson, Fisher, and possibly Kysen Terukina. Not sure who Clayton Ulrey is considering, but that would also be a huge addition.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
May be just my old timer perception, but Iowa hs wrestling has really fallen off from a national perspective. Which is not a great thing for Iowa State.
I don't think this is true. Don't forget about Iowa's population when looking at the big picture. The east coast is always perceived to be better because a lot of the kids wrestle in Beast of the East, Super 32, Ironman, etc. A lot of Iowa kids don't wrestle any big tournaments outside of Fargo.

California, Pennsylvania, NJ, Ohio, Oklahoma, etc. have always been great wrestling states. There are some really good youth clubs in Iowa right now and some really good young talent. I think the talent level is starting to rise again. Sebolt is doing a great job at getting these kids exposed to national talent.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
May be just my old timer perception, but Iowa hs wrestling has really fallen off from a national perspective. Which is not a great thing for Iowa State.
You had a kid who never was able to win an Iowa state title win a National Championship last year. I think especially in folk-style Iowa kids will continue to produce. Tanner Sloan was another obvious one who was not highly ranked at all coming out of HS, and then mowed down the field his freshman year and in Junior Nationals qualifying.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't think this is true. Don't forget about Iowa's population when looking at the big picture. The east coast is always perceived to be better because a lot of the kids wrestle in Beast of the East, Super 32, Ironman, etc. A lot of Iowa kids don't wrestle any big tournaments outside of Fargo.

California, Pennsylvania, NJ, Ohio, Oklahoma, etc. have always been great wrestling states. There are some really good youth clubs in Iowa right now and some really good young talent. I think the talent level is starting to rise again. Sebolt is doing a great job at getting these kids exposed to national talent.

Where there is a huge issue with Iowa HS wrestling is the different rules in different states. I know at things like national duals in middle school, the PA and OH schools (who used to come) said that their kids could wrestle either Varsity or at least JV. It showed as they were at a different speed than our kids. That is a nice advantage to have for your first year or two. Yes, our kids will catch up, but those first couple years of HS where the recognition heats up and rankings start getting formed, the other major states are at a large advantage to us.

The clubs have done a nice job and developing the higher end talent and the early, dedicated wrestlers. The issue comes when a kid who may try it in third grade area for the first time, goes out and gets destroyed at a couple tourneys by the higher end wrestlers and doesn't come back after a year or two. I have ran enough tourneys that requested you to "rank" your wrestler so we could slot them in competitive matches. I learned that a couple clubs were more concerned about their kids winning early, maybe to hold them, that they would rank there kids as 50/50 wrestlers when they were state semi-finalists in AAU tourneys. In fact, I have seen several clubs struggle in my area due to the higher end clubs and either cut nights due to attendance or a few just fold up. Maybe 1/4 -1/3 go to a larger club, but the vast majority stay home or play basketball.

Just my experience having a wrestler who just graduated and a younger one who changed to basketball completely this year, plus having helped with AAU tourneys a decent amount. I was very active in our local club, but from when my oldest started to when he graduated, the youth program is way down and this is from a town that was known for its wrestling.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

I think this has been the case for the last 10-15 years, but I think it's starting to make a rebound. Fact is, the East (OH, PA, NY, NJ, VA) , while always good, got much better starting 15-20 years ago.

There are a couple of things that I think led to this, which are closely tied to one another.

First, the club wrestling programs really started taking off and aligning themselves with Prep schools which are much more prevalent in the East. You now have wrestlers who are wrestling the best of the best on a daily basis in the room and then going to National tournaments like the Best of the East, Ironman, etc. Iowa kids can choose to go to Fargo in the summer, but as far as school sponsored big events, there is not nearly as much. Club wrestling, such as Seabolts is making a lot of inroads and starting to close that gap.

Secondly, Flowrestling seized control of the wrestling media around this same time. Especially when they first started, Flo had a heavy East coast bent. Covering these big events made the popularity explode in these states. I also think in the last 3-5 years as Flo has grown, they have gotten a much more national focus and are getting better about covering other regions.

Both of these things have lead to there being a gap between the really elite wrestlers and the ones who can develop in college. Sure you have the occasional Drew Foster, but they are far fewer than they were in the past. It would be really interesting to see how kids like Brands, Ironside, Schwab, Voelker, Krieger etc. would fair in today's environment. Those were all guys with a lot of drive, but not much national experience.

jmb1498

Dec 13, 2014
Raleigh NC
I think this has been the case for the last 10-15 years, but I think it's starting to make a rebound. Fact is, the East (OH, PA, NY, NJ, VA) , while always good, got much better starting 15-20 years ago.

There are a couple of things that I think led to this, which are closely tied to one another.

First, the club wrestling programs really started taking off and aligning themselves with Prep schools which are much more prevalent in the East. You now have wrestlers who are wrestling the best of the best on a daily basis in the room and then going to National tournaments like the Best of the East, Ironman, etc. Iowa kids can choose to go to Fargo in the summer, but as far as school sponsored big events, there is not nearly as much. Club wrestling, such as Seabolts is making a lot of inroads and starting to close that gap.

Secondly, Flowrestling seized control of the wrestling media around this same time. Especially when they first started, Flo had a heavy East coast bent. Covering these big events made the popularity explode in these states. I also think in the last 3-5 years as Flo has grown, they have gotten a much more national focus and are getting better about covering other regions.

Both of these things have lead to there being a gap between the really elite wrestlers and the ones who can develop in college. Sure you have the occasional Drew Foster, but they are far fewer than they were in the past. It would be really interesting to see how kids like Brands, Ironside, Schwab, Voelker, Krieger etc. would fair in today's environment. Those were all guys with a lot of drive, but not much national experience.
They would be National Champions!

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
HWT-
1 Jr. Nash Hutmacher Chamberlain SD

Cyclones have 2 commitments on the board right now. I have no idea if Nash is a lock for SDSU or Wisconsin, but that could make for a great class next year adding him to Robinson, Fisher, and possibly Kysen Terukina. Not sure who Clayton Ulrey is considering, but that would also be a huge addition.[/QUOTE]

Nash Hutmacher is committed to Nebraska for football. Won't be wrestling in college.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Heard will probably stay out East
Who? Ulrey? If so that sucks, he’s a stud.

Not trying to be a debby downer here but our recruiting needs a big upgrade. We have landed one blue chip recruit with the new staff and he was a legacy recruit (and his dad was hired on the CRTC staff). Reeves is a big time recruit but I wouldn’t consider him blue-chip (I’d usually give the top 10-14 kids in the country each year that ranking, 5 star). Anderson would have been another but I personally don’t think he ever wrestles in college at any level. Huge waste of elite talent there.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa

Not trying to be a debby downer here but our recruiting needs a big upgrade. We have landed one blue chip recruit with the new staff and he was a legacy recruit (and his dad was hired on the CRTC staff). Reeves is a big time recruit but I wouldn’t consider him blue-chip (I’d usually give the top 10-14 kids in the country each year that ranking, 5 star). Anderson would have been another but I personally don’t think he ever wrestles in college at any level. Huge waste of elite talent there.

Yep Ulrey

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

While I am glad we have built a lot of quality depth, we seem to keep missing out on all the big recruits. Cyclones seem to be in on everyone and land no one. I haven't lost hope for the staff and I know it takes time, just frustrating to miss out on so many big names.
We have done really well in-state. I am also surprised we haven't landed any other transfers other than Mackall.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone