New Fishing Pole Advice

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Thanks. I should of clarified. Looking for a pole for myself. He’s got a little Spider-Man one he can operate pretty well. Caught a few nice large mouth with it.

Side note, actually it’s his second Spider-Man pole. The first one he casted right off a dock and it sank immediately. It was so traumatic for the little guy I was worried I wouldn’t get him back out to the water again.

a lanyard on the pole might not be a horrible idea.

Reactions: JM4CY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
source.gif

tenor.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Might be a little pricier, but the first time I used a baitcast reel with a braided line was like the first time I heard The Beatles.
And the first time you get backlash on that MF is like being stuck in an elevator with McCartney’s “simply having a wonderful Christmas time” on and endless loop.
Actually I have an old Quantum Iron baitcaster I shelled out like $50 for when I was in HS like 25 years ago. With 12-14 lb mono I can still outcast anybody with that thing.
Personally I think if a guy in Iowa had to get one rod and reel just get a Medium action 6’6” spinning combo. You have to about try to build a spinning reel that won’t work.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Thanks. I should of clarified. Looking for a pole for myself. He’s got a little Spider-Man one he can operate pretty well. Caught a few nice large mouth with it.

Side note, actually it’s his second Spider-Man pole. The first one he casted right off a dock and it sank immediately. It was so traumatic for the little guy I was worried I wouldn’t get him back out to the water again.
Seems like you need to get a Spider-Man pole yourself.

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
Ok. I've looked at some prices. Seems reasonable (along with CF recommendations which of course is priceless) for a good reel.

So I don't sound like a complete moron even more than I will going into a local place to take a look at them first hand, how do you pronounce "Pfluger"? Is the P silent?
Yes Fluger. And I have couple president reels and they have been very reliable. I would get a lighter action rod, it makes catching smaller pond type fish more exciting.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
And the first time you get backlash on that MF is like being stuck in an elevator with McCartney’s “simply having a wonderful Christmas time” on and endless loop.
Actually I have an old Quantum Iron baitcaster I shelled out like $50 for when I was in HS like 25 years ago. With 12-14 lb mono I can still outcast anybody with that thing.
Personally I think if a guy in Iowa had to get one rod and reel just get a Medium action 6’6” spinning combo. You have to about try to build a spinning reel that won’t work.
I never figured out the baitcast but my dad got some good laughs at me trying to untangle that mofo while he fished.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Novice fisherman here. Fished as a kid then took a 15 year hiatus. Got back into during the covid crap with my 5 yr old son. Been using an old open reel that’s got some issues. Want to invest in something nice but not interested in spend a ton of money. We fish in a couple backwater areas in NE Iowa. Nothing crazy. TIA

I'm pretty much exact same situation as you. Trying to get back into it after years of nothing. What are the recommended types of line for a spin cast vs bait cast?

Do I have to use a steel leader if fishing for walleye or pike?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yep that's a pretty universal set up for almost all normally sized species anywhere really.

When I used to spin fish I'd use ultra light rods and smaller reels with 4 lb test with a marabou jig. Was always a little interesting when a decent sized catfish came around.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I'm pretty much exact same situation as you. Trying to get back into it after years of nothing. What are the recommended types of line for a spin cast vs bait cast?

Don't buy a baitcast reel if you're a novice. A spinning reel has a much shorter learning curve. As far using a steel leader... pike yes, walleyes no.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Hand fishing is the purest and most economical.
Nothing like hand combat with a 8 inch pond sunfish.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

This is my experience with bait casters, even with the magnets in them to stop the rats nest. I know a lot of people love them, but I could never get it to work for me, and I really tried hard.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Was going to say get an Ugly Stick with a Quantum open face reel but just looked and they've gone way up in price over the last 10ish years from what I can tell.
I think Shakespeare has completely changed the price point on the Ugly Stik line. The ones I bought in HS were 100% fiberglass I want to say. And also indestructible. And cheap. I bought a GX2 a couple years ago and it's a completely different rod, at a higher quality, compared to its predecessors.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is my experience with bait casters, even with the magnets in them to stop the rats nest. I know a lot of people love them, but I could never get it to work for me, and I really tried hard.
It takes practice that usually leads to stopping short (RIP Jerry Stiller) until you get it down. Was fishing with my kids a couple weeks ago and explaining why baitcasters are tough, but was bragging how I hadn’t had a case of backlash in like 10 years. Sure enough within 10 mins caught a weed or something with my lure as I was casting and had a rats nest that took me 30 mins to clear out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yep that's a pretty universal set up for almost all normally sized species anywhere really.

When I used to spin fish I'd use ultra light rods and smaller reels with 4 lb test with a marabou jig. Was always a little interesting when a decent sized catfish came around.

I’m also a big fan of light gear. Years ago caught a 5.5 lb largemouth on 8 lb ultra thin line and med/light gear. I also really like using the lighter gear with unweighted Texas rigs. Between that and topwaters it’s tough to beat the fun.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hand fishing is the purest and most economical.
Nothing like hand combat with a 8 inch pond sunfish.

I lived in Oklahoma in my Mid 20s and 2 of my neighbors taught me the art of noodling. Don't have a lot of pics but here's one day's haul. Sorry for the poor quality but this is scan of an old Polaroid. We donated the meat to the local fire department for a fish fry.

OK Catfish.jpg

Reactions: RedDog and arobb

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I lived in Oklahoma in my Mid 20s and 2 of my neighbors taught me the art of noodling. Don't have a lot of pics but here's one day's haul. Sorry for the poor quality but this is scan of an old Polaroid. We donated the meat to the local fire department for a fish fry.

View attachment 72936

You one of the older dudes on the outside with the red hat? Couldn't have a UNI shirt on.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm not a huge fisherman either but doesn't it depend on what kind of fishing he's doing? i.e. - casting spinner baits or throwing out a bobber.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009

I never have for walleye, but if I'm casting for northerns, I like a 6" steel leader -- maybe 30 lb test. I like either 6 lb test mono line for walleyes, or 14 lb spider wire.