New Fishing Pole Advice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Novice fisherman here. Fished as a kid then took a 15 year hiatus. Got back into during the covid crap with my 5 yr old son. Been using an old open reel that’s got some issues. Want to invest in something nice but not interested in spend a ton of money. We fish in a couple backwater areas in NE Iowa. Nothing crazy. TIA

Reactions: 1100011CS

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was going to say get an Ugly Stick with a Quantum open face reel but just looked and they've gone way up in price over the last 10ish years from what I can tell.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Was going to say get an Ugly Stick with a Quantum open face reel but just looked and they've gone way up in price over the last 10ish years from what I can tell.
Thanks. Define way up in price? I really don’t have a good gauge on what I might even been looking at for a price on this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks. Define way up in price? I really don’t have a good gauge on what I might even been looking at for a price on this.

I swear Ugly Sticks used to be like $40 and those reels were around $20 but maybe I'm wrong.

Any idea on what sorts of species you'd come across? Iirc Shakespeare used to be pretty good.

Just came upon this that's maybe pretty good and not breaking the bank.

https://www.scheels.com/p/ugly-stik...MI2-zSufST6gIVSr3ACh3STglBEAQYAiABEgKNEfD_BwE

I haven't used spinning gear consistently in years...if you'd like to go down the rabbit hole of fly fishing PM me. :D

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I swear Ugly Sticks used to be like $40 and those reels were around $20 but maybe I'm wrong.

Any idea on what sorts of species you'd come across? Iirc Shakespeare used to be pretty good.

Just came upon this that's maybe pretty good and not breaking the bank.

https://www.scheels.com/p/ugly-stik...MI2-zSufST6gIVSr3ACh3STglBEAQYAiABEgKNEfD_BwE

I haven't used spinning gear consistently in years...if you'd like to go down the rabbit hole of fly fishing PM me. :D
Well I would be interested in fly fishing since were going out to Colorado in a week but I don’t know that I’m gonna drop any money on that being clueless about that. It’s fun and someday I’d like to get into it though.

Reactions: madguy30

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Pflueger President's are great spinning reels for the money. I'd suggest model PRESSP30X for general all around use. Everyone has a different feel for rods, so you're better off going and handling a few at the store. Probably a 6.5' or 7' medium action will suit most needs in Iowa.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Pflueger President's are great spinning reels for the money. I'd suggest model PRESSP30X for general all around use. Everyone has a different feel for rods, so you're better off going and handling a few at the store. Probably a 6.5' or 7' medium action will suit most needs in Iowa.

Agree with the pflueger presidential line. I’ve had one for the past 8 years and it’s been flawless.

Reactions: arobb

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Mills Fleet & Farm is your friend for fishing supplies. Huge selection at a reasonable price

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Mills Fleet & Farm is your friend for fishing supplies. Huge selection at a reasonable price

Fleet Farm is also pretty good place to get fishing stuff. I got a real nice combo, open face Berkley Lightning rod, for $35 or $40 at Christmas time.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
With a 5 yr old son, I would look at a cheap spin cast outfit in which he can learn some of the mechanics of a reel - Zebco, pflueger. That way he can graduate up the line and understand basics first.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With a 5 yr old son, I would look at a cheap spin cast outfit in which he can learn some of the mechanics of a reel - Zebco, pflueger. That way he can graduate up the line and understand basics first.
Thanks. I should of clarified. Looking for a pole for myself. He’s got a little Spider-Man one he can operate pretty well. Caught a few nice large mouth with it.

Side note, actually it’s his second Spider-Man pole. The first one he casted right off a dock and it sank immediately. It was so traumatic for the little guy I was worried I wouldn’t get him back out to the water again.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Might be a little pricier, but the first time I used a baitcast reel with a braided line was like the first time I heard The Beatles.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd go with whatever Andy's carrying.

61H8RflhWCL._AC_.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok. I've looked at some prices. Seems reasonable (along with CF recommendations which of course is priceless) for a good reel.

So I don't sound like a complete moron even more than I will going into a local place to take a look at them first hand, how do you pronounce "Pfluger"? Is the P silent?