New FB Coach - Mike McCall

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm working solely off memory here, but I seem to remember Northwestern having some pretty good offenses in years past.

Since the b1g expanded his offenses have finsihed 10th,14th, 4th, 5th, 12th and 13th in total offense...not really that great, especially in that league. However, NW has always been a defensive minded, low possession type of offense though so that can skew the numbers.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Since the b1g expanded his offenses have finsihed 10th,14th, 4th, 5th, 12th and 13th in total offense...not really that great, especially in that league. However, NW has always been a defensive minded, low possession type of offense though so that can skew the numbers.

I seem to remember some good years with that Thorson kid.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I don't think its ever bad to hire someone from a higher position to a lower position. Like someone with head coach experience in the power five as your coordinator. Or someone with coordinator experience as a position coach. Coming from a run first team, I think he is a solid hire as a run game coordinator. Also great to get Manning moved to tight ends, I expect huge things out of Kolar!

I'll admit an extremely small minor disappointment though. I'm hoping for Campbell to develop a coaching tree while at ISU. I get exited for guys like Golesh to move on to bigger things. My disappointment is that I was hoping for more young, "up and comers" to get hired so that we can see that tree developed.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think he is a good hire for ISU. Last year was pretty much a train wreck for NW on offense in terms of injuries. It happens. He looked like he knew what he was doing in previous years. Also, I don't think it is a bad thing for Campbell to added a guy that has been around coaching for a while. His staff is pretty darn young, especially on the offensive side of the ball. Sometimes those old guys can be a stabilizing factor.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Wasn't he fired from Northwestern due to his lack of creativity?

That is true but this is also true...

“Mick was one of the first hires I made when given the honor of leading this program, and has been a trusted colleague and loyal friend for almost my entire tenure,” said Fitzgerald. “He’s guided our offense through unquestionably one of the most successful periods in Wildcats history, with four bowl championships and nine postseason appearances. Mick recruited and coached great student-athletes and exceptional young men who have made the Northwestern community proud in so many ways after graduation.”
McCall groomed three future NFL quarterbacks in his 12 years with the Wildcats.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think he is a good hire for ISU.... He looked like he knew what he was doing in previous years. Also, I don't think it is a bad thing for Campbell to added a guy that has been around coaching for a while. His staff is pretty darn young, especially on
the offensive side of the ball.

Sometimes those old guys can be a stabilizing factor.

Agree. McCall has done some really good things at NW. I know the release says he'll coach RBs, but he brings a lot to the table and will help Campbell with the offense beyond just that position group.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
In his defense, Lincoln Riley couldn’t have put up points with their QB situation this year. They thought Hunter Johnson could be the answer because he was the 2nd highest rated QB recruit in the Big 10 last year. However, turns out just because you can shred 7 on 7 in basketball shorts doesn’t make you a P5 level QB. Then the guy who replaces Johnson went down and they were stuck with a 3rd string QB for most of the season.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone