Net Worth private poll

What is your houshold net worth? Private Poll

• Negative (you owe more than what you're worth)

Votes: 65 20.8%
  • 0-$50,000

Votes: 56 17.9%
  • $50,000-$100,000

Votes: 41 13.1%
  • $100,000-$250,000

Votes: 34 10.9%
  • $250,000-$500,000

Votes: 40 12.8%
  • $500,000-$750,000

Votes: 28 9.0%
  • $750,000-$1,000,000

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • $1,000,000+

Votes: 34 10.9%

• Total voters

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'll be the first to publicly acknowledge that we're in the negative. When you're 25 and own a house and two cars, it's hard not to be. We were a middle-class family growing up and that means you go through college and the younger years working hard and accumulating debt on the family-life necessities to spend the rest of your 20's and/or 30's paying off.

In today's society; it's more or less customary to live your life digging out of a whole rather than building a mound - obviously not the way it should be. While I'd love to be building wealth instead of debt - it's going to take time to right the ship before we can set sail. Both my wife and I earn a decent salary but when you want to live life with a house, two cars, two dogs and have nice things in your house, it adds up quickly and takes a long-time to pay-off.

We weren't always even middle class! :wink:

Even with medical bills, student loans, etc., we're doing pretty well in comparison to our peers (friends we grew up with who grew up in like circumstances). Upward mobility is the hard part, though.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I am in one of the higher categories since I am old... NOT the $1M one, and yes, I am complaining about the rising costs of going to games.

Funny, you don't look Druish. :wink:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Lindsay Lohan is broke. I feel ok with my status then.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Let's get back to the subject at hand. Shall we.

So please choose your 'factual' net worth and lets leave out how sexy or not bostinelosd deems himself. OK?

clones26

Nov 8, 2006
Urbandale
"Gee, I can't wait till I get to hike school"-elementary schooler
"Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it."-Billy

This is how I feel now, if it wasnt for student loans I might be in the positive as a 24 year old with a kid on the way..uh oh. I look back at college and wish I had worked more and borrowed less, almost $60k in student loans isnt fun, but hey only 19 years left to pay on them.:err:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it."-Billy

This is how I feel now, if it wasnt for student loans I might be in the positive as a 24 year old with a kid on the way..uh oh. I look back at college and wish I had worked more and borrowed less, almost $60k in student loans isnt fun, but hey only 19 years left to pay on them.:err:

I hear that! And two crappy jobs outside of college didnt pay well enough to get me going either. So add a house, two kids, a wife, and two cars, Ill be in deep for a bit. I did however invest early so I do have some financial backup in case the poo hits the fan.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I was lucky and had people willing to help me out in college, so I only have about $2,000 of student loans. However, I also got married, went on a honeymoon, had a child, bought 2 cars in college and then a house soon after...so here we are. We're making headway on debt, but we could do better, I figure I'm only 23 so I still have some time before I should start worrying to much.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
is this is pesos? I need to know before i vote.

-keep

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
If this isn't a "big nut" contest, then what is it? Why are we talking and sharing about such information? This seems like a waste of time to me....
Oh yeah, we're on the internet. :cool:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

19 years left to pay on student loans? Holy crap, you know I guess so. I know a few people here at the office that are 35 and are talking about trying to get their loans paid off in the next few years. I guess I never thought about how much of a hole that puts you in. Time to sock more into 529's for the kids I guess.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Try having 2 kids and then get divorced. You can't write off child support. :) Plus you pay taxes on the income before it goes out the door...

That being said, if you are young, get out of debt as fast as you can and make sacrifices to do so. When you are 40, or so, you will be SO happy you did because all your money will be working for you instead of working for somebody else.

Young people are not instructed on how to manage their money. You usually learn by mistakes, and no, divorce wasn't a mistake. Marriage was. :)

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
I track the heck out of this sort of thing, my red/black worksheet, amognst all other things financial. I call it "organized", my wife calls it "anal".

This topic is interesting to me. In recent years, I've been tracking this a lot more. We've had some huge expenditures over the last 18 to 24 months, along with building a house in late 2003. I've tried to off-set those by entering into some investment opportunities that have come along, but it's too early in those to be seeing any monetary gain.

Clones_jer, I'd like to be able to track these Net Worth items/details better. Is there any spreadsheets/tools/templates/etc. that you use or would recommend?

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Interesting question. I have avoided bringing up work topics on here, but managing net worth is what I do for a living. Every day I know mine and my clients know theirs.

I've never done this anonymously over the internet before, but if anyone is interested, PM me I guess.

http://www.livingbalancesheet.net

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Recently graduated student with student loans, I wonder where my net worth falls right now...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If this isn't a "big nut" contest, then what is it? Why are we talking and sharing about such information? This seems like a waste of time to me....
Oh yeah, we're on the internet. :cool:

Those that have posted information about their economic situation may be playing this game but the poll itself is private.