Needing Washing Machine Recommendations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Ive heard these are effective. Bonus: you get some arm exercise in while you wash clothes!
Washboards.jpg

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
DON'T buy Samsung. We bought a Samsung top load Washer and matching dryer this spring and the washer quit working after 4 weeks. They don't have local technicians (live in DSM Metro) to come out and work on your unit so they wanted to credit me what I paid for the washer and have me go buy a new one. The problem was that I bought the unit at Nebraska Furniture Mart on a ridiculous sale so I wasn't going to be able to replace it at the same cost. Eventually i got Samsung to agree to just replace it but they had to work through NFM to get it replaced. Samsung took their sweet time getting the paperwork to NFM so I called the store and they went ahead and replaced the unit and said they would figure it out with Samsung later. The Samsung customer service was absolutely horrible and long story short we went without a washer for almost a month. Anytime you talked to a customer service rep there was a 48 hr window before they could actually do anything. It was beyond ridiculous.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah Id avoid Samsung. We have had our washer/dryer for two years. Had the recall for exploding washers on bedding setting taken care of, and it was a giant pain scheduling with the repair company, who was a Dish Network technician. Our dryer started making some odd noises about 8 months ago, so we had it serviced under warranty. About two months later, it quit working so we had it serviced again. Attached is the problem we had. Not sure if it was the first service call who didn't ground the plug properly or it was the original manufacturer, but we are very lucky the house didn't burn. Also, to top it off, the damn warranty covered the labor charges to fix the issue, but would not cover the cost for a new cord. So I had to run to Menards and buy a new one myself (given it was only $6, but really?).

1332038931675625269%253Faccount_id%253D1

• Dislike
Reactions: Bobber

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have had Samsung washer and dryer (washer top load) for over four years now without an issue. Not sure if it matters but we have also moved twice in this time frame as well so it has been moved and jostled a few times.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I bought an Amana top load washer/dryer set 6 or 7 years ago and have had 0 issues with them. I haven't had to service a thing even after moving them 4 times in that period. The real agitator in he middle gets my work clothes and sons clothes (both of which can get very dirty) clean. We bought a house a couple months ago with a whirlpool top load set in it and I actually just changed them out this weekend and started using our Amanas again. I really don't see why I would spend all that money to get one of the expensive sets.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I have heard goo things about Speed Queen??

But I personally, after going through 2 top load HE washing machines in the last 9 years, just purchased the cheapest washing machine I could find. A Kenmore top load no thing in the middle, and my wife loves it. my thought was why spend $1000 every couple years. Instead I will spend $400.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
About half a year ago we bought a Maytag MVWB766FW (high efficiency top loader) to replace our 25 yr old Maytag that finally gave out on us. Has been great so far. The 5 yr parts and labor warranty was what won us over and having had good experience with Maytag in the past. Didn't want to get a Maytag at first (still bitter about what they did to some people I know in Newton) but after looking at Consumer Reports, talking with friends & family, and with what was offered locally, we determined it was the best option for us.

There are still some water puddles inside after a load is done so we leave the lid open to dry it out and stave off mold. Fortunately it has a soft close lid so my worry about the lid being slammed down and breaking is reduced.

We just had a horrible experience with Maytag and will never buy another appliance from them. Bought a very expensive washing machine and it quit in month 13 (not sure how you got a five year warranty but ours was only a year). To their credit, and our pleasant surprise, they honored the warranty and sent out their contracted service company. After four visits (with a vacation day required for each), three months, and probably six hours on the phone with the Maytag, they sent out a different service company and we are still waiting for results, hope to have resolution today. What really pisses me off with them is that they wasted more of my time than the machine is even worth and they still refused to just replace the damn thing even though they are spending more on replacement parts and paying the service company (motor, whatever the spinning thing is called, and something else went out) than a new machine would have cost them.

Long story short, I would have been better off throwing the thing away on the day it quit and buying a new machine (non Maytag of course). Basically it is a disposable product, don't expect it to last any significant amount of time beyond it's warranty. Too bad, they used to be such a good company.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've been very disappointed with all my Whirlpool appliances. Had a very costly ice maker repair on the fridge and the stove/oven acts up a lot when it gets too hot. Which happens in an oven . . .

We need to replace our washer and dryer this year or next and I've all but decided on the LG. Hadn't heard all that many bad things about them.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Bought a cheap set of Admirals (Whirlpool) about 3 years ago that get the job done. Washer is top load, HE, and agitatorless. Only complaint is that I have to run an extra rinse cycle for dark loads because the combo of HE and no agitator was leaving white soap residue on some items.

• Agree
Reactions: JMA1125

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have heard goo things about Speed Queen??

But I personally, after going through 2 top load HE washing machines in the last 9 years, just purchased the cheapest washing machine I could find. A Kenmore top load no thing in the middle, and my wife loves it. my thought was why spend $1000 every couple years. Instead I will spend $400.

My mom has a speed queen (regular efficiency) and loves it. I believe those are made in the US too.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
DON'T buy Samsung. We bought a Samsung top load Washer and matching dryer this spring and the washer quit working after 4 weeks. They don't have local technicians (live in DSM Metro) to come out and work on your unit so they wanted to credit me what I paid for the washer and have me go buy a new one. The problem was that I bought the unit at Nebraska Furniture Mart on a ridiculous sale so I wasn't going to be able to replace it at the same cost. Eventually i got Samsung to agree to just replace it but they had to work through NFM to get it replaced. Samsung took their sweet time getting the paperwork to NFM so I called the store and they went ahead and replaced the unit and said they would figure it out with Samsung later. The Samsung customer service was absolutely horrible and long story short we went without a washer for almost a month. Anytime you talked to a customer service rep there was a 48 hr window before they could actually do anything. It was beyond ridiculous.

Completely agree but I was able to keep ours going a whole 2 years or so. If you want an old school well built machine we purchased a Speed Queen after our Samsung POS. Built really well but doesn't have the useless "features" of most new machines. It's also louder than many of the others but that is fine with me. Haven't even looked at it much after getting it installed.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My only $.02 is find one with a true agitator in the middle. Our Samsung has the style where just the base and sides move opposite directions to create the motion to clean the clothes. I hate it, my clothes don't get near as clean, that style to me just doesn't move the clothes around enough to create the scrubbing you need.

Our Kenmore is about 19 years old and still chugging along. We've looked at newer models anticipating having to replace it soon. Along the way, I've had several salespeople steer me away from the more expensive agitator-less machines (I love it when the sale staff is some older lady that will shoot you straight!).

The trend is to eliminate the agitator to increase load capacity, but I've been told repeatedly that they don't clean as well. Fortunately, there are only 3 of us and I don't need a washer that can hold half of my wardrobe.

FWIW, the lady at Home Depot said they had something like 80-90% of their Samsung washers returned or complained about. She seemed to think they hadn't gotten up to speed with the other brands just yet.

Last edited:

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
My two cents: we love our Maytag Bravos washer (top load) and dryer. We bought them at Harris TV and Appliance in Ames in 2013 or 2014. We haven't had any issues with them and they get our clothes very clean. I think it's a good sign that you don't think of your washer and dryer, and we haven't had to think of either for the past 3 or 4 years (knock on wood / famous last words).

I also second all the positive sentiment about buying a top-loading washer.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Our Kenmore is at least 10 years old and working just fine. When it croaks will get a top loader that is HE and will get agitator. Have been impressed with how much drier clothes are coming out of HE machines we have used on trips. Repairman I know well told me to get a top loading machine and to avoid LG and Samsung because it's very hard to find people to work on them.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
We've had a Whirlpool Cabrio High Efficiency top load for about 10 years. Only one issue I can recall, and that was having the circuit board for the controls replaced under warranty very early on. I'd recommend one.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Very happy with the GE set we have. They are front load and come in "right height" so we didn't have to buy pedestals. I had them at my previous house and left them when I sold it and then bought the same thing at my new house. We bought them from NFM. The salespeople at NFM have told me Samsung and LG are garbage and don't waste your money on them.

https://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=47849658

hurricane

Sep 23, 2007
Much against the advice of some of my friends and family, I bought the cheapest Amana top loader and electric dryer at Menards. It is the ****, I paid $266 a piece for them and I feel they get clothes cleaner than my parents fancy high dollar maytag front loader. It has a one year factory warranty and then American Express doubles that warranty, so hopefully it breaks in that window since dealing with AMEX warranty center is a breeze.

• Winner
Reactions: AgronAlum