Needing Washing Machine Recommendations

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Anyone have recommendations on a good top loading washing machine they either recently purchased or have and had good experience with?

Never again will we buy a front loading washing machine. Ours has been a complete lemon and now that the warranty has run out and it's acting up once again we are just going to bite the bullet and replace it after just 4 years. I hate doing that but it's been a sore subject in our house for years now every time it is not working right. Tried to get it completely replaced while it was still under warranty but despite a long list of service calls on it Whirlpool/Home Depot refused to replace it under the warranty plan we purchased. Now that it's no longer under warranty not interested in spending around $100 just for someone to come out and diagnose the latest problem then likely have to pump a couple hundred more in repairs since just about every time it has been something with the electronics. Would rather just spend that money towards a new one and rid ourselves of an appliance that has caused us nothing but frustration. Front loaders seem like a good thing but after owning one am ready to go back to a top loader, especially won't miss the constant cleaning from the mold build up on the front seal.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That seems odd for a Whirlpool. I’ve always had good luck with any of their appliances.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If my 30 year old Sears top loader ever dies I am going old school and contract my laundry out to these French gals.

the_washerwomen.jpg

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We've had good luck with our Samsung, although it is a front-loader. The vixen is short (she is always complaining about her T-Rex arms) and she thought the front load feature would make her life easier.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
DO NOT BUY A LG! Front load top load whatever- biggest POS ever- electronics are bad so it says the load is unbalanced. It takes 4 hrs to do a load. This week the drum arm broke and came away from the side. The machine is less than 4 years old.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have a top loading kenmore high efficiency washer and really like it.

I completely agree about the side loaders.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I have a Samsung top load. It's been good for the 2 years we've had it. Though I think it might have a recall on it for exploding on a certain setting.

I'd look at consumer reports, then shop around at places like Sears, Lowes, ect.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That seems odd for a Whirlpool. I’ve always had good luck with any of their appliances.

Yeah I've had little to no issues with other Whirlpool appliances but man this thing has been nothing but trouble since we got it and I have lost count how many times we have had it serviced. Has turned me off from ever considering a front loader. I bet the motherboard has been replaced at least 3 times now along with other various things on it yet its only a matter of months before the next issue pops up and we're waiting on parts once again. Haven't had this latest issue before but now every so often it doesn't do that last spin cycle at the end so the clothes are still very wet and take longer to dry. When we first noticed it would happen every 1 in maybe 10 or so loads and it gradually has become about 1 in every 3 or 4 loads now. Not really interested in finding out what that will cost, probably yet another motherboard replacement I would guess since it is supposed to spin out around 10 minutes left and when it doesn't it just goes from 10 minutes left to done without starting the last spin cycle so that sure seems like another electronics issue if it's skipping a cycle randomly.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Have a 2-year-old Whirpool top load, no issues. Such you had such problems. Good luck on the next one.

Should add, that my parents also have the same top load whirlpool, that is a 4 or 5 years older and have not had any issues with it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Have a 2-year-old Whirpool top load, no issues. Such you had such problems. Good luck on the next one.

Should add, that my parents also have the same top load whirlpool, that is a 4 or 5 years older and have not had any issues with it.

Do you know what size and model? That's kind of where I am leaning at right now with the initial research I have done and the sales going on with some of them right now.

• Agree
Reactions: boone7247

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I have had good luck over the years with old fashioned top load washers.....typically used for me. They are not built well regardless, so why spend more than a couple hundred bucks on one?

• Agree
Reactions: MNCYWX and dmclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
DO NOT BUY A LG! Front load top load whatever- biggest POS ever- electronics are bad so it says the load is unbalanced. It takes 4 hrs to do a load. This week the drum arm broke and came away from the side. The machine is less than 4 years old.

We've had an LG for going on 10 years, and have never had any real problems. It's a front load, which I wouldn't buy again though, because I don't like having to leave the washer door open between uses. Have to do that or it will start smelling because the ring won't dry out. To me, it's just a minor annoyance though.

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
About half a year ago we bought a Maytag MVWB766FW (high efficiency top loader) to replace our 25 yr old Maytag that finally gave out on us. Has been great so far. The 5 yr parts and labor warranty was what won us over and having had good experience with Maytag in the past. Didn't want to get a Maytag at first (still bitter about what they did to some people I know in Newton) but after looking at Consumer Reports, talking with friends & family, and with what was offered locally, we determined it was the best option for us.

There are still some water puddles inside after a load is done so we leave the lid open to dry it out and stave off mold. Fortunately it has a soft close lid so my worry about the lid being slammed down and breaking is reduced.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Back in the mid 00s, I walked into a Best Buy and said "I want the best thing you have." Result: the biggest pieces of junk I've ever had in my home, these expensive LGs. The six year old washer and dryer I donated to a newly divorced mother starting her life over were FAR better than these ones I paid a thousand bucks each for. I grabbed the red hot coils on the stove, and I only need that to happen once. All the high-fives and laughter from behind the swing doors off the showroom were probably at my expense. Groan...

My approach now is to go to the Sears outlet and buy a solid, top loading mid-line scratch and dent for one third the price of the "high end" models. I figure I'm going to get 5-7 years out of whatever I buy, so I'm "buying low" these days. I got eight years out of my last set that I just replaced last year. I keep an eye out for the ones with a dent in the side - but still has the same warranty.

Reactions: cyhawkdmb

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
My only $.02 is find one with a true agitator in the middle. Our Samsung has the style where just the base and sides move opposite directions to create the motion to clean the clothes. I hate it, my clothes don't get near as clean, that style to me just doesn't move the clothes around enough to create the scrubbing you need.