Needing Washing Machine Recommendations

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
We just had a horrible experience with Maytag and will never buy another appliance from them. Bought a very expensive washing machine and it quit in month 13 (not sure how you got a five year warranty but ours was only a year).

Sales guy said Maytag did something different on this model that made them willing to stand by it for 5 years instead of 1, so that made us think maybe the reliability would be better for them to take that business risk. The plus for us is the store we bought from would be the ones doing any services so we wouldn't have to wait long.

SpeedQueens also offer 5 yr warranty. They are a no frills, back to basics, washer. You pay as much for it as you would a top loader high efficiency though. Sales guy said that is what all the farmers are buying because they are the only ones that will clean their super dirty clothes from the confinements and will last any ok amount of time with the usage they put it through.

• Agree
Reactions: TwinCitiesCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
30+ yr old maytag topload washer and a gas dryer. Never have messed with the washer (knock on wood) Replaced a couple of sensors on the dryer. I did that myself but only because the local appliance store is really helpful and will basically walk you through it.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Ha! The $300 special at Home Depot 5 years ago. Admiral brand, I think. I don't spend a lot of money on appliances. Most overrated big expense in the home and more than likely fail on you under 10 years.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I would not recommend spending a ton of money. Most washers clean clothes just about the same whether they cost $500 or $1000 (I prefer a top-loader), but most newer machines (made in the past 10 years) break down at just about the same rate whether it costs a few hundred or over a thousand. No need for tons of features, but the smart move is to probably just get what your wife wants.

Reactions: khardbored

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We have a Kenmore that will be 23 years old next month. It's solid as a rock, though the lid switch broke, and we had to fix it by jamming a pencil into it.

It's doesn't have a delicate cycle. But it runs like a champ, after all this time and a family of 4.

That said, I don't think the Kenmores are as good as they used to be; none of them are as good as they used to be.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I recently returned from an extended trip to South America, only to find that seemingly nearly everything that I owned had gone to heck in a hand basket, I including my washing machine, which was probably 30 years old. The hotel where I stayed had a Samsung HE machine. I was impressed with the cleaning and was disposed to buy one here.

Lowes had a couple HE top loading machines on sale- Whirlpool and Samsung. After reading all of their reviews, I noticed that although both machines received about the same number of stars with the Whirlpool machine being slightly higher, the Samsumg machine had a significantly lower "recommended" rating. 87% vs 55%. I bought the whirlpool.

Common complaint w/ HE machine was the machine would walk during the spin cycle if care was not taken in balancing clothes. These machines do have high spin speeds and would sometimes tear the hoses.

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
30+ yr old maytag topload washer and a gas dryer. Never have messed with the washer (knock on wood) Replaced a couple of sensors on the dryer. I did that myself but only because the local appliance store is really helpful and will basically walk you through it.
Agree. I would go on Craigslist and buy a 30 year old Maytag and not this new crap that doesn't clean and lasts about 10 years

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I've had a sears front load washer for 12 years and have really liked it. I have had to replace the water valve on it but other than that it has been very reliable. Seems to get the clothes clean and does a great job of getting water out of the clothes after the rinse cycle.

I am assuming the newer top loads are now much better, because my old one really sucked.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Our Kenmore is at least 10 years old and working just fine. When it croaks will get a top loader that is HE and will get agitator. Have been impressed with how much drier clothes are coming out of HE machines we have used on trips. Repairman I know well told me to get a top loading machine and to avoid LG and Samsung because it's very hard to find people to work on them.

we heard the same about local technicians on LG/Samsung when we were looking too. Also said it can take longer to get parts in then. Otherwise LG had been high on our list and a director at work has an LG pair and happy with them last I knew.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
We got a front-load Maytag when we were buying. I'm not tall and wanted to be able to easily reach so we skipped top loaders. Two years and no issues (knock on wood), but it's just two of us. The lady had told us to only use powder detergent and that would prevent mold. Said a lot of liquid detergents use animal fat which results in the nastiness. So we use powder and generally leave the washer open overnight to let it dry out well. No mold yet.

we spent a good amount of time checking Consumer Reports and such - not just on the ratings for specific models, but the overall brand satisfaction/problem rates as well.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We got a front-load Maytag when we were buying. I'm not tall and wanted to be able to easily reach so we skipped top loaders. Two years and no issues (knock on wood), but it's just two of us. The lady had told us to only use powder detergent and that would prevent mold. Said a lot of liquid detergents use animal fat which results in the nastiness. So we use powder and generally leave the washer open overnight to let it dry out well. No mold yet.

we spent a good amount of time checking Consumer Reports and such - not just on the ratings for specific models, but the overall brand satisfaction/problem rates as well.

C'mon post that spread sheet. I know you've got one;):D.

• Funny
Reactions: cowgirl836

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Do you know what size and model? That's kind of where I am leaning at right now with the initial research I have done and the sales going on with some of them right now.

Sorry for being slow. They are the Cabrio Platinum models. My model number is WTW8500BW0.

We both have had good luck with ours.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron