***NDSU (2/2) and SDSU (2/4) Duals***

HobbitNation

Aug 28, 2012
Had a night to think about it. This was a fun dual for the guys, they knew going in that they were behind the 8 ball because parker wasn't at 141 and so we had to forfeit, but dang did they show up and COMPETE. Was it all positives, rainbows and daisys? No, but it was a TEAM win last night and I tip my cap to the kids that are making it fun to watch ISU wrestling. Just a lot of positive things to feel about last night after a long week of bad mojo. Super proud of the guys!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
What extra sucks about Simmons struggling and Parker being out is those were the only two weights where we would have been favored in the Iowa meet. Without that we're basically hoping Pestano has a good match or that Colbray is able to steal an upset to avoid getting blanked.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
What extra sucks about Simmons struggling and Parker being out is those were the only two weights where we would have been favored in the Iowa meet. Without that we're basically hoping Pestano has a good match or that Colbray is able to steal an upset to avoid getting blanked.

Be optimistic as that is a couple weeks out. Simmons has time to get out of the funk. See Lee put a pounding on Lizak last night. Maybe David Carr will be that good next year!

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Hope we get to the point one day where there is actually a Big 12 network and more wrestling matches are broadcast for a larger audience. Always a dreamer I am :)
Got to admit that the Big 10 network is doing that for wrestling and other Olympic sports. Big 10 Network is in the heart of wresling country so those kids get exposed to it, and have even more interest in getting to wrestle at a Big 10 school. It appears to be working well fo womens volleyball too.

Reactions: VirginSturgeon

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I'm impressed by what he's done all season. First, I don't think many thought he would be a starter. He took that role early and he's made the most of it. He and Harrington are the most improved from last season.

I had the chance to talk with Gable and Dresser last fall before the Iowa game. While in KC now, i mentioned where I was from, Dresser said "we have a pretty good, hard-working wrestler from there". I got the impression that Straw was buying in to what they were trying to do and KD had some high hopes for him.

• Agree
Reactions: matclone and buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I had the chance to talk with Gable and Dresser last fall before the Iowa game. While in KC now, i mentioned where I was from, Dresser said "we have a pretty good, hard-working wrestler from there". I got the impression that Straw was buying in to what they were trying to do and KD had some high hopes for him.

I agree. I have stated that I really like what Straw is doing this year. Started slow, but really showing improvements. Going to be hard keeping him out of the lineup the next 2 years

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Just wanted to pop in and say Wowzers.... no way we woulda pulled this off last year or heck even a few months ago. Pretty clear that the culture is slowly but surely making a change. Hats off to all the guys and to hoping Parker has a quick recovery.

The Bison announcers noted last night that they won last year's dual 25-16, with Rodriguez (NDSU) getting a tech fall at 125. In fact, after nine matches last year, the score was identical to last night (NDSU 20 ISU 16). But a different result in the last match this year.

Last year's dual was also the one where we pulled Colbray's redshirt and he got pinned at HWT. A different result this year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The Bison announcers noted last night that they won last year's dual 25-16, with Rodriguez (NDSU) getting a tech fall at 125. In fact, after nine matches last year, the score was identical to last night (NDSU 20 ISU 16). But a different result in the last match this year.

Last year's dual was also the one where we pulled Colbray's redshirt and he got pinned at HWT. A different result this year.

I forgot that was this dual. Redemption for Sammy Colbray

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Tough loss for Straw. Still love the way he wrestles. He was the aggressor all match. He will get Zilverberg at the Big 12s if he gets to wrestle him again. Very disappointed we didn’t get to see Jennings today. I think he needs to be the guy at 165 for the rest of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonenation5

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Tough loss for Straw. Still love the way he wrestles. He was the aggressor all match. He will get Zilverberg at the Big 12s if he gets to wrestle him again. Very disappointed we didn’t get to see Jennings today. I think he needs to be the guy at 165 for the rest of the year.

I agree with all of this.

Straw was actually in on a late TD. Unfortunately, Zilverberg countered it and locked a cradle for a 6 point move.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Yeah, only thing I can think is that going in to this trip the coaches promised Friday night to Jennings and Sunday to St. John. Or I guess Jennings could have tweaked something. But I can't see how we don't see him in both duals next weekend and, if he goes 1-1 or better, have him finish out the season in the spot. If he goes 0-2 you're back to the drawing board.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Sucks though because since he didn't wrestle today we don't get an extra data point to see if his win was an upset of if he's found his groove by moving up a weight. And it really decreases the chances that he'll be ranked if he does go 2-1 in the remaining duals, which he'd need for an allocation since he won't have 17 matches for an RPI.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Eating my crow on Colbray now. Dude has really come on as of late. He’s wrestling very well and you can tell is gaining confidence. Very glad this is no longer a glaring weakness for ISU this year or in the future, and looks like it could be one of ISU’s best weights.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron