NBCSN shutting down

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
My guess is they will probably put a game or two on USA on Saturday/Sunday mornings and the rest will be on Peacock. As a Fulham fan, I’m already paying for Peacock so it won’t bother me too much, but I’m sure the more casual soccer fans will lose their **** over this.
It was pretty clear what NBC's plan was when they initially purchased the Premier League rights 8 years ago when they had every game either on tv or free online. They wanted to capture causal fans and then right when they hook them, profit.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Could be USA or Peacock, depending on how "big" the event is perceived to be.

Besides soccer and hockey, they'll need a home for IndyCar, NASCAR, and the Tour de France.
Darnit, I didn't even think about IndyCar... hopefully they figure something out.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Damn, this is brutal. Losing NBCSN, NBC Sports Chi and + is going to suck. Already lost the Cubs on YouTubeTV and now this ****? I watch a lot of the local outdoor programming on those channels as well.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Damn, this is brutal. Losing NBCSN, NBC Sports Chi and + is going to suck. Already lost the Cubs on YouTubeTV and now this ****? I watch a lot of the local outdoor programming on those channels as well.
Isn't it just the National NBCSN and not the NBC Sports Regional networks?

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
It sounds like hockey,soccer and auto racing will be shown on the USA Network or at least the major events in those sports. NBC/Universal owns USA and they have used USA and NBCSN to broadcast Olympic sports. In Rio in 2016,7 of the 8 USA men's basketball games were shown on NBCSN. The main reason for doing that is in Olympic basketball they don't stop the game in the middle of the quarter to take a "t.v. timeout" like we do in America.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, Premier League and NHL fans won’t be happy about this. I assume this means that they’ll probably move all of that content over to Peacock.
I'd guess the top match of the week (or maybe even less often then that) on NBC, another couple a weekend on USA and the rest on the streaming service.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kinda expected IMO. They want to shift to OTT and live sports aren't quite there yet.

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Remember the USA Network broadcast the Rocky 4 fight in the Soviet Union..... USA-Network-Cable-Channel-in-Rocky-4-2-800x450.jpg

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I wasn't exactly pleased Man Utd v Liverpool was on Peacock. I believe the EPL contract is up in 2022 so I'm hoping for a move to ABC/ESPN.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I wasn't exactly pleased Man Utd v Liverpool was on Peacock. I believe the EPL contract is up in 2022 so I'm hoping for a move to ABC/ESPN.

If you drill down into the SBJ predictions, where the guy predicted NBCSN would be shut down, he also predicted:

NBC keeps EPL rights
This is the easiest prediction of the bunch. NBC will start negotiating a new EPL deal early in the summer. Even though other media companies will try to grab those rights, NBC will lock them up for another six-year term. NBC will create more windows on its broadcast channel, plus run games on USA Network and Peacock, while keeping the most matches behind a paywall on Peacock.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CloneJD

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Peacock, the premium streaming service that costs up to $10 a month, and still forces you to watch ads while streaming. I'm not sure anyone wants to be too tightly tethered to this.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
RIP to the Network formerly known as Versus. ISU had a ton of games on there back during the Chizik years.

4e08ca8dccd1d53739020000