Natural Gas Question

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This falls under the category of stupid people really shouldn't own homes.....

I woke up yesterday and my less than 1 year old water heater wasn't working. The pilot light was out and I can't relight it. It acts like there is no power to it. And to be honest, in 12 years, I haven't even once tried to light a pilot light.

The plumbers that installed it can't come out until Friday. But this morning it occurred to me that I have no idea if it is an issue with the water heater or if there's a chance that the gas is out overall. The townhouse next to me has been under contract for several weeks so I'm guessing that there have been some exchanges of utilities between the owner and the buyer.

So I guess my question is....how can I tell if it is an issue that I should deal with MidAmerican on or if it is an issue I should wait for the plumber to fix my water heater?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
First question, did you check breaker?
Did you try another outlet to plug it into?
Lighting the pilot on a gas is super easy. There should be a plate there to tell you how.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I woke up yesterday and my less than 1 year old water heater wasn't working. The pilot light was out and I can't relight it. It acts like there is no power to it. And to be honest, in 12 years, I haven't even once tried to light a pilot light.

The plumbers that installed it can't come out until Friday. But this morning it occurred to me that I have no idea if it is an issue with the water heater or if there's a chance that the gas is out overall. The townhouse next to me has been under contract for several weeks so I'm guessing that there have been some exchanges of utilities between the owner and the buyer.

So I guess my question is....how can I tell if it is an issue that I should deal with MidAmerican on or if it is an issue I should wait for the plumber to fix my water heater?

It's not unusual for a water heater to have issues. Probably something dirty or has failed.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

If you have gas water heater then do you also have a gas stove top? If so, are the burners on the stove working? That'll tell you if your gas is off.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If you have gas water heater then do you also have a gas stove top? If so, are the burners on the stove working? That'll tell you if your gas is off.

I’m dumb, but not quite that dumb ;). No gas stove. I suppose I could turn on n the furnace….but with my luck it wouldn’t turn off.

• Haha
Reactions: TXCyclones

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
My furnace has an view window\port hole that lets me know if the pilot is lit.

If you turn off you water heater then turn it to the light setting can you hear the gas? Not sure but I thought you could, Ive only had to light mine a few times over 12 years.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'm surprised a one year old water heater has a pilot light. Most newer water heaters have an electronic igniter.

That said, it can be tricky to light a pilot light if you're not familiar with the mechanics of it. And sometimes the access is kind of awkward.

Don't you have a 'handy' friend, relative, or neighbor that can show you how to light the pilot?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
My furnace has an view window\port hole that lets me know if the pilot is lit.

If you turn off you water heater then turn it to the light setting can you hear the gas? Not sure but I thought you could, Ive only had to light mine a few times over 12 years.
Not necessarily. They have a thermo-coupler that will not allow the gas to flow unless it's warmed to a certain temperature. That's why when you light a pilot you have to hold the knob down for 20-30 seconds or the pilot will not stay lit.

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I’m dumb, but not quite that dumb ;). No gas stove. I suppose I could turn on n the furnace….but with my luck it wouldn’t turn off.

In that case, write down the model number of the water heater and check out YouTube or Google it. Or... post it here and, like good lemmings, we'll all research it for you!

Reactions: wxman1

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Usually a pilot light will not just go out for no reason. There was probably an interruption to the gas flow. Your suspicion of the construction next door being the cause may have merit.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm surprised a one year old water heater has a pilot light. Most newer water heaters have an electronic igniter.

That said, it can be tricky to light a pilot light if you're not familiar with the mechanics of it. And sometimes the access is kind of awkward.

Don't you have a 'handy' friend, relative, or neighbor that can show you how to light the pilot?

You’re right it has an electronic igniter. Basically you turn it to pilot and then hit the ignition and it is supposed to light up. I’m just calling it the pilot light.

I’ve tried that several times and it doesn’t seem to work at all. Sort of like a gas grill out of propane. But I don’t want to mess too much with it.

I called mid American and they are headed out here. We will see.

Reactions: Pat

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You’re right it has an electronic igniter. Basically you turn it to pilot and then hit the ignition and it is supposed to light up. I’m just calling it the pilot light.

I’ve tried that several times and it doesn’t seem to work at all. Sort of like a gas grill out of propane. But I don’t want to mess too much with it.

I called mid American and they are headed out here. We will see.

Turn to pilot....hold down that red lever you just turned then click the ignition. I know a few who just turned the lever on the gas valve to pilot then clicked. It won't work. And even after it lights you need to keep pushing down on the lever for about 30 seconds. Click it as much as you need. You can't wear it out. This happened to ours we just put in last fall. Condensation somehow affected the pilot. Lit it again and haven't had any problems since.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Turn to pilot....hold down that red lever you just turned then click the ignition. I know a few who just turned the lever on the gas valve to pilot then clicked. It won't work. And even after it lights you need to keep pushing down on the lever for about 30 seconds. Click it as much as you need. You can't wear it out.

That’s what I’ve tried. And it won’t work. Once mid American comes and confirms my gas is ok, I’ll try it again. I think I just hit the ignition for about 20 seconds straight. But maybe it needs longer.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That’s what I’ve tried. And it won’t work. Once mid American comes and confirms my gas is ok, I’ll try it again. I think I just hit the ignition for about 20 seconds straight. But maybe it needs longer.

There is always that outside chance you have one in a thousand new units that has a defective gas valve. That is what I thought after putting ours in last November. Two weeks later it's acting up. I don't know if you want to try because now you have someone coming....but on the supply(gas)line there is what they call a "drip" leg right before it "t's" off into the gas valve. That is the easiest way to find out if you have gas to your unit. If you have a pipe wrench just loosen it up to hear hissing. If it smell like gas...strong smell....you have gas. If it has only the hint of gas....you don't. If you do have gas then it just might be the valve.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
There is always that outside chance you have one in a thousand new units that has a defective gas valve. That is what I thought after putting ours in last November. Two weeks later it's acting up. I don't know if you want to try because now you have someone coming....but on the supply(gas)line there is what they call a "drip" leg right before it "t's" off into the gas valve. That is the easiest way to find out if you have gas to your unit. If you have a pipe wrench just loosen it up to hear hissing. If it smell like gas...strong smell....you have gas. If it has only the hint of gas....you don't. If you do have gas then it just might be the valve.

This is what happened to us. Previous homeowner installed a brand new Rheem water heater last April prior to us buying the house in July. Water heater goes out in February, and I spent a couple of hours trying to get it lit again. The pilot would light, but would go out as soon as I released the pilot button regardless of how long I held it after lighting. Plumber came and replaced the gas valve on the 7 month old heater under warranty and said it is a common issue with Rheem.

On a different note, we installed a radon system after buying the house and are now battling backdraft issues, even though there is already a makeup air vent in basement. That has about driven me crazy.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This is what happened to us. Previous homeowner installed a brand new Rheem water heater last April prior to us buying the house in July. Water heater goes out in February, and I spent a couple of hours trying to get it lit again. The pilot would light, but would go out as soon as I released the pilot button regardless of how long I held it after lighting. Plumber came and replaced the gas valve on the 7 month old heater under warranty and said it is a common issue with Rheem.

On a different note, we installed a radon system after buying the house and are now battling backdraft issues, even though there is already a makeup air vent in basement. That has about driven me crazy.

It seems the newer they get......the less reliable they are. We had a bunch of rentals....and some of those old style light them with a match would last until the bottom would rust out and leak water all over the thermocouple. You never heard of those going bad a few month after install. Now, like your plumber said it's common with this new style sealed units.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Is there a valve leading to the water heater that maybe got shut inadvertently.

Also just call the customer service line for your brand of water heater.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Can't answer the original question about gas, but does anyone have experience with tankless water heaters? Do you recommend versus conventional?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Can't answer the original question about gas, but does anyone have experience with tankless water heaters? Do you recommend versus conventional?
I converted to tankless at the condo in FL. A bit pricier but seems to work just fine. It's actually electric since there's no NatGas to the building. The main reason was being on the 12th floor I didn't want the liability if the tank leaked 30-50 gallons of water into 11 units below me. With the tankless the water is not stored so only what's in the pipes would leak (assuming the water is off, which it is 6 months I'm not there).

Added bonus was the closet it was in, without the tank, now has some extra room for storage, which is always a plus in a condo without a garage or basement.

Help Support Us

Become a patron