Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I generally try to stay out of the thread but this is just a laughable explanation IMO. Covid is a political topic that has significant non political implications. If you want to ban Covid talk not directly relating to Iowa State fine but otherwise you have to punish the problem posters. I guess I’m not sure how you can complain about the nature of the OP when really they are trying to keep it in the off topic realm and away from the political realm.

The response to the pandemic has been an all around crap storm. I could rant about the response from certain political people that you’d probably agree with. That doesn’t mean a discussion about looking for positive signs is political. You can have an off topic discussion that is apolitical.

So is the rule no Covid discussions that don’t directly relate to Iowa State? Otherwise what actually is the rule?

Just brave the Cave, bro.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe don't use the dumb button thousands of times including this thread while you cry about personal attacks. It makes you look super fragile.

5daa02903b1af8ffc0420485_WXQXx5XwlpsefVN-pMRHro_Xv63d5xCkg_jJp5nLniPKVmJihHmYm3zLcYtogc71wlq85RPo2MtmqKGyfQFvPU6-V9CYAjVlWVotb9EjwFH6DHnGyEQdLg5Lg9sfJLlub9WUXB9E.gif

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I want to start a thread about the weather, but nobody is allowed to talk about rain. Only sunny weather...maybe partly cloudy...and snow... but only accumulations of less than 2 inches... and wind, as long as it doesn't rise above a stiff breeze. People just want to discuss the forecast without having people ruin it by bringing up bad weather.

I had a friend that carpooled with a guy we worked with from DSM to Ames. He told me they couldn't talk about personal stuff nor could they talk about work so it left the weather.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Honestly I've changed pretty significantly from a political standpoint I thing partially due to this site.

I do not think anything on this site changed my general bent or set of opinions politically, but I think it did teach me quite a bit about the "mass psychology" of politics, especially in late 2010s and 2020s America.

To quote Selina Meyer --

"I’ve met some real people, okay? And I’ve got to tell you, a lot of them are ******* idiots."

It is not a very nice thing to say, but it is undeniably true. Most people have very little idea what it takes to run a government, the large bureaucratic organizations that it controls, and about actual policymaking. I have also noticed that an interest in politics does not necessary correlate with an increase in the knowledge level. Most people on the street (or in here) could not tell you the five largest items in the federal budget without cheating and looking it up.

It also taught me that most people are not into politics for the sake of good governance or even really to achieve a specific set of well-thought policy goals. They are in it to "win" -- this is why nobody could care less about local school boards, state legislatures, and Congress, but they sure love POTUS and SCOTUS contests.

They are more interested in what politics "says about ourselves, as a symbol of our nation and the American people" than the practical (and messy) realities of needing to comprise on policy and budgeting.

I see why, though. Math and public finance are aggressively boring, for one. The ones who make fun of me on here for long posts, charts, and tables are blatantly admitting (and bragging about) their ignorance about actual governance and how complex the world really is. All that takes work, and they are after fun. Most people (incorrectly) see elected leaders as avatars of ourselves, and humans seem to have some need to personify everything (sort of stealing from Dune there, for the numerous fans) in the personae of a Great Leader, however flawed they may be.

We are still only just one iota above the hunter-gathers that were our ancestors for 200,000+ years before we figured out agriculture around 12,000 years ago. And then we have had smartphones... maybe 10ish?

We want to "win" because winning as a hunter-gatherer tribe in competition with others was all that mattered. Your tribe, and its great chieftain, had to beat the other one down the road for status, power, and resources. Because, if you lost, you probably died (as a man) and probably ended up a slave (as a woman or child). So your tribe HAS to win and HAS to be right all the time, no matter what... it is literally a question of survival (in your brain, it is).

The decline of religion has brought a lot of people to need some other source of profundity and meaning to their life besides existential salvation, and politics is the best simulacra of that profundity out there. Both sides see themselves as bettering the world through a set of abstract principles and as the heirs to the historical progress of humanity (which... is something religions do, too). So they latch onto it, and bring the same level of life-or-death intensity... even if the reality of government is pretty boring and technical most of the time. It is really fascinating to watch this all play out live.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Analogous would be a negative covid thread where talking about 100 million people getting a successful vaccine is not allowed.

News is news, good or bad. Threads where hydroxychloroquine is still celebrated as the key to defeating the virus are a negative thing for our world. Especially if questioning false information makes me an enemy of everyone in the thread.

Again, I wasn't the person who decided if anything should be questioned in the OG, and apologize if that came off that way.

I think getting caught up in a discussion like that with someone that behaves like they do is a mistake as it inly spirals. I'd say we all need to check ourselves on that.

There were discussions around the context of some things that went pretty well compared to how else they go. I pointed out some citations from sources that clearly had an agenda right up front. They imo were the opposite equal of if I were to post from something like the Huffpost. It's going to be *****y information.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here's a hint to some. EVERYTHING is political when the GOVERNMENT controls everything. A world with very limited government would have very limited politics. Wouldn't that be nice?

Politics are about decision making within a group, that play into many situations and don't require government either, so there would still be lots of politics.

kcbob79clone

Analogous would be a negative covid thread where talking about 100 million people getting a successful vaccine is not allowed.

News is news, good or bad. Threads where hydroxychloroquine is still celebrated as the key to defeating the virus are a negative thing for our world. Especially if questioning false information makes me an enemy of everyone in the thread.

I can only speak for myself, when I saw recent studies that seem to call into question the earlier findings on hydroxychloroquine I opted, discretion being the better part of valor, I opted not to post it because I knew it would doom the thread to the cave. I will have to dig up the study but it said zinc was really good against Covid and hydroxychloroquine helps the body absorb zinc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can only speak for myself, when I saw recent studies that seem to call into question the earlier findings on hydroxychloroquine I opted, discretion being the better part of valor, I opted not to post it because I knew it would doom the thread to the cave. I will have to dig up the study but it said zinc was really good against Covid and hydroxychloroquine helps the body absorb zinc.

And if that information were to be presented from the get-go with a timely explanation, who for or when it should be used, etc. it becomes less of a debate instead of a 'take this and you're free!' message.

Just got my flu shot the other day, and the guy giving it to me said they had to stop selling it because Dr.s were hoarding it.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
How's Hunter faring these days in the ole Cave? Not well I presume by this answer.

Are you trying to deflect by bringing up - and this is just a guess - Hunter Biden? What does Hunter Biden have to do with your proclivities?