Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The latest positive Covid thread has suffered the same fate as others. And I've been told in no uncertain terms not to start another one. The usual suspects have sabotaged the threads, and the mods know who they are. Have they been reprimanded as I have been? Why can't the mods suspend these serial violators? Why can't the posts be deleted before the spark turns into a wildfire?

So the only thread about Covid anymore that is allowed is hopium? Figures. Even facts become hidden.

kcbob79clone

Threads where "questioning" is not allowed are a horrible idea.

I didn't derail whatever happened recently but a few weeks ago someone posted dangerously false information and I asked for links to clinical trial results.

Of course they couldn't provide them but five morons who thought they were "non-partisan" for spreading false info on covid came down in me like I had just killed a puppy.

You can ban me any day for questioning false information about something that has killed over 200,000 Americans.

And you were right to question any posting that didn't have a link to the clinical trial results or an article that referenced the results. I've never read so may clinical stuff that my head is swimming with t-cells, pcr, antigens, etc. but I, and I can only speak for myself, only posted links to the CDC for example or articles that had links in them.

Since I'm fat I tend to like the last set of tests dealing with fatty acids being good, because I'm sure I've got a lot of those, cause I'm fat!! OK, another bad attempt at humor :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SpokaneCY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I realize it's opt in or out. My point is I imagine a great deal of the complaining comes from Cave related threads (i.e., personal attacks). This is a sports website, I just can't imagine it's worth the mods effort to keep the Cave going unless it has a bunch of traffic.

But I also realize the crossover between sports and politics is huge, and getting rid of the Cave would not end political debate on here. But I do imagine it'd be easier to deal with if they weren't having to spend so much time monitoring the Cave.

The problems of covid and race and politics lately go like this...

"I think we should do exactly as the governor says. Those who disagree need to keep politics out of it."

It's been that stupid. Typically it's people who agree with political authority can't grasp how their opinion is every bit as political as someone who disagrees with them.

kcbob79clone

I've had a few PMs asking why I moved this from OT. And here's the answer - both sides are being ridiculous.

One side start the thread under the guise of "positive" news in an attempt to only show data and propaganda that makes everything look rosy and positive, like everything isn't a **** show. It's clear y'all aren't women, because these are some of the worst, fumbling attempts at manipulation I've ever seen.

The other side brought it off the rails in an attempt to get it sent to the cave, which was also transparent, fumbling manipulation. And we have now allowed purposeful sabotage like that before, even if the premise is faulty originally.

In short, I don't think I should have to hold OP's hand on why this had to go to the cave. We all knew what was going on.

Sounds like a 'wet fart' to me

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I want to start a thread about the weather, but nobody is allowed to talk about rain. Only sunny weather...maybe partly cloudy...and snow... but only accumulations of less than 2 inches... and wind, as long as it doesn't rise above a stiff breeze. People just want to discuss the forecast without having people ruin it by bringing up bad weather.
Also

"My political party is invested in denying negative realities. Here, let me start a thread that disallows posting negative realities. This is totally coincidental though and my thread definitely isn't political and should be outside the politics forum"

For the record my OG 'Positive' thread was more about what's happening to get through and understand the pandemic with what's really being found out as we catch up with it, and I should have been defined it that way, as it was eventually met with both 'People went fishing today without masks and it travels through the air! Run away Holy Grail style!' and 'Cases are down over here, it's over!' twitter post types.

There was straight up bullying too. The 'new' one created by K-bob was met with a 'People need to stop crying like little children' post about 1 page in.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
The latest positive Covid thread has suffered the same fate as others. And I've been told in no uncertain terms not to start another one. The usual suspects have sabotaged the threads, and the mods know who they are. Have they been reprimanded as I have been? Why can't the mods suspend these serial violators? Why can't the posts be deleted before the spark turns into a wildfire?

Maybe if you stomp your feet they will pay more attention to your whining.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I’d imagine most of the complaints reported in the cave come from a very select group of individuals, most of them dumb or unwarranted, which the mods could probably resolve if they REALLY wanted to but would probably take quite a bit of legwork to do. A good start would be if people were adult enough to not create 18 alt accounts to keep posting every time they get banned.

Or you could stop wasting time chasing ghosts and just tell people to ignore them. You're only creating incentive to be a douche.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm not a mod, feel free to start a "Negative News on the Covid front' thread. Feel free to use my title too :)

No need, in my world I'm way past that as it's really not worth even talking about anymore. I've pretty much forgotten it exists. Only a little awkward when I go to shake a few peoples hands and I remember not everyone is there yet.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've had a few PMs asking why I moved this from OT. And here's the answer - both sides are being ridiculous.

One side start the thread under the guise of "positive" news in an attempt to only show data and propaganda that makes everything look rosy and positive, like everything isn't a **** show. It's clear y'all aren't women, because these are some of the worst, fumbling attempts at manipulation I've ever seen.

The other side brought it off the rails in an attempt to get it sent to the cave, which was also transparent, fumbling manipulation. And we have now allowed purposeful sabotage like that before, even if the premise is faulty originally.

In short, I don't think I should have to hold OP's hand on why this had to go to the cave. We all knew what was going on.

See my other post regarding this...there was nothing intended on my end that was propaganda-oriented.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not a mod, feel free to start a "Negative News on the Covid front' thread. Feel free to use my title too :)

Analogous would be a negative covid thread where talking about 100 million people getting a successful vaccine is not allowed.

News is news, good or bad. Threads where hydroxychloroquine is still celebrated as the key to defeating the virus are a negative thing for our world. Especially if questioning false information makes me an enemy of everyone in the thread.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
No need, in my world I'm way past that as it's really not worth even talking about anymore. I've pretty much forgotten it exists. Only a little awkward when I go to shake a few peoples hands and I remember not everyone is there yet.

Guy who can't understand why he isn't allowed to **** children thinks COVID is the reason people recoil when he reaches out to touch them.

Fascinating.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I generally try to stay out of the thread but this is just a laughable explanation IMO. Covid is a political topic that has significant non political implications. If you want to ban Covid talk not directly relating to Iowa State fine but otherwise you have to punish the problem posters. I guess I’m not sure how you can complain about the nature of the OP when really they are trying to keep it in the off topic realm and away from the political realm.

The response to the pandemic has been an all around crap storm. I could rant about the response from certain political people that you’d probably agree with. That doesn’t mean a discussion about looking for positive signs is political. You can have an off topic discussion that is apolitical.

So is the rule no Covid discussions that don’t directly relate to Iowa State? Otherwise what actually is the rule?