MLB: MLB to Start Back Up on July 1?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Hopefully, there is not a shutdown. The last one crippled MLB. The next one....

Worst case for MLB is there is a bitter drawn out fight over salaries this year and a solution is never reached, or one is but the virus then prevents the season from playing out and all those hard feelings remain and the see a long labor stoppage after the 2021 season when the current agreement is up and they lose part of or all of 2022 to a strike as well.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Back to the actual playing proposal. Not sure any of it is going to really capture my usual interest. Basically a half season of BS games (only play in your division plus some close by inter-league play) followed by a million game playoff. I am already not a fan of the unbalanced division heavy schedules. NY vs BoSox is no longer a special series with them playing 18 times a year and other teams only 6 or so. Although they are making up for it with 14 freaking teams in the play-offs. SOS is going to be REALLY unbalanced, even more than normal.

About the only stat that translates (and baseball is a game of fun yearly stat milestones) is hitting .300.
Definitely agree with you but heavy division play has been the norm for awhile. With the amount of games they play there is zero reason why teams shouldn’t play every team in the MLB over the course of the season.

Think I’ve posted this before but from a Cubs perspective if there went
3 games vs AL teams= 45
6 games vs NL west/East=60
14 games vs NL central= 56

Total of 161 games. If it comes down to a tie for the division they can play 162. Makes way too much sense so it’ll obviously never happen

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not sure if this is how a majority of the players feel but if so doubt there will be a deal that gets done:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Not sure if this is how a majority of the players feel but if so doubt there will be a deal that gets done:

Talk about ignorant. Dude is going to make 6 figures to play half a season. Yet he wants to complain about it being high risk. These guys are all much healthier than the average American. This isn’t high risk at all.

I just have zero sympathy for people who make way more money than me to play a sport. I make a decent amount and would have to work like 20 years to make what he was supposed to make this year.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Talk about ignorant. Dude is going to make 6 figures to play half a season. Yet he wants to complain about it being high risk. These guys are all much healthier than the average American. This isn’t high risk at all.

I just have zero sympathy for people who make way more money than me to play a sport. I make a decent amount and would have to work like 20 years to make what he was supposed to make this year.

Their playing a sport creates revenue. If you made your boss or bosses billions of dollars I'm sure they wouldn't mind paying you millions.

This article estimates that the Kansas City Royals made over $12,000,000 in parking alone in 2016. That is parking for one season in Missouri, not LA, not Chicago.

https://www.royalsreview.com/2018/2/6/16961182/estimating-how-much-money-the-royals-make

I agree that there are much more admirable jobs than being a professional athlete, but it is impossible to argue with the amount of money they generate.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

Snell is an interesting case. Would like to discuss it in detail here.

1. He’s already getting well underpaid for his performance, thanks to salary rules he had no say in.
2. The people that pay him (and are losing money now) already tried to **** him once.
3. He stands to maybe quadruple the money he can earn playing baseball if he can keep his arm healthy until free agency. Taking a year off gets him closer to that pay day.

So sure there is some selfish motivation from Snell there, but I wouldn’t do that either, not after the TB org tried to give me a $15,000 raise after I won the Cy Young.

I admit I don’t know the details of what they’re proposing salary-wise, but I’m don’t think Snell is necessarily the bad guy here. If the guys on bloated free agent contracts and owners who have experienced rising franchise values want to play a season, then give the cost-controlled guys like Snell a break.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Snell is an interesting case. Would like to discuss it in detail here.

1. He’s already getting well underpaid for his performance, thanks to salary rules he had no say in.
2. The people that pay him (and are losing money now) already tried to **** him once.
3. He stands to maybe quadruple the money he can earn playing baseball if he can keep his arm healthy until free agency. Taking a year off gets him closer to that pay day.

So sure there is some selfish motivation from Snell there, but I wouldn’t do that either, not after the TB org tried to give me a $15,000 raise after I won the Cy Young.

I admit I don’t know the details of what they’re proposing salary-wise, but I’m don’t think Snell is necessarily the bad guy here. If the guys on bloated free agent contracts and owners who have experienced rising franchise values want to play a season, then give the cost-controlled guys like Snell a break.
I admit I had no idea who he was. I’m an NL guy all the way. I guess if he wants to complain about getting screwed than he can go complain to the veterans who agreed to the CBA. That’s my problem mostly. Major league players have fought to increase their pay at the expense of minor leaguers and new guys.

People talk about how ****** the CBA is for young guys but the MLBPA agreed to that deal. For every underpaid guy you have an Albert Pujols or A-Rod. I don’t think the current CBA is fair but that’s a problem for when it is up. As I said most people would have to work 20 some years to make a million dollars. I can’t be to sympathetic to them. If you want to talk about minor leaguers not even getting paid minimum wage then I’m all for the players getting more.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
If MLBPA pushes too hard we won't have baseball. There is a number between full salary and no salary that is worth it to all of the parties.They just need to get to that number.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Both the owners and players look bad in this one. If the players can't agree with any level pay cut, they are not being realistic. Everybody loses, especially the fans.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
If MLBPA pushes too hard we won't have baseball. There is a number between full salary and no salary that is worth it to all of the parties.They just need to get to that number.

The owners need to sell this as something that doesn't sound like a salary cap, but we were probably heading for a work stoppage anyway regardless of Covid-19.

If they don't get something done in the next week or two they can't have a season, can they?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
That would mean that the owners pushed too hard.
If players start giving back salary, that's a bad precedent going forward.

You should check the news.There is a global pandemic going around.

Being attendance drives revenue to the extent it does MLBPA will have to back off of full prorated salary. I imagine the final agreement will be a tiered structure with different payouts at tiered revenue amounts.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You should check the news.There is a global pandemic going around.

Being attendance drives revenue to the extent it does MLBPA will have to back off of full prorated salary. I imagine the final agreement will be a tiered structure with different payouts at tiered revenue amounts.

There is? When did that start?
Letting the owners take advantage of that is a bad precedent.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
There is? When did that start?
Letting the owners take advantage of that is a bad precedent.

Do you really think the owners are going to be better off then pre-Covid-19 in this new structure? That's ludicrous.The owners will have less profit and the players less salary. The only thing to determine is where in the middle that line lies. MLBPA knows this too. Otherwise there wouldn't be a salary negotiation.