***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
A pretty decent write-up on the baseball draft going to only 5 rounds. Down from like 40 possible rounds. Latest in cost cutting measures and I had totally missed this news from a couple of days ago. Written from a Twins perspective but still pretty informative.

Huge implications to since the signing bonuses outside the five rounds as free agents will be capped at $20k. Won't be any bidding wars, more like recruiting wars and selling your organization. And, if it's a SEC bound player the MLB teams will be outbid. :rolleyes:

It’s The Incredible Shrinking Draft
MLB Draft Cut To Five Rounds

Gonna be interesting. College teams will be loaded with talent next year. Many more HSers will choose the college route rather than the $20,000. More college players will return. HSers may choose to go JuCo so they can get drafted next year. MLB teams will be more incentivized to tank for draft picks next year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just channel flipped into the MLB channel in time to see a fast young 24 year old Mickey Mantle chance down a hard drive to left center by Gil Hodges. Yup, 1956 Don Larson perfect game, top of the 5th. Think this will likely be my May baseball fix.

So many "name" players: Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Yogi Berra, Mickey Mantle, Pee Wee Reese, Enos Slaughter, Roy Campanella. Future big league managers Billy Martin, Hank Bauer and Gil Hodges (and Yogi). :cool:

Edit: Ah, hell, how did I forget the managers that day. Walter Alston and Casey Stengel.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Gonna be interesting. College teams will be loaded with talent next year. Many more HSers will choose the college route rather than the $20,000. More college players will return. HSers may choose to go JuCo so they can get drafted next year. MLB teams will be more incentivized to tank for draft picks next year.
The only thing that may sway some undrafted guys is the opportunity to sign with whichever team they want. But I agree, this is going to be really interesting to see how it plays out. And whether they stay with something similar for future drafts if the minor league contraction occurs.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Pretty sure this doesn’t fit into the current discussion at all, but has anyone been playing Out of the Park Baseball 21? It’s a pretty good way to get a baseball fix and it’s a lot of fun offline or in an online league

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw in the paper here today that the Twins would have been playing their 47th game already today. Quarter of the season gone already.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I saw Art Howe got released from the hospital which was a good sign since I thought he had already passed away.