Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning (Part I) trailer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I never thought this franchise would be as great as it's become. The past few (since Ghost Protocol) have been some of the best action movies I can recall. Honestly, the ONLY movie in the entire franchise that I would label as 'bad' is #2.

This looks pretty great.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Absolutely loved the first one. Hated the 2nd one and have totally checked out on the series since then. Maybe it's worth catching up on them.

I can't decide if they are using de-aging technology on Cruise or if it's just really good lighting and makeup, but he looks way younger in this than he does in the top gun trailer IMO.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Absolutely loved the first one. Hated the 2nd one and have totally checked out on the series since then. Maybe it's worth catching up on them.

I can't decide if they are using de-aging technology on Cruise or if it's just really good lighting and makeup, but he looks way younger in this than he does in the top gun trailer IMO.
I personally think they're worth catching up on. Don't let 2 ruin it...the rest have some of the best action set pieces in recent memory.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

#2 is bad, that was just a mismatch with the director, John Woo shouldn't be directing these. Tone doesn't match.

Honestly like dahlia said, once you hit Ghost Protocol on they are the best action franchise happening right now.

I honestly really enjoy #3 though too, it has a great Philip Seymour Hoffman performance and he was a great bad guy.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Fallout, Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation are all highly entertaining and well made films.

Reactions: Sousaclone

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Don't short change Mission Impossible 3. Written and Directed by J.J. Abrams and really I would say when the franchise took off after the dud of Mission Impossible 2. Phillip Seymore Hoffman is excellent
I don't think any one is. I love that one and PSH is still hands down the best villain of any in the entire franchise.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
I don't think any one is. I love that one and PSH is still hands down the best villain of any in the entire franchise.

I agree. Its one of those franchises that they seem to just keep getting better. I want to hate Tom Cruise so much, but his movies are very entertaining even at his age. Can't wait for Maverick this weekend

Reactions: dahliaclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
#2 is bad, that was just a mismatch with the director, John Woo shouldn't be directing these. Tone doesn't match.

Honestly like dahlia said, once you hit Ghost Protocol on they are the best action franchise happening right now.

I honestly really enjoy #3 though too, it has a great Philip Seymour Hoffman performance and he was a great bad guy.
That's right! I forgot that was a Woo film. That was when Hollywood was going through it's peak John Woo action phase. It had running down the hallway in slow motion, 2 pistols firing with doves and all of that.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Agree with the previous posters; MI #3, Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation, and Fallout are all great movies. Had no idea two more were coming.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Absolutely agree with #2 being bad and the rest are good.

Cool to see Kittridge back.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Fun movies in general. I would like to see Cruise hand the reigns to a younger actor.

I think the plan was to do that with Renner, which is why his character was introduced in Ghost Protocol.

Honestly, Rebecca Ferguson is great in these. I don't know what Hayley Atwell is doing but I would be thrilled to watch her in more. That said, Cruise does so good I'd be happy to watch him in these until his skin is melting off. He's been great in these.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
One gripe. I really hate these two aprt movies they're doing now. If you need to split them into parts, then have the second release just months after the first. Having a year or so between really kills the momentum from the first half.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I think the plan was to do that with Renner, which is why his character was introduced in Ghost Protocol.

Honestly, Rebecca Ferguson is great in these. I don't know what Hayley Atwell is doing but I would be thrilled to watch her in more. That said, Cruise does so good I'd be happy to watch him in these until his skin is melting off. He's been great in these.

Yeah, they are just great action movies that don't seem rely on everything being 100% green screen. Very cool set pieces, fantastic action, and some good humor. The supporting cast is also damn good.

Reactions: dahliaclone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021

Renner is 51, not like he's a spring chicken.

I'm kinda over the Tom Cruise running genre, even though I've enjoyed theses films.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

yeah, he's been pegged to take over two big franchises and fell flat (Bourne and Mission: Impossible). . I honestly don't like Renner but that's just me. If bringing in a younger actor was what they wanted, they should have never chosen Renner...he's not young...he's 51.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Renner is 51, not like he's a spring chicken.

I'm kinda over the Tom Cruise running genre, even though I've enjoyed theses films.

I thought I would feel the same...but I'll be at every installment of these on opening night. As formulaic as these movies are, I really like them

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I never thought this franchise would be as great as it's become. The past few (since Ghost Protocol) have been some of the best action movies I can recall. Honestly, the ONLY movie in the entire franchise that I would label as 'bad' is #2.

This looks pretty great.

Number Two stopped Dougray Scott from being Wolverine.