Miller and Condon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Used to like listening in on the show a bit but it seems to have fallen to gambling (?) and beer drinking talk. Sorry, but that’s a waste of the airwaves,in my opinion.

Eh its off season....overall I like them quite a bit. Ken isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've felt he's typically objective.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
There aren't a lot of local sports going on, so this time of year tends to be dead on sports radio. I don't care for their show either, but I definitely understand the nature of their calendar.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Geez I kinda like their show. At least they give some time to the people covering ISU. It’s The Sports Fanatics that is usually unlistenable unless Ross is gone and it’s CW with AD instead.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I download their podcast on to hear Nick Osen (ISU 247 website) for 10-20 minutes.. Do people really listen to the radio anymore?? Do you not know about podcasts and fast forwarding to your desired content?

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Eh its off season....overall I like them quite a bit. Ken isn't everyone's cup of tea but I've felt he's typically objective.

They are probably the most sports forward show of all the KXNO shows, and I can appreciate that. I'm not knocking the other shows, they all of their unique style of covering sports and I'm guessing you don't get that variety in too many markets.

I do grow tired of so many gambling promos and segments throughout all the timeslots. I get that that is where the sponsorships are right now, I just hope it cools down after most get their accounts going (and other local sponsors can step up).

Reactions: BigTurk and mj4cy

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Not about them directly but every sports talk radio program has turned hard into the gambling aspect...which means there must be a big number of listeners who are interested? I am not...I just don't gamble...not a moral judgment at all...I am just too cheap to be willing to lose money gambling. All the gambling talk bores me...but I feel I must be in the minority on that subject.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not about them directly but every sports talk radio has turned hard into the gambling aspect...which means there must be a big number of listeners who are interested? I am not...I just don't gamble...not a moral judgment at all...I am just to cheap to be willing to lose money gambling. All the gambling talk bores me...but I feel I must be in the minority on that subject.
Probably in the minority, but definitely not alone.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Not about them directly but every sports talk radio has turned hard into the gambling aspect...which means there must be a big number of listeners who are interested? I am not...I just don't gamble...not a moral judgment at all...I am just to cheap to be willing to lose money gambling. All the gambling talk bores me...but I feel I must be in the minority on that subject.
I don't mind a little talk about point spreads and such, but when it devolves into 5-team parlays, teasers, prop bets, and odds hunting, I totally check out.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
That's pretty much my exact thoughts, too. I get that the industry is growing in Iowa, but seems every conversation/ad is tied to it (and I'm sure some of the gambling companies are kicking money into ads so they talk about it as part of their agreement).

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Gave up KXNO completely about a year ago. I stream SiriusXM. In the mornings I listen to Big 12 Radio, Chanel 375 with Ari Temkin and David Archer (Iowa State and Atlanta Falcon QB). Great show. I got sick of the snarky Iowa slant on KXNO. I get all my Iowa State info on Cyclone Fanatic.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Just heard them try to get ahead of stadium changes with the Chiefs and Royals with a ‘journalist’ named Nick Athan. Sorry, this is a potentially disastrous story and didn’t get much. And the hosts say they aren’t really that familiar with Kansas City. Because the Big 10 tourney isn’t there? Good grief.

• Haha
Reactions: carvers4math