SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Big presence indeed
200.webp

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would love to watch this train wreck. Bielema was just with the Patriots as the defensive line coach and multiple players hated him.

To be fair, history shows most of the Patriots’ players have hated everyone on that coaching staff for years. The difference is the decrease in the amount of winning this year.

Not saying Bielema wouldn’t be a complete failure in East Lansing, considering what happened at Arkansas. Just saying.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I heard last year on the college sports channel, that MSU was pressuring Dantinio to retool his offensive staff, and get rid of the current coaches. He instead did not want to fire anyone and just reassigned them to different coaching position.

I wonder if he planned on walking after this season if they struggled, and by doing it late, he got the bonus and increased the likelihood that one of his assistant coaches would be given the shot at the head coach, even if for only one year.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If polled, I'd guess that every other B1G program would be quite happy to see BB take the MSU job.

MSU can't possibly be that stupid. If they are, it'll be fun to watch that POS fail. Again.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Wow, they've already blown through all the logical choices and now that have to consider people who are asking to be interviewed? LOLZ

P.S. I hope all the Pollard haters are paying attention to how bad some other ADs are. Obviously their short list was no bueno por caca.

Reactions: cycloner29

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Looks like they went back to Colorado with more money and got Tucker.

What a weird search.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Looks like they went back to Colorado with more money and got Tucker.

What a weird search.

Yeah, they essentially doubled Tucker’s Colorado salary to $5.4 mil, which is where the “Dantonio screwed MSU” part comes in because they’re paying someone with a career 5-7 head coaching record the kind of money that you would use to hire someone like Matt Campbell away from us. That’s the gamble part. The smart part is giving him $6 million for assistant coaches and doubling the budget for S&C (I don’t know what from, and I simply don’t remember if they even said what that was on the radio this morning).

By the way, there is more word leaking out as to why Dantonio retired the way he did. It sounds like Dantonio wanted to hand-pick his replacement when he stepped down (probably at the end of 2020), so when MSU decided to hire a search firm for his replacement, this became a gigantic “**** you”. Here’s the problem with Dantonio’s attitude, though - if he retires 3-4 years ago he absolutely has that high ground. But after countless scandals over that time including Nassar and Blackwell, a near .500 record since the Playoff appearance, and possible punishments for various NCAA violations coming, Dantonio has effectively driven the program into the ground and essentially has forfeited that high ground to name his successor. So essentially Dantonio ****ed MSU over a temper tantrum.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wow, they've already blown through all the logical choices and now that have to consider people who are asking to be interviewed? LOLZ

P.S. I hope all the Pollard haters are paying attention to how bad some other ADs are. Obviously their short list was no bueno por caca.

The sad thing is you don’t realize just how sad of a shape MSU leadership is. They never truly cleaned house after the Nassar scandal, and every few months you hear about how another person in MSU leadership is under investigation for their part in one scandal or another. Then you have members of the MSU board of regents calling into radio talk shows demanding air time in what is probably the equivalent of a drunk text essentially saying “we didn’t want that guy anyway and we’re going to hire someone that wants to be here.” Then you have to realize that the MSU AD doesn’t ultimately make the decisions - Tom Izzo does. It’s why Dantonio was allowed to get away with the crap he got away with the last several years - Izzo and Dantonio are close friends and that gave Dantonio the kind of power he didn’t come close to deserving.

Basically, everything about the current state of affairs at MSU is a gigantic train wreck that occurred years ago and, instead of cleaning up the environmental hazards, people have “this is fine”’ed this into an even worse situation.

Reactions: drlove

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The sad thing is you don’t realize just how sad of a shape MSU leadership is. They never truly cleaned house after the Nassar scandal, and every few months you hear about how another person in MSU leadership is under investigation for their part in one scandal or another. Then you have members of the MSU board of regents calling into radio talk shows demanding air time in what is probably the equivalent of a drunk text essentially saying “we didn’t want that guy anyway and we’re going to hire someone that wants to be here.” Then you have to realize that the MSU AD doesn’t ultimately make the decisions - Tom Izzo does. It’s why Dantonio was allowed to get away with the crap he got away with the last several years - Izzo and Dantonio are close friends and that gave Dantonio the kind of power he didn’t come close to deserving.

Basically, everything about the current state of affairs at MSU is a gigantic train wreck that occurred years ago and, instead of cleaning up the environmental hazards, people have “this is fine”’ed this into an even worse situation.

Every time a regent or trustee from somewhere speaks publicly about athletics, it makes me appreciate the setup in this state.

• Agree
Reactions: jdoggivjc

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Mel Tucker? Good luck with that, its going to be a fast but long slide into a B1G bottom feeder.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Mel Tucker? Good luck with that, its going to be a fast but long slide into a B1G bottom feeder.

I think it’s way too early to speculate about that. The guy has literally been a head coach for one year and went 5-7 at a place that people to this day still thinks is the same Colorado program from 20+ years ago (and as ISU fans we should know better than that). He’s a guy that was an AHC with Nick Saban at Alabama (and who also gave him his start as a coach when Saban was still at MSU) as well as in the NFL as well as has been a DC at Ohio State, Georgia, and several different NFL teams. Plus he’s a solid recruiter that brought a strong 2020 class to Colorado including 4 ESPN top 300 recruits, not to mention he’s from Cleveland and historically knows how to recruit Ohio and Michigan. Under any other circumstances this is a really solid hire. The bad optics of this hire is MSU is paying $5.4 million for a guy with a career head coaching record of 5-7.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think it’s way too early to speculate about that. The guy has literally been a head coach for one year and went 5-7 at a place that people to this day still thinks is the same Colorado program from 20+ years ago (and as ISU fans we should know better than that). He’s a guy that was an AHC with Nick Saban at Alabama (and who also gave him his start as a coach when Saban was still at MSU) as well as in the NFL as well as has been a DC at Ohio State, Georgia, and several different NFL teams. Plus he’s a solid recruiter that brought a strong 2020 class to Colorado including 4 ESPN top 300 recruits, not to mention he’s from Cleveland and historically knows how to recruit Ohio and Michigan. Under any other circumstances this is a really solid hire. The bad optics of this hire is MSU is paying $5.4 million for a guy with a career head coaching record of 5-7.

Agree that the optics may be poor but somehow a team hired a HC that had a 5-19 HC coaching record and won a title in a couple years because he got the right assistants in place finally.

• Funny
Reactions: dafarmer

Help Support Us

Become a patron