Miami

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Perusing KenPom and other analytic sites this morning - EVERY defense in the BigXII is top 70. Miami is 123 (up from 141 before the Auburn game). Missouri is the only defense we've played this calendar year that is comparable. We still have to make shots - but the open shots are going to be there to make.

As always this team will live and die by whether they can make more threes (unless the other team is colder, see Wisky) - but it's amazing that we've won two tourney games with Grill going 3-14 and the team shooting 15-51 (29%). And even through two games almost half of those makes were just Hunter going crazy against LSU.

We're due for Brockington to go off and we're due for Grill/Kunc to string some 3s together.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I do wonder how we will match up with the quick guards Miami has. I like our chances, but that is one area that could be tough.

Miami only had 7 turnover total over their first two games. If they keep protecting the ball like that, it will be tough. Hopefully our defense confuses them like it has every other non-conference team.

Makes me wonder what the lowest opp TOs / steals we have in any game this year...

off to look at box scores for a bit

Reactions: isutrevman

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Perusing KenPom and other analytic sites this morning - EVERY defense in the BigXII is top 70. Miami is 123 (up from 141 before the Auburn game). Missouri is the only defense we've played this calendar year that is comparable. We still have to make shots - but the open shots are going to be there to make.

As always this team will live and die by whether they can make more threes (unless the other team is colder, see Wisky) - but it's amazing that we've won two tourney games with Grill going 3-14 and the team shooting 15-51 (29%). And even through two games almost half of those makes were just Hunter going crazy against LSU.

We're due for Brockington to go off and we're due for Grill/Kunc to string some 3s together.

Maybe we will finish some of those bunnies in the paint, since no big rim protector in there to scare us off or block the shots.

I am struggling to not get my hopes up. Don't give me hope! We're playing with house money already, but it's not impossible to imagine they win another game. Or two.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

I think there is something to teams playing better defense in the tournament when they are desperate and give more effort. Miami's defense looked a lot better against Auburn than their KenPom ranking would suggest. It could have also been Auburn just being really bad too, though.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
What I am curious about is their conference defensive accolades. Is Miami facing our type of defense alot? Although I realize if their guards are good, they're good. I'm still impressed with a team like Houston for example. That team is legit even after losing two starters mid-season. Wonder if Miami is alot like them.

ACC doesn't have any good defensive teams. Virginia's style is close to ours. Miami is 0-2 against them this year.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think this first weekend, we were able to catch teams off guard. LSU through their problems on their team, Wisconsin due to them not being prepared for our physical style of play. I think when we face Miami, they will be ready and expecting a grueling physical game from us. If we are going to win, I think we need to play pretty flawless and clean.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe we will finish some of those bunnies in the paint, since no big rim protector in there to scare us off or block the shots.

I am struggling to not get my hopes up. Don't give me hope! We're playing with house money already, but it's not impossible to imagine they win another game. Or two.

Here's my dose of hope killing - we were horrid at home or neutral sites with a crowd advantage this year (KC). We also weren't great as favorites in since the beginning of the year.

And we are going to have a huge crowd advantage and likely be favorites in this game. My personal theory is that they get over-hyped for the home crowd and press a bit and miss a lot of shots.

This team is obviously best when counted out and they are going to get a TON of people singing their praises and picking them this week. Need to stay in focus town.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I would be surprised if they don't at least have a chance late and once again, that's all we can ask for.

Reactions: bawbie

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think this first weekend, we were able to catch teams off guard. LSU through their problems on their team, Wisconsin due to them not being prepared for our physical style of play. I think when we face Miami, they will be ready and expecting a grueling physical game from us. If we are going to win, I think we need to play pretty flawless and clean.

They haven't faced anyone like us. The best team they played in the non-con was Alabama and they lost by 32.

Another interesting tidbit - they are very average in terms of 3pt attempts and percentage (34%) - but have been even worse than we have through the first 2 tourney games - combining for 4-29 (14%).

As almost every ISU game - this one will come down to which team can make more threes.

They've won because they have 22 steals and forced 31 TOs through 2 games.

We've won because we 24 steals and forced 35TOs through 2 games.

• Informative
Reactions: helechopper

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
They haven't faced anyone like us. The best team they played in the non-con was Alabama and they lost by 32.

Another interesting tidbit - they are very average in terms of 3pt attempts and percentage (34%) - but have been even worse than we have through the first 2 tourney games - combining for 4-29 (14%).

As almost every ISU game - this one will come down to which team can make more threes.

They've won because they have 22 steals and forced 31 TOs through 2 games.

We've won because we 24 steals and forced 35TOs through 2 games.
Yes.

Also, what the "experts", commentariat, etc... don't quite get is that our defense will physically wear teams down. You better have some subs. If your team's best players (Like Davis and Davison) play 37 and 38 minutes, they are not going to be effective late in the game. All 5 of Miami's players play 34 plus minutes. Good luck with that.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I was looking at their metrics. Their offense was ranked 18th i think but surprisingly the only things they do well are take care of the ball and make alot of 2-pt shots. They were bad at 3's and free throws which was kind of surprising for a team with a Top 20 offense.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

How many times have we had Grill and Jaz string 3's together. It's happened maybe once all year.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Ticker on ESPN shows Miami a 2.5 favorite but Iowa State with a 56% probability of winning. How dow that work?

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Ticker on ESPN shows Miami a 2.5 favorite but Iowa State with a 56% probability of winning. How dow that work?

The two metrics are exclusive of eachother. The win probability is an espn calculation they use based on statistics. The "2.5 favorite" is based on sports betting. I am not a sports better, but the line probably means more people are betting on Miami to win, which is why the line moved from ISU favored by 1 to Miami being favored to win.

• Agree
Reactions: drmwevr08

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The answer is 9 - the losses @texas and the OT KSU loss at home we forced only 9 TOs

The KSU game was a season low in steals (3).

Which is crazy because I don’t think Hunter has had less than 3 steals in a game by himself in many games since then. That’s the first stat I go to in the box. Hunter is an elite steals guy.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Seeing all this hubbub about Miami playing their starters 30+ minutes a game tells me that foul trouble will be our friend. Attack them and force the issue, then try to expose the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron