Mesh Internet Systems

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Thanks!

I guess what I mean is how do I make a MoCA adapter work when there is only one cable "hole" in the wall in the room? (with the goal of using the coaxial in the wall in lieu of Ethernet cables in the wall)
The MoCA adapter will have 2 Coax ports on it. For the adapter connected to your cable modem, you'd have the coax from the wall into the 'network' coax jack and the coax to your modem into the 'device' coax connector. You then run ethernet from your cable modem back to the moca adapter.

All other MoCA adapters would be connected to the 'network' coax jack and your other devices use the ethernet off the MoCA. Odds are the Device jacks on these other adapters will be unused.

moca-sample-setup.jpg

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
Just installed an eero system with 2 nodes last weekend. It seems to fix some dead spots in the house that were troublesome before, but I'm noticing a couple of things:

1) Speedtests from my PC directly connected to the gateway eero show consistent 130 Mbps download which is what I got with the previous router, and a Windows laptop speedtest through the 2nd eero via WiFi (WiFi between the two eeros and between eero #2 and the laptop) is also right around 130, but if I run speedtest.net at the same location as the laptop on any newer generation of iPhone (8, 10, 11) the speed is consistently slower ... like 85 Mbps. If I speedtest the iPhone close to the gateway eero its around 130. Not sure if I can blame this one on the eeros - seems like an iPhone WiFi hardware thing.

2) More troubling is that web page loads via Chrome are now really inconsistent, even when directly connected to the gateway eero via ethernet. I frequently have to reload web pages to fix random issues on the page. Anyone else seeing that? I sent an email to eero support but I'm not expecting much help through that channel.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I have another question that makes sense here. I am cutting the cord. Can I still use MoCA with the coax I have throughout the house, or will that cable now be “dead” with no application?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a TV in the garage that I have hooked up to DirecTV now via coax. I do have a powerline adapter that keeps it breathing for streaming use, but it’s not super reliable. Was wondering if I could use that coax cable for a potentially more stable connection instead of trying to run Cat6 to the garage.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have another question that makes sense here. I am cutting the cord. Can I still use MoCA with the coax I have throughout the house, or will that cable now be “dead” with no application?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have a TV in the garage that I have hooked up to DirecTV now via coax. I do have a powerline adapter that keeps it breathing for streaming use, but it’s not super reliable. Was wondering if I could use that coax cable for a potentially more stable connection instead of trying to run Cat6 to the garage.
What you're describing is the scenario MoCA is built for. You'd put a MoCA adapter in the garage, and another in the house attached to a coax output next to your router (or to the ethernet switch connected to it if you've got one). As long as those two coax lines are connected together with a coax splitter (wherever that is, your utility closet most likely) you've got network connectivity in the garage

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
What you're describing is the scenario MoCA is built for. You'd put a MoCA adapter in the garage, and another attached to a coax output next to your router (or to the ethernet switch connected to it if you've got one). As long those two coax lines are connected together with a coax splitter you've got network connectivity in the garage
Awesome. I thought so, but I was getting hung up on some of the fine print. Thanks!

Reactions: Bader

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I bought the TP-Link Deco Powerline for my parent's house.

It uses the power lines for backhaul, so that doesn't cut your speed. Also, it's supposed to be really good for thick walls. They have an old farmhouse with a lot of additions, so the interior walls were formerly exterior. Could not get any wifi to work in the house until this thing was installed.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Powerline adapters seem to be a really hit and miss solution. I tried a couple in my 10 year old home and the speeds were downright awful. I ended up pulling Cat 6. But if they work in your personal situation they certainly make life easier.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Powerline adapters seem to be a really hit and miss solution. I tried a couple in my 10 year old home and the speeds were downright awful. I ended up pulling Cat 6. But if they work in your personal situation they certainly make life easier.
Yeah…I’m using a powerline adapter, but very rarely. On a garage TV for seasonal use, and normally for live TV (ie DirecTV). Now that I’m cutting the cord, I’m concerned about that powerline reliability. I mean…I’ve watched movies streamed from Disney+/Amazon Prime, etc before, but I’m gonna be really upset if I’m trying to watch an Iowa State football game out there via live streaming service, and it buffers. I’m thinking MoCA would be better since there won’t be competing resources. Powerline is touchy because of “noise” (running a dishwasher on the same circuit, for example). MoCA shouldn’t have the same interference. I’m guessing still not as good as straight cat6, but better than powerline. At least that’s my hope.

@Bader (or anyone else who can answer), I don’t necessarily have to have one MoCA adapter close to the modem, do I? Just “close enough” to be wired with an Ethernet cable? Reason I ask…the room where my modem resides, I’m relying on WiFi. My modem has cat6 already in 3 ports for lines I dropped to the basement for hardwiring TVs downstairs. Because of that set up, the coax used for the TV in my main room (WiFi) is across the room from the modem. I am connected directly to an 8 port switch in the basement though, and that switch is close to a coax output. Theoretically, I should be able to set one end of the MoCA there, with the other in the garage, right?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yeah…I’m using a powerline adapter, but very rarely. On a garage TV for seasonal use, and normally for live TV (ie DirecTV). Now that I’m cutting the cord, I’m concerned about that powerline reliability. I mean…I’ve watched movies streamed from Disney+/Amazon Prime, etc before, but I’m gonna be really upset if I’m trying to watch an Iowa State football game out there via live streaming service, and it buffers. I’m thinking MoCA would be better since there won’t be competing resources. Powerline is touchy because of “noise” (running a dishwasher on the same circuit, for example). MoCA shouldn’t have the same interference. I’m guessing still not as good as straight cat6, but better than powerline. At least that’s my hope.

@Bader (or anyone else who can answer), I don’t necessarily have to have one MoCA adapter close to the modem, do I? Just “close enough” to be wired with an Ethernet cable? Reason I ask…the room where my modem resides, I’m relying on WiFi. My modem has cat6 already in 3 ports for lines I dropped to the basement for hardwiring TVs downstairs. Because of that set up, the coax used for the TV in my main room (WiFi) is across the room from the modem. I am connected directly to an 8 port switch in the basement though, and that switch is close to a coax output. Theoretically, I should be able to set one end of the MoCA there, with the other in the garage, right?
Yes that will be fine. The switch is just expanding the number of connections to your router essentially. The switch being floors away doesn’t change that.

Reactions: enisthemenace

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
We are using the linksys Velop 6 mesh system with 4 towers. If you want something that keeps up with all of your needs I’d recommend this every time. The investment has been well worth jt.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Just wanted to report back that I got the Google Nest 2-piece system (1 router, 1 point) about 3 weeks ago. It's working great. Just using the wireless for the point.

Seems like the speed isn't quite as good near the point as near the router, but still a good upgrade over my old 2-in-2 wireless router/modem. More reliable too.

I paired it with an Aris "Surfboard" modem, and I have Mediacom in the Des Moines area for reference.

(here it is if interested): https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFbo...e76f79735b86d&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

Reactions: cstrunk

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Anybody have issues with the internet connection on iPhones dropping frequently and randomly? We have a three-tower Velop system and computers have no issues while iPhones do.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I bought the Orbi Mesh Wifi 6 2 pack and the signals and speed throughout the house are just great. The biggest issue I have is some of the Feit wifi bulbs we already had in the house cant connect to them. They need the use the 2.4ghz band and the mesh system makes it really hard to separate between the 5ghz or 2.4ghz by design. I need to spend some more time researching a solution.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Just installed an eero system with 2 nodes last weekend. It seems to fix some dead spots in the house that were troublesome before, but I'm noticing a couple of things:

1) Speedtests from my PC directly connected to the gateway eero show consistent 130 Mbps download which is what I got with the previous router, and a Windows laptop speedtest through the 2nd eero via WiFi (WiFi between the two eeros and between eero #2 and the laptop) is also right around 130, but if I run speedtest.net at the same location as the laptop on any newer generation of iPhone (8, 10, 11) the speed is consistently slower ... like 85 Mbps. If I speedtest the iPhone close to the gateway eero its around 130. Not sure if I can blame this one on the eeros - seems like an iPhone WiFi hardware thing.

2) More troubling is that web page loads via Chrome are now really inconsistent, even when directly connected to the gateway eero via ethernet. I frequently have to reload web pages to fix random issues on the page. Anyone else seeing that? I sent an email to eero support but I'm not expecting much help through that channel.
Very late reply here, but did you ever solve this? (#2)

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I bought the Orbi Mesh Wifi 6 2 pack and the signals and speed throughout the house are just great. The biggest issue I have is some of the Feit wifi bulbs we already had in the house cant connect to them. They need the use the 2.4ghz band and the mesh system makes it really hard to separate between the 5ghz or 2.4ghz by design. I need to spend some more time researching a solution.

I have some Feit lights and a Google Nest Wifi setup. Feit lights were painful the first time I set them up. However, recently I renamed my network (I was bored) and when I had to re-establish the connections to the Feit lights it was super easy now. In fact, it let me set up all of the Feit lights together instead of one at a time. I was ready to spend some time doing that task and I was pleasantly surprised when it was so easy. I have read that the 5ghz/2.4ghz thing shouldn't matter because your lights only connect to 2.4 so the 5 might as well not even exist in relevance to the lights. What might be happening though is the device you are using to set them up might be connecting to the 5.0 network which might make the process a bit glitchy. Maybe?

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I have some Feit lights and a Google Nest Wifi setup. Feit lights were painful the first time I set them up. However, recently I renamed my network (I was bored) and when I had to re-establish the connections to the Feit lights it was super easy now. In fact, it let me set up all of the Feit lights together instead of one at a time. I was ready to spend some time doing that task and I was pleasantly surprised when it was so easy. I have read that the 5ghz/2.4ghz thing shouldn't matter because your lights only connect to 2.4 so the 5 might as well not even exist in relevance to the lights. What might be happening though is the device you are using to set them up might be connecting to the 5.0 network which might make the process a bit glitchy. Maybe?

Yeah I am pretty sure that is it, just gotta dig up an old tablet and download the app and try on there.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Yeah I am pretty sure that is it, just gotta dig up an old tablet and download the app and try on there.

I think that is what I had to do...might have used my old iTouch or an old phone...but I do remember struggling with it. That is one of the few drawbacks of mesh systems...the only thing I miss about my old tri-band router was dialing into a specific band.

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
Very late reply here, but did you ever solve this? (#2)
Sort of. I returned the eero system because I just wasn't satisfied with the speed near the remote node -- sometimes download speeds would be decent, sometimes not so good, without any obvious reason.

I went back to my old reliable Asus RT-AC68U router, but after switching back to it, the intermittent page loading errors in Chrome still happened once in a while, but not as frequently as with the eeros. Maybe that was a Chrome or Mediacom issue all along.

I ended up buying a 2nd Asus RT-AC68U on ebay for $40 and enabled Asus AIMesh on both of them and now I have pretty good coverage everywhere for a fraction of the cost. If I can find a way to run ethernet to the remote node I'll have a solution I'm perfectly happy with for now.

Reactions: Trice

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Enjoying my Eero and the fact that I can plug things directly into the satellites has them running great!

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
@Bader

Will the upper right of this diagram work? I have this all up and running just fine but I want to add another TV in the “room” in that part of the MoCA system. Apologies for the crude diagram. Using the “Mr Builder” app :D

CF786222-1C77-49EE-B5AF-B362A50A7B8D.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron