Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

kcbob79clone

From the Annals of Internal Medicine - Association Between ABO and Rh Blood Groups and SARS-CoV-2 Infection or Severe COVID-19 Illness: A Population-Based Cohort Study in Canada (O- Blood Type Associated With Lowest Coronavirus Infection Rate)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Positive is Iowa hospitalizations are down about 11-12% from the peak but 53% of the hospitalizations are 70+

Does any place show how many people are released? We had a stretch where deaths were in the 30 range, but not sure what ratio of the drop is those going home alive versus deaths.

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
Does any place show how many people are released? We had a stretch where deaths were in the 30 range, but not sure what ratio of the drop is those going home alive versus deaths.
What might be useful is the following which has a chart for "COVID-19 admitted in last 24 hours": https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/rmcc-data
There is a clear drop off over the last week or so.

This gives death statistics: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/outcome-analysis-deaths
But, I suspect the chart is by day-of-death. That means the drop off in deaths in the linked chart is a reporting artifact and not necessarily indicative of a drop in actual deaths (the last week or so will go up significantly as more deaths on those days are recorded after whatever reporting delays occur). Most of the numbers you will see elsewhere will be by day-that-death-is-reported (which has its own set of interpretation issues).

I also suspect that not all deaths are hospitalized.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Kinda funny if you follow these threads to the beginning how many different countries were being held out as doing it right... Sweden, Koreas, Russia, friggin' NEW YORK...
Not sure what point you're making, who said Russia was doing well on this? Sweden is often the poster child for less intervention by the government. Koreas, I'm not sure what to do with you mixing North and South Korea in an analysis. Can you just be clear in what you're trying to say?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m not sure. It does tell recovered, I’m assuming that would probably be what could be used. Odd part is, if you look at states like MN, they have them recovered in roughly 7 days from test, whereas Iowa doesn’t show people as recovered until they basically confirm they are ok.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He received an Emmy for his press briefings.
I watched one or two of his. Yes I was bored. He would yell at reporters who asked questions he didn’t like and when his 30 minutes, or whatever, was up he would get up and just walk out and ignore any other questions.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
What might be useful is the following which has a chart for "COVID-19 admitted in last 24 hours": https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/rmcc-data
There is a clear drop off over the last week or so.

This gives death statistics: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/outcome-analysis-deaths
But, I suspect the chart is by day-of-death. That means the drop off in deaths in the linked chart is a reporting artifact and not necessarily indicative of a drop in actual deaths (the last week or so will go up significantly as more deaths on those days are recorded after whatever reporting delays occur). Most of the numbers you will see elsewhere will be by day-that-death-is-reported (which has its own set of interpretation issues).

I also suspect that not all deaths are hospitalized.

Thanks. I know there is a huge lag in the death reporting. A 53 year old friend died and our county is small enough, I knew they didn’t report it for 9 days and she had no pre-existing conditions other than being 53. Makes me wonder if hospital admittance and release numbers also lag. I know positive tests do by quite a bit too given size of our county and known tests from people I know.

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneLawman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks. I know there is a huge lag in the death reporting. A 53 year old friend died and our county is small enough, I knew they didn’t report it for 9 days and she had no pre-existing conditions other than being 53. Makes me wonder if hospital admittance and release numbers also lag. I know positive tests do by quite a bit too given size of our county and known tests from people I know.

Some of that could be the lag in getting results. Testing has surged and there are some again that are 4-5 response time. Seeing that your friend had passed, my condolences, they may sit on those and work them in seeings that they dont believe them to be as pressing.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That is good! Now people just have to stop gathering inside homes in groups. I believe that is where a lot of the spread is right now. I know that is what the data from contact tracing shows in MN.

Same for WI. A lot of people upset that the new county level ordinance is draconian on in-home gatherings but didn't shut down restaurants/gyms/etc., just limited capacity. Contact tracing showed the majority of cases were from gatherings with different households.

• Informative
Reactions: CloniesForLife

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Same for WI. A lot of people upset that the new county level ordinance is draconian on in-home gatherings but didn't shut down restaurants/gyms/etc., just limited capacity. Contact tracing showed the majority of cases were from gatherings with different households.

I can confirm this is happening with folks I know in Iowa. Maybe not big gatherings, but definitely a lot of 'stopping in' which sounds innocent enough, but if multiple people are stopping in at multiple peoples' homes after they themselves have been stopping in at other peoples' homes it pretty much takes care of itself.

Also have a cousin who had contact with someone who had it in their household, and when he told his boss, the boss said so long as he didn't have symptoms, he should come in. So his boss hasn't read very much.

He pointed out that it could affect co-workers and the boss thankfully let him stay away for two weeks.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kinda funny if you follow these threads to the beginning how many different countries were being held out as doing it right... Sweden, Koreas, Russia, friggin' NEW YORK...

South Korea has 500 deaths in a densely populated population of 52 million.

The only way they haven't done well comparable to the world at large is in the eyes of people who can't take news of new small pockets here and there in proper context.

Imagine of the US only had about 3000 deaths (S Korea equivalent) instead of well over 200k. Plus I know from first hand experience their businesses are widely open compared to ours and their daily lives are closer to normal through most of this.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I'd still shut down the restaurants.
I know that in mine, we're dropping like flies this week. Looks like at least 2 symptomatic people, maybe more on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron