Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, after both vacation followed with sickness, I finally just saw Doctor Strange 2 this past Saturday, so as promised here is my thoughts. I'll start out by saying again I'm not the biggest multi-verse anything fan in the world, even in the comics, so I haven't loved how much the MCU has been leaning into it lately, especially with this movie. In general, multi-verses and time travel to me is lazy writing, loses stakes in anything, and threatens to lose the general audience (starting to see this happening with audience reactions to this movie). I was also hoping that after this movie, the MCU would lean more away from multi-verses rather than further in, which after seeing this movie, I don't believe to be true at all (Secret Wars anyone??).

With all that said, now is when I start railing into this movie right? Wrong. I actually really had a good time during this movie. Yes, I can see how this movie will be polarizing with most the fanbase, and if I were a betting man, I would have guessed I would land on the other side of the fence. Yes, I get where many of the complaints are coming from and find them somewhat valid, particularly with Wanda's motivations and arc. Yes, this is very much a Sam Raimi horror movie for good or for bad in which I would NOT bring my kids to. My kids would be traumatized to see this movie. With all that taken into account, I still just found myself having a big smile on my face pretty much the whole movie. Most the character arcs hit with me, most the action sequences were fun for me, and most of the surprise reveals made me nothing but giddy inside. Sometimes things just work for some people and not for others I guess. It also helped that this was the first Dolby 3D movie I have seen since Doctor Strange 1 and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this movie in 3D. In fact, I loved it so much in 3D that I don't discount how much it may have affected my overall opinion of the movie, and I don't care. It was so much fun that I may reconsider seeing more MCU movies in the future in 3D, and I for sure will see Avatar 2 in 3D. I do know Feige said they made this movie to especially be seen in 3D. Anyway, even after really enjoying this movie overall, I still have all the same multi-verse worries and concerns movie forward, but I'm getting slighting more onboard personally for where they are going. I'm still just not convinced the general audience can handle much more of it outside of us nerds.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I was also hoping that after this movie, the MCU would lean more away from multi-verses rather than further in, which after seeing this movie, I don't believe to be true at all (Secret Wars anyone??).
Secret Wars has the potential to act as a Flashpoint-like event for the MCU. It would allow them to basically cast new actors in slightly different versions of some of the dead or retired heroes, bring everything altogether and then shutdown the multiverse with a mixed new and old set of actors and heroes and then proceed forward. Will it work? Maybe, but with Secret Invasion being a thing, we may find out that several of the known characters may have been Skrulls the whole time anyway. What better way to clean up that mess, that a soft-reboot culminating from an epic event.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Secret Wars has the potential to act as a Flashpoint-like event for the MCU. It would allow them to basically cast new actors in slightly different versions of some of the dead or retired heroes, bring everything altogether and then shutdown the multiverse with a mixed new and old set of actors and heroes and then proceed forward. Will it work? Maybe, but with Secret Invasion being a thing, we may find out that several of the known characters may have been Skrulls the whole time anyway. What better way to clean up that mess, that a soft-reboot culminating from an epic event.

I really hope not. Retroactively changing beloved characters and altering their motivations to further a storyline would come across as really lazy and highly polarizing. It would probably end my interest in future movies.

I understand how the comic side of this all works with consequences being more of an inconvenience than anything tangible, but most movie goers won't react well if that is the same direction the movies follow.

Moving forward from Infinity War and Endgame and keeping the interest ball rolling is a really daunting task. I'm on board for now, but if the characters and story-telling starts to fall apart or feel cash-grabby, I wouldn't need a big push to move to something new.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
(Non-Spoiler Review) So, after both vacation followed with sickness, I finally just saw Doctor Strange 2 this past Saturday, so as promised here is my thoughts. I'll start out by saying again I'm not the biggest multi-verse anything fan in the world, even in the comics, so I haven't loved how much the MCU has been leaning into it lately, especially with this movie. In general, multi-verses and time travel to me is lazy writing, loses stakes in anything, and threatens to lose the general audience (starting to see this happening with audience reactions to this movie). I was also hoping that after this movie, the MCU would lean more away from multi-verses rather than further in, which after seeing this movie, I don't believe to be true at all (Secret Wars anyone??).

With all that said, now is when I start railing into this movie right? Wrong. I actually really had a good time during this movie. Yes, I can see how this movie will be polarizing with most the fanbase, and if I were a betting man, I would have guessed I would land on the other side of the fence. Yes, I get where many of the complaints are coming from and find them somewhat valid, particularly with Wanda's motivations and arc. Yes, this is very much a Sam Raimi horror movie for good or for bad in which I would NOT bring my kids to. My kids would be traumatized to see this movie. With all that taken into account, I still just found myself having a big smile on my face pretty much the whole movie. Most the character arcs hit with me, most the action sequences were fun for me, and most of the surprise reveals made me nothing but giddy inside. Sometimes things just work for some people and not for others I guess. It also helped that this was the first Dolby 3D movie I have seen since Doctor Strange 1 and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this movie in 3D. In fact, I loved it so much in 3D that I don't discount how much it may have affected my overall opinion of the movie, and I don't care. It was so much fun that I may reconsider seeing more MCU movies in the future in 3D, and I for sure will see Avatar 2 in 3D. I do know Feige said they made this movie to especially be seen in 3D. Anyway, even after really enjoying this movie overall, I still have all the same multi-verse worries and concerns movie forward, but I'm getting slighting more onboard personally for where they are going. I'm still just not convinced the general audience can handle much more of it outside of us nerds.
I never judge completely any movie (especially Marvel) that I haven’t seen a second (and hopefully more relaxed) time.

The 3D didn’t work so they showed regular and I was dead tired .

I trended somewhat to the negative but could be completely wrong.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I never judge completely any movie (especially Marvel) that I haven’t seen a second (and hopefully more relaxed) time.

The 3D didn’t work so they showed regular and I was dead tired .

I trended somewhat to the negative but could be completely wrong.

I'm with you on the second viewing opinion. Sorry you got robbed on the chance to see it in 3D. As of first viewing, this is one of those weird movies for me where:

- I 100% get why this movie is polarizing and some liked it and some didn't (If it is polarizing, I tend to not like those movies)
-I 100% get where the haters of this movie are coming from and even find the logic and validity behind their arguments very sound. I can't disagree with them even though it didn't necessarily hit the same way with me.
-I 100% understand why some parents are up in arms about bringing their kids to this movie only to walk out with a traumatized child. This movie was PG-13 and all, and unless some decent research was done, there wasn't a lot of reasoning to expect this movie to be much different in common-sense ratings than all the other MCU movies.

With all that said, I just had a fun time watching this movie. So be it, it is what it is.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I really hope not. Retroactively changing beloved characters and altering their motivations to further a storyline would come across as really lazy and highly polarizing. It would probably end my interest in future movies.
Well, it's going to happen when the series hits Disney+, it's just a matter of how many of the well known characters get the Skrull treatment. Most likely it will be lower impact characters with probably only one high profile character getting outed as a Skrull. I doubt anyone is going to shed too much of a tear if someone like Sharon Carter or Agent Ross ends up being a Skrull, but I understand those that would be upset if we found out one of the Avengers was a Skrull the whole time.

Honestly, I bet they won't really shown one of the big characters as a Skrull outside of the post credit stinger on the final episode, but it will be one that will throw enough turmoil in the fandom to keep people talking. Then it will end up being promptly ignored when the next movie hits.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Well, it's going to happen when the series hits Disney+, it's just a matter of how many of the well known characters get the Skrull treatment. Most likely it will be lower impact characters with probably only one high profile character getting outed as a Skrull. I doubt anyone is going to shed too much of a tear if someone like Sharon Carter or Agent Ross ends up being a Skrull, but I understand those that would be upset if we found out one of the Avengers was a Skrull the whole time.

Honestly, I bet they won't really shown one of the big characters as a Skrull outside of the post credit stinger on the final episode, but it will be one that will throw enough turmoil in the fandom to keep people talking. Then it will end up being promptly ignored when the next movie hits.
It will be Tony Stark

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Sharon Carter 100%

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Traumatized kids? Really?

Anyway, we saw it last night. Didn't love it but certainly didn't hate it. I'v e not loved the scarlet witch character for a while so that didn't help, plus I also didn't like her being the baddie suddenly. She always seemed on the verge of being too OP, which they ran with when she slaughtered the other universes top hero's in about 3 minutes. That third eyeball is freaky...

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Traumatized kids? Really?

Anyway, we saw it last night. Didn't love it but certainly didn't hate it. I'v e not loved the scarlet witch character for a while so that didn't help, plus I also didn't like her being the baddie suddenly. She always seemed on the verge of being too OP, which they ran with when she slaughtered the other universes top hero's in about 3 minutes. That third eyeball is freaky...

I know a lot of parents who took their kids to it where it scared the crap out of their kids. I can tell you if I was a kid, it would have scared the crap out of me too. To each their own I guess. I let my 7 and 5 year old watch MCU movies with me, but I won't show them this movie for a long while. It doesn't help either that they are 2 girls who love Wanda from Wandavision..... gulp.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I know a lot of parents who took their kids to it where it scared the crap out of their kids. I can tell you if I was a kid, it would have scared the crap out of me too. To each their own I guess. I let my 7 and 5 year old watch MCU movies with me, but I won't show them this movie for a long while. It doesn't help either that they are 2 girls who love Wanda from Wandavision..... gulp.
There were a couple of moments where I looked over to my 12 yo just to make sure he was ok. I still remember being a 7 yo kid and seeing both of the films that were directly responsible for the PG-13 rating. Temple of Doom and Gremlins both came in 1984 and while ToD really didn't bother me (outside of the bugs in the trap lever area) Gremlins certainly left it's mark. I think we've just gotten so used to movies on the safer end of the PG-13 spectrum that we forget what they can actually get away with and stay under and R-rating.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and Triggermv

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I wasn't familiar with the Secret Invasion part from the comics, but they apparently set the stage with the Nick Fury/Maria Hill post credit scene in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I'm pretty apprehensive, but I'll keep an open mind and give it a whirl. I like the option of a Mystique/Morph character with those abilities, but a larger scale approach takes away some of the fun of the ability (to me anyways). I'm hoping they don't use the Skrull option as an easy button in place of good story telling.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
There were a couple of moments where I looked over to my 12 yo just to make sure he was ok. I still remember being a 7 yo kid and seeing both of the films that were directly responsible for the PG-13 rating. Temple of Doom and Gremlins both came in 1984 and while ToD really didn't bother me (outside of the bugs in the trap lever area) Gremlins certainly left it's mark. I think we've just gotten so used to movies on the safer end of the PG-13 spectrum that we forget what they can actually get away with and stay under and R-rating.
My daughter was fine with about everything in all of the MCU movies, but the change of eye colors associated with Loki's scepter in Avengers and the Extremis in Iron Man 3 was terrifying to her.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You shouldn't take Twitter as an absolute for anything but across all genders people seem to be on fire horned up about Natalie and the gun show.