• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://deadline.com/2019/10/kevin-...arvel-title-oversees-all-creative-1202760382/

In big breaking news, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has now also been promoted to Chief Creative Officer over everything Marvel, which includes movies, TV, animation and comics. So, what this means is that the divide and rift between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV is now gone as Kevin now controls all of it. This shouldn't be surprising when we look at both the foray of Marvel Studios into TV through its upcoming Disney+ platform, but also the seemingly demise of any type of Marvel TV project over the past year or so. Therefore, now when anyone Marvel says "its all connected", it likely all eventually will be. What should be most interesting to keep an eye on through all of this would be what all the existing Marvel TV series start to look like moving forward such as Agents of Shield (final season), Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, as well as the upcoming Helstrom series which has just started production.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
https://deadline.com/2019/10/kevin-...arvel-title-oversees-all-creative-1202760382/

In big breaking news, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has now also been promoted to Chief Creative Officer over everything Marvel, which includes movies, TV, animation and comics. So, what this means is that the divide and rift between Marvel Studios and Marvel TV is now gone as Kevin now controls all of it. This shouldn't be surprising when we look at both the foray of Marvel Studios into TV through its upcoming Disney+ platform, but also the seemingly demise of any type of Marvel TV project over the past year or so. Therefore, now when anyone Marvel says "its all connected", it likely all eventually will be. What should be most interesting to keep an eye on through all of this would be what all the existing Marvel TV series start to look like moving forward such as Agents of Shield (final season), Runaways, Cloak and Dagger, as well as the upcoming Helstrom series which has just started production.

I just hope some of the really good TV characters make it back. Daredevil, Punisher, and Ghost Rider specifically.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Cloak and Dagger has been cancelled.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cloak-and-dagger-canceled-freeform-1203382945/

Not surprising as Disney tries to consolidate their properties on Disney+

Kind of sad for me to see as I actually enjoyed Cloak and Dagger for the most part. Overall, I actually probably enjoyed it more than Runaways, maybe because there were less characters/actors/actresses that were terrible and bugged the crap out of me. Not surprising though, but the good news is that this isn't the last we will see of them as they have their crossover with The Runaways coming out soon.

On a separate note, I'm still not wholly convinced that the consolidated Marvel under Kevin Feige's leadership will wholly consolidate everything under Disney+. I have no doubt the majority of the properties will be on there, but we've also got to remember that networks like ABC, Freeform and streaming services like Hulu are also wholly owned by Disney as well and are still going to need product. You can even see in the interview with the Freeform head that he would still like to do another Marvel product in the future. At a minimum, I'd be shocked if Marvel doesn't continue to move forward with some more mature content eventually to add diversity to their offerings where they can segregate that off to Hulu.

Regardless RIP Cloak and Dagger

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-daughter-a9173196.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Over the past week, there has been rumors of Disney considering their options with replacing or removing Jeremy Renner from his Hawkeye MCU role amid harsh accusations by his soon-to-be ex-wife in their divorce proceedings. Now, latest word is that while Disney considered other options, they seem to be wanting to stick with Renner.

Regardless of people's thoughts on these types of matters, digging into divorce proceedings for anyone almost always seems like a messy endeavor, especially when custody, money and a lot of built-up anger is involved. As much as all of us want to take harsh accusations seriously, its almost as if divorce proceedings is maybe the hardest environment to sort through what is actually true and false. It also seems to be when people are at their worst. Everyone is free to think what they will on the matter for sure. Personally, I tend to stay relatively arms-length on what goes on in divorce proceedings. It seems only really a judge, if even them, can sort through those messes, unless of course further proof surfaces. I've never been through a divorce, but I imagine it many times turns into nothing but a poop-throwing contest.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-daughter-a9173196.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Over the past week, there has been rumors of Disney considering their options with replacing or removing Jeremy Renner from his Hawkeye MCU role amid harsh accusations by his soon-to-be ex-wife in their divorce proceedings. Now, latest word is that while Disney considered other options, they seem to be wanting to stick with Renner.

I had a discussion with a co-worker about Netflix's series "The Ranch" and about how it hasn't been as good since Danny Masterson was let go. I was trying to say that the way streaming is setup way differently than broadcast TV. In the broadcast world when you have a scenario like Roseanne you are stuck in your time-slot and the network needs to do all sorts of spin control in order to keep as many viewers as possible. Streaming isn't like that at all: the audience pays regardless of the time-slot and I doubt many people cancelled Netflix over the Danny Masterson debacle and instead either chose to watch something else, or more likely, continued to watch the show anyways.

I think Disney+ can treat the Jeremy Renner situation in a similar way - although since they are Disney they will probably go above what they should. They also will want to avoid another James Gunn scenario.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My company (I didn't get to work on this one) created this retro Spiderman action figure for the blu-ray/digital release available through Wal-Mart and Sony created a bizarrely awesome "night monkey" ad for it in Italian even though it's a US product.

It swings from a suction cup and rope like an old school GI JOE.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://collider.com/michael-douglas-the-kominsky-method-season-2-ant-man-3-interview/

Michael Douglas confirms filming for Ant-Man 3 begins in January in 2021, so I would consider Ant-Man 3 as confirmed for Phase 5. Phase 5 is currently looking stacked:

Confirmed:
Black Panther 2
Ant Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Spider-Man 3
Blade

Likely, but not yet confirmed:
Captain Marvel 2

Mentioned by Feige as being in development:
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel (will start as Disney+ series before heading to big screen)

Another fun rumor is that Deadpool 3 may be in the early stages of development:
https://hnentertainment.co/rumor-th...-already-be-in-development-at-marvel-studios/

From the article:
A new shell company has been designated by Disney (most likely Marvel Studios) for a possible upcoming feature film.

FINGER GUNS PRODUCTIONS LLC

Wade Wilson is known for the finger guns pose (seen in the films, comics, and merch) and the company is described as “guns and ammo” (a possible cheeky reference to the magazine).

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I’ll guess that Deadpool shows up in the post credits scenes of the next Spider-Man to help set up Mutants. Really hope they can keep Deadpool going with the R-rated stuff too.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
https://collider.com/michael-douglas-the-kominsky-method-season-2-ant-man-3-interview/

Michael Douglas confirms filming for Ant-Man 3 begins in January in 2021, so I would consider Ant-Man 3 as confirmed for Phase 5. Phase 5 is currently looking stacked:

Confirmed:
Black Panther 2
Ant Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy 3
Spider-Man 3
Blade

Likely, but not yet confirmed:
Captain Marvel 2

Mentioned by Feige as being in development:
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel (will start as Disney+ series before heading to big screen)

Another fun rumor is that Deadpool 3 may be in the early stages of development:
https://hnentertainment.co/rumor-th...-already-be-in-development-at-marvel-studios/

From the article:
A new shell company has been designated by Disney (most likely Marvel Studios) for a possible upcoming feature film.

FINGER GUNS PRODUCTIONS LLC

Wade Wilson is known for the finger guns pose (seen in the films, comics, and merch) and the company is described as “guns and ammo” (a possible cheeky reference to the magazine).
I'm ready. Let's get this train rolling again!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I’ll guess that Deadpool shows up in the post credits scenes of the next Spider-Man to help set up Mutants. Really hope they can keep Deadpool going with the R-rated stuff too.

I think the R rating is basically guaranteed - that's why they are setting up the other company so they don't have to release it under Marvel or Disney.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Scorsese explains his comments. Thoughts?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Comment that probably sums up his message:
"There’s worldwide audiovisual entertainment, and there’s cinema. They still overlap from time to time, but that’s becoming increasingly rare. And I fear that the financial dominance of one is being used to marginalize and even belittle the existence of the other."

As someone who would list Stanley Kubrick among my five favorite artists of any kind, I have to agree with this. I enjoy a majority of the modern superhero and star wars franchise movies but they have become something apart from even many previous traditional action or adventure movies, definitely something apart from what would be called classic cinema.

The question is why anyone would be angry or insulted by what he said? I literally make my living off of these movies, they are worldwide audiovisual entertainment much more than they're like 2001 or even the original Raiders or Jaws or Ghostbusters. The MCU/Expanded Star Wars approach is something new and different that does borrow from other things like episodic tv, comics and theme parks. This doesn't mean it can't be great or enjoyed, but it's something different. In my job designing products for these movies around the globe I get to see how global tastes push and pull in certain directions, the MCU is creating/changing global tastes and preferences at the same time it is shaped by them.

I recently got to tour a new virtual reality experience complex for my job, and it really opened my eyes and blew me away. In the future movies like Fast and Furious 17 and Transformers 27 will be that format, they don't even want to be "cinema" as Scorsese points out. They want to be an audio visual action experience.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Scorsese explains his comments. Thoughts?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Comment that probably sums up his message:
"There’s worldwide audiovisual entertainment, and there’s cinema. They still overlap from time to time, but that’s becoming increasingly rare. And I fear that the financial dominance of one is being used to marginalize and even belittle the existence of the other."

As someone who would list Stanley Kubrick among my five favorite artists of any kind, I have to agree with this. I enjoy a majority of the modern superhero and star wars franchise movies but they have become something apart from even many previous traditional action or adventure movies, definitely something apart from what would be called classic cinema.

The question is why anyone would be angry or insulted by what he said? I literally make my living off of these movies, they are worldwide audiovisual entertainment much more than they're like 2001 or even the original Raiders or Jaws or Ghostbusters. The MCU/Expanded Star Wars approach is something new and different that does borrow from other things like episodic tv, comics and theme parks. This doesn't mean it can't be great or enjoyed, but it's something different. In my job designing products for these movies around the globe I get to see how global tastes push and pull in certain directions, the MCU is creating/changing global tastes and preferences at the same time it is shaped by them.

I recently got to tour a new virtual reality experience complex for my job, and it really opened my eyes and blew me away. In the future movies like Fast and Furious 17 and Transformers 27 will be that format, they don't even want to be "cinema" as Scorsese points out. They want to be an audio visual action experience.

I'm trying to think of a reason he wouldn't trash 2001, Raiders, or Jaws.

What could it be?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm trying to think of a reason he wouldn't trash 2001, Raiders, or Jaws.

What could it be?

Can't tell if you're being serious or not but I don't think 2001 and Jaws were intended to be blockbuster franchises by the people originally writing/directing them. Raiders probably was, Raiders is actually kind of like MCU in that it was based on classic adventure novels and movies the same way the MCU is based off mostly 60s-90s comics.

I don't think everything deemed "cinema" has to make you think the way 2001 does, but 2001 is probably the ultimate example of using special effects to tell a story in a film that is still very obviously "high art" to use a pretentious term.

I understand the "risk taking" element he points out a few times, to me that's why I think he's making a valid point. There's very little risk with any MCU movie at this point. It has reached critical mass with brand loyalty of its fan base. That's not easy to do and a great accomplishment in itself, but it's also the complete antitheses of what "art" is.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Can't tell if you're being serious or not but I don't think 2001 and Jaws were intended to be blockbuster franchises by the people originally writing/directing them. Raiders probably was, Raiders is actually kind of like MCU in that it was based on classic adventure novels and movies the same way the MCU is based off mostly 60s-90s comics.

I don't think everything deemed "cinema" has to make you think the way 2001 does, but 2001 is probably the ultimate example of using special effects to tell a story in a film that is still very obviously "high art" to use a pretentious term.

I understand the "risk taking" element he points out a few times, to me that's why I think he's making a valid point. There's very little risk with any MCU movie at this point. It has reached critical mass with brand loyalty of its fan base. That's not easy to do and a great accomplishment in itself, but it's also the complete antitheses of what "art" is.

Risk taking?

When he has a movie about introspective gangsters bomb would he then consider doing a Marvel film?

Help Support Us

Become a patron