• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm bummed I won't be able to see The Marvels for a couple weeks, so it will be a bit before I can give my reaction. I hope it is good, but would be lying if I was optimistic.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Box office tracking for The Marvels is...really really bad. A few weeks ago projections were $80 for opening weekend which isn't very good at all for a Marvel Movie. Now projections are low $50M for the weekend which if it happens would be the lowest opening for any Marvel movie in history. And the budget is somehow $274M. Gulp...

There is just no freaking reason these movies are so expensive either. Why?

First Reactions to The Marvels are coming out. The common theme I am seeing is that everyone, regardless if they liked the movie or not, has said Iman Vellani is the stand-out, which I think is a "win" for Marvel. I thought Ms Marvel was a good TV show, but I had concerns with how her character, specifically her powers, would look on the big screen.

I don't know. I think Iman Vellani is good, I liked her in her show, but that is just another show that had a really promising first two episodes and then just completely lost the thread. That's the last Marvel show I watched in it's entirety. And if we're honest her powers kind of suck.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I don't know. I think Iman Vellani is good, I liked her in her show, but that is just another show that had a really promising first two episodes and then just completely lost the thread. That's the last Marvel show I watched in it's entirety. And if we're honest her powers kind of suck.

Agree with all your sentiment on Ms Marvel. I was digging the show at first, but it somehow kind of all fell apart towards the end, which is my same sentiment for a lot of the MCU series. Also, there is a lot of chatter behind of scenes of extensive reshoots and rewrites for The Marvels that somehow ballooned the budget for this thing.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
She-Hulk was 225 million. Think about that. If you havent seen that show, it wasnt worth even close to that.

Thats a travesty.

Hell, Moonknight was "only" 147 mill and it had higher tier actors in it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The she-hulk thing is a bit misleading iirc as I think they ended up reworking a bunch of the series which meant having to redo a bunch of the vfx. So yeah, the product wasn't worth anywhere near that much because a lot of that cost ended up in the trash.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The she-hulk thing is a bit misleading iirc as I think they ended up reworking a bunch of the series which meant having to redo a bunch of the vfx. So yeah, the product wasn't worth anywhere near that much because a lot of that cost ended up in the trash.

There has been a plethora of MCU shows and movies with a ton of budget in the trash lately. This fix it in post mentality that Marvel Studios has had since the beginning isn't working anymore. Need better preparation and tighter scripts ahead of time.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The has been a plethora of MCU shows and movies with a ton of budget in the trash lately. This fix it in post mentality that Marvel Studios has had since the beginning isn't working anymore. Need better preparation and tighter scripts ahead of time.

Loki is weird as F but to me its well written, well acted, and well directed. I can absolutely get behind that team.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
They probably need to stop making marvel movies. Like for good. Just way too many and they've been getting progressively worse. They had a good run. It's time to move on. Same with Star Wars.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
They probably need to stop making marvel movies. Like for good. Just way too many and they've been getting progressively worse. They had a good run. It's time to move on. Same with Star Wars.
I dunno about that per se. I think they are going to use Secret Wars to smash this current run and start new with characters, actors, and so on. However, to make it work, they need a well thought out plan like the Infinity Saga. I could watch all of those movies leading up and the Infitity movies themselves multiple times. Everything after went off the rails. Some soul searching would be great.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I dunno about that per se. I think they are going to use Secret Wars to smash this current run and start new with characters, actors, and so on. However, to make it work, they need a well thought out plan like the Infinity Saga. I could watch all of those movies leading up and the Infitity movies themselves multiple times. Everything after went off the rails. Some soul searching would be great.
Yep I still re-watch almost all of the Phase 1, 2 and 3 movies when they are on a channel. Watched Age of Ultron last week just because flipping around YTTV and saw it on. Iron Man 3 a couple of days ago.

Reactions: bos

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just got out of The Marvels. All I’ll say is that it was fun.

I’ll further say that every single one of you wants to see the post credits scene. Which I won’t spoil, except to say that the very last two words are
Oh ****.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just got out of The Marvels. All I’ll say is that it was fun.

I’ll further say that every single one of you wants to see the post credits scene. Which I won’t spoil, except to say that the very last two words are
Oh ****.

The ending is the best part of that movie. - Also something they added in at the very last moment. The character is 100% CGI.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

They just need to stop making TV shows. Release 2-3 movies a year and it'd still be an event.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Currently don't have plans to see The Marvels... may try to find time to see it after seeing positive word-of-mouth vs. the less than good critic reviews.

Loki season 2 finale though. Easily the best imagery and cinematography of the entire MCU. That entire season was stellar IMO, but the finale was just the cherry on top of its ever-rising stakes. It'll be interesting to see if they can take it to a Season 3. I could honestly see them ending it and letting it just fall into line with the end of the Multiverse Saga.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For anybody burnt out on Marvel, especially the D+ streaming series...Amazon's stuff is absolutely killing it in comparison it if you don't mind more adult themes and violence.

Gen V was just as good as The Boys from which it spun off, renewed for another season. Invincible season 2 is finally starting after what seems like years, the first season is probably the closest to a live action comic book I've seen. They aren't big screen movies but easily some of the best episodic TV hero stories ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwitt and peteypie

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Loki Season 1 was fantastic. I thought Season 2 started as Meh, but the last 2 episodes were fantastic!

Watching it today and reading rumors about the potential revival of the already dead cast members got me thinking of how to save and finish the MCU.

I view it as 3 major villain arcs of 3 phases each.
  1. First we had the formation of the Avengers and the fight against Thanos in the Infinity War.
  2. We have the intro to new characters, but still a need for the originals in a fight against Kang in the multiversal war.
    • I think the newcomers getting their butts kicked by Kang is important and perhaps Loki can use his new powers to revive the old cast to help save the day similar to the time heist in Endgame.
    • Introduce the Fantastic Four and maybe some mutants, but not all. I'd really like a bad Rouge introduced to steal Carol Danvers Powers and put her in a coma.
  3. Keep Spiderman around, Fantastic Four finds solid footing and fully introduces the X-Men. The final Avengers movie of phase 9 will be the New Avengers Teaming up: Spiderman, Thing, Wolverine, Luke Cage, and the return of Carol Danvers.
There are a lot of great stories to be told about Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and the New Avengers. Bring this baby home and then shut it down for a while... Let us crave the superhero genre again before a reboot.

• Agree
Reactions: bos and 3GenClone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Loki Season 1 was fantastic. I thought Season 2 started as Meh, but the last 2 episodes were fantastic!

Watching it today and reading rumors about the potential revival of the already dead cast members got me thinking of how to save and finish the MCU.

I view it as 3 major villain arcs of 3 phases each.
  1. First we had the formation of the Avengers and the fight against Thanos in the Infinity War.
  2. We have the intro to new characters, but still a need for the originals in a fight against Kang in the multiversal war.
    • I think the newcomers getting their butts kicked by Kang is important and perhaps Loki can use his new powers to revive the old cast to help save the day similar to the time heist in Endgame.
    • Introduce the Fantastic Four and maybe some mutants, but not all. I'd really like a bad Rouge introduced to steal Carol Danvers Powers and put her in a coma.
  3. Keep Spiderman around, Fantastic Four finds solid footing and fully introduces the X-Men. The final Avengers movie of phase 9 will be the New Avengers Teaming up: Spiderman, Thing, Wolverine, Luke Cage, and the return of Carol Danvers.
There are a lot of great stories to be told about Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and the New Avengers. Bring this baby home and then shut it down for a while... Let us crave the superhero genre again before a reboot.
Honestly introducing and developing the X-Men could be its own phase. If done right, it could save the MCU.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Help Support Us

Become a patron