Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I didn't know what to expect from David Harbour's Red Guardian character, but something tells me I'm going to love him.

cant be worse than his hellboy. Although that wasn’t really any fault of his

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-spoiler review) While not Marvel related, I did get a chance to see The Boys: Season 1 recently here on Amazon Prime and I ultimately came away pretty mixed. The cinematography and acting was stellar with a pretty high production value mostly throughout. The show looked great. Even the costumes were really cool. Therefore, you could tell that they at least gave this thing a halfway decent budget, minus stimping some on some of the bigger battle sequences one comes to expect with our superhero affair, especially lacking towards the end. However, while at first the whole premise of the movie was intriguing, I found it to get somewhat tiresome as the season went on. The series is obviously trying REALLY hard to be brash, contrarian, and go as far as possible against pretty much anything and anyone in typically superhero movies or just lift in general. Essentially, the entire series spends most of its time looking for the worst in people, which if I'm honest, I just don't really enjoy too much. In fact, I found some of it offensive, but not in an introspective way, but just in an offensive way. So, while there were certain parts of the shows I enjoyed, particularly the look and production value, and even a few story bits, I can't say I ended up really liking the show too much. I found the lack of a climatic ending to be a little disappointing as well. Would love to hear other people's thoughts. With that said, the following is my updated Superhero TV rankings to include the show.

1. Daredevil (Season 3)
  2. The Punisher (Season 1)
  3. The Flash (Season 1)
  4. Daredevil (Season 2)
  5. Agents of Shield (Season 5)
  6. Daredevil (Season 1)
  7. Agents of Shield (Season 4)
  8. Arrow (Season 2)
  9. Arrow (Season 1)
  10. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  11. Luke Cage (Season 2)
  12. Jessica Jones (Season 3)
  13. Supergirl (Season 4)
  14. Arrow (Season 5)
  15. The Flash (Season 2)
  16. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  17. Supergirl (Season 1)
  18. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  19. Runaways (Season 2)
  20. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  21. Agents of Shield (Season 6)
  22. The Gifted (Season 2)
  23. The Gifted (Season 1)
  24. Supergirl (Season 2)
  25. The Tick (Season 1)
  26. Iron Fist (Season 2)
  27. Arrow (Season 6)
  28. The Flash (Season 4)
  29. Legion (Season 1)
  30. Jessica Jones (Season 2)
  31. Krypton (Season 1)
  32. Powerless (Season 1)
  33. Cloak and Dagger (Season 1)
  34. Cloak and Dagger (Season 2)
  35. The Punisher (Season 2)
  36. Runaways (Season 1)
  37. Gotham (Season 1)
  38. The Flash (Season 3)
  39. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  40. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  41. The Defenders (Season 1)
  42. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  43. The Flash (Season 5)
  44. Supergirl (Season 3)
  45. The Boys (Season 1)
  46. Legion (Season 2)
  47. Gotham (Season 2)
  48. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  49. Constantine (Season 1)
  50. The Tick (Season 2)
  51. Arrow (Season 3)
  52. Arrow (Season 7)
  53. Arrow (Season 4)
  54. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
  55. Black Lightning (Season 1)
  56. Black Lightning (Season 2)
  57. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 3)
  58. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2)
  59. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 4)
  60. Inhumans (Season 1)
Up next, I'm currently about 5 episodes in on Star Trek Discovery, so I'll be away from the superhero affair for a bit. Probably do a little Cobra Kai and The Mandalorian after that. However, once those are knocked out, I plan on delving back into DC TV pretty strong by watching Krypton: Season 2 and finally getting my first DC streaming service subscription where I knock all of those out.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
(Non-spoiler review) While not Marvel related, I did get a chance to see The Boys: Season 1 recently here on Amazon Prime and I ultimately came away pretty mixed. The cinematography and acting was stellar with a pretty high production value mostly throughout. The show looked great. Even the costumes were really cool. Therefore, you could tell that they at least gave this thing a halfway decent budget, minus stimping some on some of the bigger battle sequences one comes to expect with our superhero affair, especially lacking towards the end. However, while at first the whole premise of the movie was intriguing, I found it to get somewhat tiresome as the season went on. The series is obviously trying REALLY hard to be brash, contrarian, and go as far as possible against pretty much anything and anyone in typically superhero movies or just lift in general. Essentially, the entire series spends most of its time looking for the worst in people, which if I'm honest, I just don't really enjoy too much. In fact, I found some of it offensive, but not in an introspective way, but just in an offensive way. So, while there were certain parts of the shows I enjoyed, particularly the look and production value, and even a few story bits, I can't say I ended up really liking the show too much. I found the lack of a climatic ending to be a little disappointing as well. Would love to hear other people's thoughts.

Episode 1 of The Boys was not what I expected at all. I thought this was going to be a more comedic series - I never read the comics, so maybe I shouldn't have expected that. Once I adjusted to the tone I started to enjoy it.

The actor that plays Hughie is super charismatic - very reminiscent of Zachary Levi in the TV series Chuck.

Outside of Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue, the cast is full of unknown actors, but I thought they were are all pretty solid with their acting.

You thought the finale wasn't climactic?? The final reveal for Karl Urban's character is the second most vivid thing I remember from S1, the first is obviously what Hughie does to Translucent.

I'll definitely watch S2, but I may not make it through the whole season as I really started to lose interest in Hughie's character in the last few episodes, which is a big problem: The series needs Hughie to kind of guide the audience into why we "hate" certain heroes or why we like others, and really without Hughie the series wouldn't be all that interesting anymore. I would like to see more about the Queen Maeve and Starlight dynamic, and I'm curious what is going to happen to the leadership shakeup at Vought International.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Episode 1 of The Boys was not what I expected at all. I thought this was going to be a more comedic series - I never read the comics, so maybe I shouldn't have expected that. Once I adjusted to the tone I started to enjoy it.

The actor that plays Hughie is super charismatic - very reminiscent of Zachary Levi in the TV series Chuck.

Outside of Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue, the cast is full of unknown actors, but I thought they were are all pretty solid with their acting.

You thought the finale wasn't climactic?? The final reveal for Karl Urban's character is the second most vivid thing I remember from S1, the first is obviously what Hughie does to Translucent.

I'll definitely watch S2, but I may not make it through the whole season as I really started to lose interest in Hughie's character in the last few episodes, which is a big problem: The series needs Hughie to kind of guide the audience into why we "hate" certain heroes or why we like others, and really without Hughie the series wouldn't be all that interesting anymore. I would like to see more about the Queen Maeve and Starlight dynamic, and I'm curious what is going to happen to the leadership shakeup at Vought International.

The reveal was definitely big for sure, but shoot, there wasn't even a fight at all at the end. It was all based around a cliff-hanger reveal. I found your thoughts on Hughie to be good. One other thing I didn't like was how shaky right and wrong was throughout. We are supposed to root for The Boys in this thing right? Yet, in many ways, they are just as bad as who they are going against and their reasoning jumps for why they do what they do are pretty darn big at certain times. I get it that there isn't always a hero in every story, but then why are they sometimes trying to make guys like Hughie out to be one and then at other times they don't. Just felt it was a bit all over the place. I mean, what is the point of this entire series really other than to be just over-the-top crude and in your face offensive, especially when both sides are so unlikable throughout? Unless there is a point to this thing, the whole series kind of reminds me of that kid in your class growing up who was just an over-the-top offensive jerk for no apparent reason other than to be cool. Sure, his shock value is intriguing at first and catches your eye, but eventually he just gets tiring.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The reveal was definitely big for sure, but shoot, there wasn't even a fight at all at the end. It was all based around a cliff-hanger reveal. I found your thoughts on Hughie to be good. One other thing I didn't like was how shaky right and wrong was throughout. We are supposed to root for The Boys in this thing right? Yet, in many ways, they are just as bad as who they are going against and their reasoning jumps for why they do what they do are pretty darn big at certain times. I get it that there isn't always a hero in every story, but then why are they sometimes trying to make guys like Hughie out to be one and then at other times they don't. Just felt it was a bit all over the place. I mean, what is the point of this entire series really other than to be just over-the-top crude and in your face offensive, especially when both sides are so unlikable throughout? Unless there is a point to this thing, the whole series kind of reminds me of that kid in your class growing up who was just an over-the-top offensive jerk for no apparent reason other than to be cool. Sure, his shock value is intriguing at first and catches your eye, but eventually he just gets tiring.

To the bolded: Not really. Honestly Homelander is the big bad IMO.

I think the them of The Boys is one that's a bit old and tired - power corrupts people. These people work for a big, corrupt corporation. If you want my honest comparison to The Boys, it'd be something more like Any Given Sunday. Sure, it's a sports movie. But it's mostly a movie about how everybody has some bit of power, those that are losing their grip on it are doing everything they can to hold on to it, and those that get it (Jamie Foxx) get corrupted by it.

The author of the comic also wrote Preacher, so that should give you an idea of what we're dealing with here.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
To the bolded: Not really. Honestly Homelander is the big bad IMO.

I think the them of The Boys is one that's a bit old and tired - power corrupts people. These people work for a big, corrupt corporation. If you want my honest comparison to The Boys, it'd be something more like Any Given Sunday. Sure, it's a sports movie. But it's mostly a movie about how everybody has some bit of power, those that are losing their grip on it are doing everything they can to hold on to it, and those that get it (Jamie Foxx) get corrupted by it.

The author of the comic also wrote Preacher, so that should give you an idea of what we're dealing with here.

That's definitely a big part of the show. I think this was represented well with characters like A-Train and Elizabeth Shue's character. I bet this will play out more with Starlight's character in S2.

I also like the spin that this show takes on the "with great power comes great responsibility" mantra. They completely spin that concept on it's head which really plays well with current events - you are only as bad as the media makes you out to be, but if you are owned by a media corporation (like The Seven is) then there is no moral compass to follow.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Might have been posted before but has anyone listened to Season 1 or 2 of Marvel's Wolverine podcast?

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

I just finished season one and loved it. It was like a season of X-Files in Alaska if Wolverine had been involved. Great stuff.

Probably will go right into season two and hope they do season 3 and other properties.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Marvel TV is officially no more (as of Tuesday). The studio will fold and any series currently on-air will not be renewed, and any series currently filming will finish production but will not be renewed either. Jeph Loeb is also leaving as well.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/marvel-tv-shut-down-layoffs-jeph-loeb-kevin-feige-1202805979/

This was more of a formal announcement as I think most knew this was coming. This does not impact the Disney+ series as they all fall under Marvel Studios, and all future Marvel series will also be part of Marvel Studios. This means the new series going forward will directly tie-in to events of the MCU, and vice-versa.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Might have been posted before but has anyone listened to Season 1 or 2 of Marvel's Wolverine podcast?

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

I just finished season one and loved it. It was like a season of X-Files in Alaska if Wolverine had been involved. Great stuff.

Probably will go right into season two and hope they do season 3 and other properties.

Season 2 is also very good. I honestly kind of like it better because there is a lot more Wolvie.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-me...released-will-be-his-original-version-a172457

Looks like Disney still plans on releasing Fox's The New Mutants movie in theaters, but with that, they surprisingly are turning back course from Fox and returning to director Josh Boone's original cut. This is kind of the reverse of what we saw with the debacle that was Justice League. Granted, it is a lot easier to do something like this when ownership in the company changes hand. Regardless, while this is a win for the director, there is nothing to guarantee the director's original cut is still any good. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...er-disney-actor-to-play-the-main-hero-a172478

Latest rumor is that Pedro Pascal is being considered to play Moon Knight. While he was great in The Mandalorian for what the role is, I still feel like I don't know too much about the guy to have much of an opinion either way, beings how you mostly don't see the guys face for the entire series. I thought his voice acting in the role was stellar if that means anything. I personally haven't seen him in much outside The Mandalorian. I guess I really liked him in Kingsman 2. Almost forgot about that one.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Not surprised. Disney is obviously trying to beef up their Disney+ streaming service as early as possible.
Exactly. Lots of people dropping now that the Mandalorian is done. Not much new content on there now.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
So for 2020 we have...

Black Widow - May 1st
Falcon and the Winter Soldier - August
Externals - November 6th
Wandavision - December?

Nice.

Copley305

Apr 10, 2006
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...er-disney-actor-to-play-the-main-hero-a172478

Latest rumor is that Pedro Pascal is being considered to play Moon Knight. While he was great in The Mandalorian for what the role is, I still feel like I don't know too much about the guy to have much of an opinion either way, beings how you mostly don't see the guys face for the entire series. I thought his voice acting in the role was stellar if that means anything. I personally haven't seen him in much outside The Mandalorian. I guess I really liked him in Kingsman 2. Almost forgot about that one.

He was really good in Game of Thrones, too.