Man on the Moon...?

Did we land a Man on the Moon July 20th 1969

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I believe this particular video is fake, but I believe we probably have gone to the moon at other times later on with advancements in technology...

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
This is patently false. Though I am curious to hear your reasoning.

I would get into it, but this isn't in the cave and I don't want to be that guy. I do find it laughable, however that people want to keep it non-political since NASA is a government agency, and the motivations for going to the moon were indeed political.

Reactions: LeSchmick

coachdags

Speechless
Bookie
Mar 30, 2006
N.Dakota
I would get into it, but this isn't in the cave and I don't want to be that guy. I do find it laughable, however that people want to keep it non-political since NASA is a government agency, and the motivations for going to the moon were indeed political.

I just do not want it to get into attacks on this party or that party.....

But you are right it was a motivated by our government that we go to and land on the Moon.....

and it would be ok to say if you believe we did not land on the Moon, that our government did lie to us...

We will allow a little rope on this disscussion since today is the 40 year anniversary....

Last edited:

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI

True, the motivation for the space race was highly political. However, I don't see why that necessitates the discussion about the plausibility of successfully reaching the moon in 1969 becoming political.

cytyler

Jan 24, 2009
Ankeny
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo"]YouTube - Dumb and Dumber - We Landed on the Moon![/ame]

Sorry, but you said you wanted it non-political.

P.S.: I think we did land on the moon. I don't know why people think that we didn't and why they care that much.

Last edited:

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I think faking real weightlessness in 1969 would have been incredibly easy. I mean computers were so advanced back then... take Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid for example..... the special effects were out of this world. jimlad

Reactions: Aclone

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
True, the motivation for the space race was highly political. However, I don't see why that necessitates the discussion about the plausibility of successfully reaching the moon in 1969 becoming political.

You just answered it. It was a highly political time. By being the first at something like this, would be a way the government could pat themselves on the back, and give it's citizens a sense of Patriotism.

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI
You just answered it. It was a highly political time. By being the first at something like this, would be a way the government could pat themselves on the back, and give it's citizens a sense of Patriotism.

But the fact that it was good for the country to make it to the moon is not proof that it didn't happen. It's not even vaguely suggestive it didn't happen. The fact is that the evidence says we went there. If you have evidence you find compelling that seems to show we didn't, I'm interested in talking that out. But just stating that winning the space race helped the government is not an argument.

pthebutcher

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 14, 2006
Portland
But the fact that it was good for the country to make it to the moon is not proof that it didn't happen. It's not even vaguely suggestive it didn't happen. The fact is that the evidence says we went there. If you have evidence you find compelling that seems to show we didn't, I'm interested in talking that out. But just stating that winning the space race helped the government is not an argument.

Thank you. The conclusions some people come to are quite shocking.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I LOVE a good tinfoil hat conspiracy, but those who believe we did not land on the moon are flat out nuts. I have yet to hear a good explanation for the mirrors that were put there that can still be used to measure the moons distance from the earth.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA

I'll admit it's hard to prove, and on this topic my goal is not to try to sway others what to believe. I will say that we either landed or orbited the moon, but the video was fake, or we didn't go at all.

It's just hard for me to believe that we flew a machine less powerful than a graphing calculator with 3 people on it, along with a video and audio feed, to capture the entire thing. If we had the technology to fly there, I'm not sure we had the technology to ensure the people on board could make it there safely.

Again, just my thoughts. My parents believed it happened, and they didn't influence me. It's not my life's mission to prove people wrong to convince them either way. There are issues more important that actually do effect me to worry about...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As a government bureaucrat for the last 28 1/2 years I can assure you that the concept of a government conspiracy of this magnitude is beyond laughable. You can't keep a secret in the government and especially not for 40 years!!! It's full of gossipers and complainers. Someone malcontent would have blown the secret long ago.

Case closed

Reactions: LeSchmick

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I'll admit it's hard to prove, and on this topic my goal is not to try to sway others what to believe. I will say that we either landed or orbited the moon, but the video was fake, or we didn't go at all.

It's just hard for me to believe that we flew a machine less powerful than a graphing calculator with 3 people on it, along with a video and audio feed, to capture the entire thing. If we had the technology to fly there, I'm not sure we had the technology to ensure the people on board could make it there safely.

Again, just my thoughts. My parents believed it happened, and they didn't influence me. It's not my life's mission to prove people wrong to convince them either way. There are issues more important that actually do effect me to worry about...

It's not at ALL hard for me to believe that we flew on a machine less powerful than a graphing calculator.

The space shuttle does it all the time, and it was only 10-15 years or so further along and vastly more complicated than Apollo when it was designed.

It's like saying "I can't believe we could browse the internet in 1992".

The physics behind it all are quite well established and not difficult to calculate by a special-purpose device. A device which has actually been re-built physically by enthusiasts, and modeled countless times in software. The majority of complexity in modern electronics is totally pointless for the sorts of calculations they were doing at the time. It's just there to ensure ease of use for general purpose computing and programming.

There is no technological reason it couldn't have happened. We were flying U2s by the 50s that had to deal with all the same life support issues the Apollo missions did.We designed the SR-71 and were flying it before Apollo as well. Audio is and was very simple, and the video wasn't much more complicated, especially in it's then-primitive state.

All of the technology could CLEARLY support us going there, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we did.

People continually underestimate the power of computation in the analog age. Our for-bearers were far, FAR more clever than we give them credit for. They did things with mechanical and analog circuits that we do today with digital ones, only far more efficiently and, quite often, more effectively.

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI

The problem with this is it's a huge logical fallacy (specifically, the argument from personal incredulity). However, just because you can't imagine or understand something doesn't mean it's not true. It truly was an amazing, Herculean effort. But just because the technology was less advanced doesn't mean it wasn't sufficient to pull it off. The construction of the pyramids (not to mention lining them up so that their faces face the four cardinal directions) would be a huge technological achievement today. The construction of Stonehenge included the transport and erection of stones that weighed 20-25 tons and was completed by roughly 2000 BC. These are incredible accomplishments, and we still don't know how they pulled off parts of it (as far as I know). But there they are (and no, the aliens didn't help them).
There's no problem viewing something as awe-inspiring as the moon loading with a healthy dose of skepticism, but after a careful review of the evidence, the conclusion is pretty clear. There's the existence of retroreflectors (the mirrors mentioned in an earlier post), the moon rocks and dust collected, the independent observations of other countries and agencies (the Russians specifically, who would have had the greatest motivation to prove the reality of a hoax), and the subsequent photos and videos of the landing site by NASA and other space agencies. In addition, there's the complete and thorough debunking of all of the theories espoused by the hoax proponents. It's all there as public record and easy to access.

Last edited: