Look ahead to possible lineup

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Going to be a good 3 years or longer to see some big strides in this program. We all should have known that, but it's still going to be tough to wait that long.

We're still in the "weeding out" the roster stage before we can really get to the "building it back up again" stage right now. It's going to take a while, so we'll have to be patient. That's another reason to RS guys like Carr, as long as he's ok with it. We're still going to be pretty bad next year, so why waste a year of Carr on a bad season.
I don't think you are giving these young guys enough credit. ISU will continue to fall behind the top teams if they don't wrestle elite guys who want to go right away - sounds like Carr might want to go right away. Guys who could be ranked in the top 20 early next year and be round of 12 or better: Gomez, Parker, Degen, Straw, Carr, Colbray. I am unsure about Mackall. Now, if Carr is at 57 I say shirt him. Straw is good and getting better. But this team will have the horsepower to run next year. The higher ISU finishes right away (next year, the year after) the better they can recruit and get top guys in sooner than later.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Simmons and Breitenbach aren't surprising, especially Simmons since he is good enough to start at a lot of schools but would be behind Gomez or Parker here. But Harrington is.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
If the rumor of Harrington being done is true, I hope Duggan comes in and tries to win the HWT spot this year. I was really impressed by him at state this year. Admittedly, I have not seen much of gremmel in action.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Simmons and Breitenbach aren't surprising, especially Simmons since he is good enough to start at a lot of schools but would be behind Gomez or Parker here. But Harrington is.

My thoughts too. I thought Harrington was finally buying in, and was in line for a great senior season.

azchief32

Dec 10, 2016
Don't forget that you guys have Hunter DeJong...from a small program but with lots of raw talent with a frame to add weight. Will surprise a few people IMO.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't forget that you guys have Hunter DeJong...from a small program but with lots of raw talent with a frame to add weight. Will surprise a few people IMO.

From what I’ve seen of him over the years and been told by someone close to the program, he’s a definite project. Will be a few years of hard work to get him ready.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I don't think you are giving these young guys enough credit. ISU will continue to fall behind the top teams if they don't wrestle elite guys who want to go right away - sounds like Carr might want to go right away. Guys who could be ranked in the top 20 early next year and be round of 12 or better: Gomez, Parker, Degen, Straw, Carr, Colbray. I am unsure about Mackall. Now, if Carr is at 57 I say shirt him. Straw is good and getting better. But this team will have the horsepower to run next year. The higher ISU finishes right away (next year, the year after) the better they can recruit and get top guys in sooner than later.

This would be freaking sweet but I'm afraid that is awfully optimistic for many of the guys you listed. That said, the latest round of defections doesn't bother me much. Would have liked to see Harrington stick it out but it will be great experience for someone else. Unfortunately, I don't think Gremmel is long for the program either.

If the rumor of Harrington being done is true, I hope Duggan comes in and tries to win the HWT spot this year. I was really impressed by him at state this year. Admittedly, I have not seen much of gremmel in action.

Duggan is a project expecially due to his size. I think he would get smoked pretty good next year in the lineup at HWT but does have promise down the road.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Simmons & Breitenbach removed from roster, but Harrington still on roster

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
any word on where they might go?

I've heard Breitenbach will probably just stay at Iowa State and finish up schooling. Wouldn't surprise me to see Simmons go to OU, but I also have no idea.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I've heard Breitenbach will probably just stay at Iowa State and finish up schooling. Wouldn't surprise me to see Simmons go to OU, but I also have no idea.

OU would be my guess for Simmons, but what does the Big 12 transfer rule allow?

Also, supposedly there are new & easier transfer rules being proposed and may be in place by June. Not sure how that plays into conference rules.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

Also, supposedly there are new & easier transfer rules being proposed and may be in place by June. Not sure how that plays into conference rules.
Would they be able to take advantage of those new rules or would they be refrained to the current set beings they are transferring now?

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
How much of Colbray's issues can be attributed to weight, and IF in fact Harrington is gone, does he consider bumping up to challenge Gremmel?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
How much of Colbray's issues can be attributed to weight, and IF in fact Harrington is gone, does he consider bumping up to challenge Gremmel?

Colbray isn't a huge 197 pounder. The staff actually thinks he could make 184, so I'm guessing staying at 197 is much more likely than him bumping up to HWT.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Colbray isn't a huge 197 pounder. The staff actually thinks he could make 184, so I'm guessing staying at 197 is much more likely than him bumping up to HWT.

Ok. I know he's thick but I didn't know if he struggled with weight. I always assumed his struggles were more mental than anything. It seemed like he was close to breaking through this year, so hopefully he can do it next year.

Reactions: stuclone

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Would they be able to take advantage of those new rules or would they be refrained to the current set beings they are transferring now?

Not sure if they would be in affect for everyone or new transfers. I am also not sure if NCAA rules will be above the Big 12 transfer rules. Currently, I don't think Simmons could transfer within the conference

Bam bam

Nov 10, 2017

Currently, can't it depend on whether or not the coach releases them? If the coach grants them a full release, can't they wrestle right away? I don't know, I am asking for clarification. I have heard Simmons struggles with grades too, so that might come into play also for him.