Line Changes when Newell Returns

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I'm a huge newell fan but Olson has played phenomenally at center.
Olson has also played winning football at guard. The OL didn’t start to click until he joined the starting lineup last year. He doesn’t get enough credit on these forums. Maybe some can’t get past the fact that he is a former walk-on.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I think Olsen has been good as well. It seems like we have our best offensive linemen inside. I have to eat crow a little bit about JGJ and Bryce Meeker as they have been playing a lot better as the year has gone on, but our inside has definitely been our strength. I feel our best 5 include Newell for sure, but don't think any combination of Newell, Olsen, Downing can play outside. I am also not sure if Knipfel can play outside either. I know the rule is play the best 5, but that is hard to do when some of our best 5 can't play certain positions.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bthomps01

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I still think that Olsen is the guy that plays well, but is not all that physical. He has been okay at snapping, but Purdy has also done a great job of corralling some not so great snaps.
One smacked him in the chest last week when he wasn't looking for the snap yet. Perfect snap though...

• Creative
Reactions: CyclonesRock

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
One smacked him in the chest last week when he wasn't looking for the snap yet. Perfect snap though...

There was at least one where Purdy one handed it clear to the right and still managed to complete the play. Olsen has had a challenging snap in almost every game. Maybe that is normal, but I still contend that Purdy has done a great job of catching the errant ones.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think Olsen has been good as well. It seems like we have our best offensive linemen inside. I have to eat crow a little bit about JGJ and Bryce Meeker as they have been playing a lot better as the year has gone on, but our inside has definitely been our strength. I feel our best 5 include Newell for sure, but don't think any combination of Newell, Olsen, Downing can play inside. I am also not sure if Knipfel can play outside either. I know the rule is play the best 5, but that is hard to do when some of our best 5 can't play certain positions.
If it helps your cogitation at all, CW said on a podcast a couple of weeks ago that Newell has the length to play tackle. I’d assume that would be left tackle, and I’d also assume that’s a nugget he picked up from a member of the staff somewhere.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
we also need to prepare for next year, when we can. lots of newbies on the line. I'll trust the process and we have never played so many 2nd & 3rd stringers or had the depth we have... however...

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Here's what the Register has for TT game Depth Chart. That said I'm not sure if this has been has been accurate in past weeks.

Left tackle: No. 51, Julian Good-Jones (6-5, 308, sr.)

Left guard: No. 63, Collin Olson (6-1, 290, sr.)

Center: No. 57, Colin Newell (6-4, 297, soph.)

Right guard: No. 66, Josh Knipfel (6-5, 205, sr.)

Right tackle: No. 74, Bryce Meeker (6-6, 305, sr.)

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Here's what the Register has for TT game Depth Chart. That said I'm not sure if this has been has been accurate in past weeks.

Left tackle: No. 51, Julian Good-Jones (6-5, 308, sr.)

Left guard: No. 63, Collin Olson (6-1, 290, sr.)

Center: No. 57, Colin Newell (6-4, 297, soph.)

Right guard: No. 66, Josh Knipfel (6-5, 205, sr.)

Right tackle: No. 74, Bryce Meeker (6-6, 305, sr.)

The depth chart said that last week too.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Last two weeks Olson has had snaps that could of caused turnovers. Might be time for Newell.
Doubt Downing goes back to the bench.

Ramos looked dominant. Thinking JGJ should get a look at RT.

Graduating 4 lineman normally causes a set back but both the RFR look like vets. I also thing Treiber and Hufford are going to push Foster and Hudson for the two remaining spots.

Reactions: Aclone

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Last two weeks Olson has had snaps that could of caused turnovers. Might be time for Newell.
Doubt Downing goes back to the bench.

Ramos looked dominant. Thinking JGJ should get a look at RT.

Graduating 4 lineman normally causes a set back but both the RFR look like vets. I also thing Treiber and Hufford are going to push Foster and Hudson for the two remaining spots.
Isn't Foster a senior?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When Downing went out for a play or two (Bruns said he needed his fingers taped), Schweiger came in, not Newell. Since Newell can also play both guard spots, guessing he’s not ready yet.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy