Liberty Bowl postgame thread

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Maybe the NCAA should just cancel bowl games and only have a 12 team tournament moving forward?
Seems that nobody cares, half the good players don't play.
or maybe they just have a 12 team playoff and then the rest of the teams are free to schedule a flag football game with another school that didn't make the playoffs at the destination of their choice allowing fans to come and cheer them on for a couple days.
Honestly seems very reasonable to me. It’s abundantly clear these are exhibitions that only exist to make companies/sponsors cash.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
Crappy game.

Couldn’t block or cover or tackle

Had a good time for
a few days in Memphis.

no one in my group got shot or mugged.

It’s a wash

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Love that the staff is actually using “we’re winning the Big12 and making the 12 team playoff” as a recruiting element. Never have recruited this way. Now we are (from what I understand) and we got boat raced by ******* Memphis.

Can’t make this **** up.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Ironically, at a time when bowl game mean less than ever to fans, they mean more than ever for the huge Portal season that coincides with it. We’re already struggling to pull in guys that are picking between North Dakota and us. Selling them on coming to Ames after showings like that get a lot more difficult.
True, but I like the talent from the underclassmen right now. This one game could impact the incoming transfer portal for this season only, but I don’t really know how much impact this would have. I don’t think a transfer portal athlete will only look at bowl game results to determine where they want to play the following year. If you were a transfer athlete, would you make your decision based on bowl games or how a school you feel you could make the biggest impact with?

I just don’t think this outcome will have any significant impact on the program

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
What do people expect from this program going forward? My expectations are 7+ wins each season with a 9+ win season every 4 or 5 years. This season’s team won 7 games while losing their starting QB, RB, TE, and OL right before the season started. The team showed growth during the year. They will only get bigger, faster, stronger for next year as the majority of the snap counts came from underclassmen.

I enjoyed watching this team. And I think they will be exciting to watch for the next couple years.
I expect great coaching, inspired play and solid execution.

None of which was apparent tonight or during several games this year.

Last edited:

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Love that the staff is actually using “we’re winning the Big12 and making the 12 team playoff” as a recruiting element. Never have recruited this way. Now we are (from what I understand) and we got boat raced by ******* Memphis.

Can’t make this **** up.
I like the term boat race too. It’s fun to say. But losing by less than 30 is not that…

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Probably an unpopular take in this thread, but I really wouldn’t object to the players going into this game just wanting to have fun…like a little vacation. Winning a bowl game like this obviously wouldn’t be bad, but it’s hard to convince me it really matters.
Hey, as long as they had fun on their tour of Sun Studios I'm totally fine with what happened on the field today.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
What do people expect from this program going forward? My expectations are 7+ wins each season with a 9+ win season every 4 or 5 years. This season’s team won 7 games while losing their starting QB, RB, TE, and OL right before the season started. The team showed growth during the year. They will only get bigger, faster, stronger for next year as the majority of the snap counts came from underclassmen.

I enjoyed watching this team. And I think they will be exciting to watch for the next couple years.
Your expectations match mine. I’ve always said that realistically there is a ceiling for what we can sustain year in and year out - and it’s around 7 with outliers above and below. But I expect that we’re losing those other games to P5 opponents or a G5 team having a Top 15 type year.

Memphis was without 3 OL, down several defenders, and had an interim DC. I have to expect being more competitive than we were today against such an opponent. The new Big 12 has a lot of parity and opportunities for us to have those great years every few seasons. But we have to start getting some momentum behind us.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Almost as embarrassing as the loss was CMC’s half time quote of them having an interim defensive coordinator so we couldn’t adequately prepare as we didn’t know what they would do. That’s a ******* pathetic excuse.…
Very disappointing to hear CMC admit he was out coached by an interim DC. That was the excuse for the first half. Did he have another pathetic take for scoring the same amount points in the second half?

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021

Knew team would make it a game. Becht’s future looks great.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Hey, as long as they had fun on their tour of Sound Studios I'm totally fine with what happened on the field today.
It’s mostly just fun for me to see them suit up one more time. Felt very different about the Fiesta Bowl. Even the Alamo Bowl to some degree. This one just doesn’t move the needle much.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
True, but I like the talent from the underclassmen right now. This one game could impact the incoming transfer portal for this season only, but I don’t really know how much impact this would have. I don’t think a transfer portal athlete will only look at bowl game results to determine where they want to play the following year. If you were a transfer athlete, would you make your decision based on bowl games or how a school you feel you could make the biggest impact with?

I just don’t think this outcome will have any significant impact on the program
Fair. I think a Portal guy is saying - where do I want to spend the last year or two of my career - at a team I cam compete with or a team that is going to be rebuilding the whole time.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Fair. I think a Portal guy is saying - where do I want to spend the last year or two of my career - at a team I cam compete with or a team that is going to be rebuilding the whole time.
I agree. I just don’t think someone can look at a mid level bowl game only to determine if the program will be rebuilding or compete for the next 1-2 years.

Yes, this outcome was disappointing. But I personally don’t think this game will have much, if any merit, on next year’s season.