Liberty Bowl postgame thread

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our fans will go to the n’th degree to defend our coaches like they are personal family members.

Coaches that didn’t attend Iowa State (or play sports for ISU), or grow up Iowa State fans, or pour the heart and soul into Cyclone athletics for decades. Coaches that were external hires that make a boatload of money to coach a college sports team.

Criticize ‘em at all and (correctly) point out their shortcomings, and/or express frustration of their coaching decisions, philosophy, player development, etc. = pitchforks. What a silly/sensitive fanbase we are, Cyclone Nation.

How do you know you're criticizing them correctly?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Our fans will go to the n’th degree to defend our coaches like they are personal family members.
We have a thread of Campbell replacement candidates.
The IA-ISU wrestling thread had a lot of people pissed at Dresser.
We've had countless "why isn't Omaha" playing threads.
We had threads discuss Fennelly's status after all the transfers.

There are a lot of critical threads out there.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I’ve seen a lot of posters—unable to actually defend Campbell at this point—openly say that we should just embrace mediocrity and expect nothing better than 7-5 seasons.

Didn’t realize I was posting on Campbell Fanatic.
Does it make you feel better to not be able to be happy with 7 wins? From my perspective it seems like you’re miserable and I’m pretty content with a good season that beat basically all preseason expectations. Is that the vibe you’re going for?

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
These guys play a competitive sport, nobody that’s competitive likes to lose. I never had fun while losing when I was in sports growing up.
Someone needs to explain to me how we’re so certain the players care about winning these bowl games, yet we know many professionals don’t care about their all-star games and I’ve not heard of a player mad about TJ Tampa and others for not playing.

I don’t doubt they would rather win than lose, but I don’t get the impression these lesser games are a leave it all out there type of deal.

Reactions: Cyhig

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
I’ve seen a lot of posters—unable to actually defend Campbell at this point—openly say that we should just embrace mediocrity and expect nothing better than 7-5 seasons.

Didn’t realize I was posting on Campbell Fanatic.
Are you actually an Iowa State fan or just a troll? You seem to do a way better job of beating up our coaches, fans, and players than supporting them…

Reactions: Cyhig and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Purdy didn’t develop (given his dad, I’m optimistic Rocco will)

WR development has been poor.

OL woefully bad

Defense definitely develops guys, that’s true.

This staff knows defense. They don’t know offense imo, just trying to follow a recipe
Lmao

Get informed or stfu

Purdy regressed here and developed bad habits
Progressed well? Lmao

He didn’t develop. It’s a big reason why he dropped on draft boards. It’s why he’s talked about how much he had to develop after Iowa St.
All you need to do is watch Purdy’s first and last games against Oklahoma to see that he regressed during his time here. It’s night and day.
You are both over the top. I listened to some of your slop after the Iowa, Ohio games. Now you are still at it? And are bringing Purdy into the mix now. Well done.

I can't wait until we get a few posts from you geniuses and paradoxical ISU fans about how Rocco is now going to go to hell as a QB? Don't let us down.

Are things perfect as an ISU fan? No. Do I have to listen to folks like you? Again NO. Although amusing, it is getting pretty damn old.

Reactions: AlCyJim

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's a corn dog, some regional branding that uses a similar but slightly different batter doesn't mean it's not a corn dog. We don't call Detroit style pizza "burnt ass pie" we call it pizza.
Remind me to avoid Detroit pizza.

• Haha
Reactions: CyclonesRock

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You are both over the top. I listened to some of your slop after the Iowa, Ohio games. Now you are still at it? And are bringing Purdy into the mix now. Well done.

I can't wait until we get a few posts from you geniuses and paradoxical ISU fans about how Rocco is now going to go to hell as a QB? Don't let us down.

Are things perfect as an ISU fan? No. Do I have to listen to folks like you? Again NO. Although amusing, it is getting pretty damn old.

I get it, you can’t provide a rebuttal so you’re a little ***** instead.

Go ahead, put your earmuffs on.

The staff has had the same issues for 8 seasons. It had prevent true breakthrough success.

As I said after the Ohio games, just more of the same. That proved to be correct. There is no point in discussing that with idiots like yourself, who aren’t capable of not resorting to strawmans or red herrings

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022

The staff has had the same issues for 8 seasons. It had prevent true breakthrough success.

As I said after the Ohio games, just more of the same. That proved to be correct. There is no point in discussing that with idiots like yourself, who aren’t capable of not resorting to strawmans or red herrings
I would encourage you to create bar graphs of both wins and bowl appearances for the history of ISU football…and tell me if you see a segment of our history that looks different from the others.

Reactions: t-noah

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Rebuttal? Is that what you want at this point? How many would you like? For every one of your relentlessly negative posts, am I to now give you a positive?

And I don't recall calling you or others 'idiots' either. Yet because I or we do not see the same things as you, we are all idiots? You're losing me Bob.

You make a few good points at times, but persist with incessant posts that focus on the negative. What is your point at this point?

Back it up some, be more respectful of us fans, and the current coaches, and you will likely get better mileage.

Edit: And I don't expect you to be respectful of the current coaching staff, what they have or have not accomplished. Don't expect you to not be critical, just not to do it all the damn time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSpinning

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
OK honest question...who would you rather have Matt Campbell for 4 million or Ryan Silverfield for 1.75 million?

College​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Memphis Tigers (American Athletic Conference) (2019–present)
2019Memphis0–10–0L Cotton1717
2020Memphis8–35–3T–3rdW Montgomery
2021Memphis6–63–5T–7thNC Hawaii
2022Memphis7–63–5T–8thW First Responder
2023Memphis10–36–24thWLiberty
Memphis:31–1917–15
Total:31–19
Matt Campbell.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
OK honest question...who would you rather have Matt Campbell for 4 million or Ryan Silverfield for 1.75 million?

College​

Campbell - and the dollars don’t matter. Not saying Silverfield isn’t a fine coach for Memphis though. I hadn’t heard of him until Friday. I appreciate what Campbell has done and he’s well-regarded across the football landscape.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Yeah, you know Randy. The difference between our football program and the elites is the fact that they have the ability and the coaching acumen to make changes when things don’t work, we do not - CMC

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017

College​

Cambell in a heartbeat. Memphis is barely above .500 in conference play.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron