Liberty Bowl postgame thread

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I love this coaching staff (for the most part) but why is it when they’re given extra time to prepare for games that they somehow get worse?

They were totally unprepared for anything Memphis threw at them. And for godsakes stop running the ball up the middle when it’s clearly not working!

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
giphy.gif
Off topic but a really good, underrated movie.

• Agree
Reactions: ICCYFAN

Jeh

Dec 16, 2013
I don't think Campbell is cerebral enough to take this team much higher. He seems to overestimate the similarity of football coaching to investing, where making reactionary adjustments instead of sticking to a particular long-term plan can work against you. That's just my subjective impression though. Maybe the actual data indicate he's coaching well.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So how do we, as message board posters, manifest a national championship? Do we just all make really negative posts after losses and the team/coaches will feel that and play better?

Dec 12, 2020
Not being prepared, and caring less were the two aspects of yesterday’s game that was the most surprising and upsetting, IMHO.
Agree with all of this but would add we have VERY average players at best.....
Glad they made it to a bowl this year.....Can't wait for next season....GO STATE!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This is a geat observation. It's unnecessary stubbornness to accept and adapt to the fact that a "lesser" opponent can develop a successful game plan to counteract what Campbell is trying to do. IMO, unless Campbell can shed this overly-rigid perspective and become a better dynamic gametime strategist, his normal ceiling will be 7-8 wins, and when things cycle down, it will be like last year...and things will cycle down. Now go contrast this to the cycles that Gundy goes through OkSU.
We scoreboard watch

But not the good kind that limits mistakes and runs clock when advantageous

It would be acceptable to be so dogmatic about ball control strategy…if CMC was good at it. He’s not. We’re bad at such details and we generally need to open things up against most teams

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Hopefully CMC is embarrassed that he got destroyed by Scates and Jeff Myers…. but I doubt it. Winning doesn’t matter to him…. as long as we learned our lesson and we continue to improve from this.
I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but this is an incredible endorsement of Campbell. He has the highest winning percentage in like the last 100 years of Iowa State football, and he did it without even caring if he won any games. That's borderline miraculous.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I think some people think they're actually on the team. Imagine being embarrassed because a team I'm not a part of didn't play well in a game that doesn't matter, lol. Get lives, people.
I mean the game does partially matter. It can definitely propel you into the next season and potential transfers will also look at that stuff.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Hey, nobody had to eat a giant Pop-Tart at the end.

That's a win in anybody's book.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The people who I feel for the most are the ones who spent the money to go there. Saw basically 0 people online talking about having a good time, weather looked like it sucked, and most traveled a lot of hours for a team who acted like they didnt even want to be there for the most part. Gross

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but this is an incredible endorsement of Campbell. He has the highest winning percentage in like the last 100 years of Iowa State football, and he did it without even caring if he won any games. That's borderline miraculous.
Let's be honest, having the highest winning percentage in the last century of football at ISU is sort of like being the 100 meter dash champion at fat camp.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
To anyone that thinks bowl games are meaningless (which I agree they all are, except the playoff games), and therefore our players didn’t really give a s**t…. if that’s truly the case, then we have a huge issue.

I don’t care how “meaningless” a game might be considered by others…. if you’re a competitive athlete…. you ALWAYS want to win every game and beat the opponent across from you. And if you don’t…. you shouldn’t be playing. Go take a seat on the bench.

For our guys on the OL yesterday, they should feel like crap today, and embarrassed. You each individually got manhandled by the guy across from you all day, and you never fought back. You showed no pride for yourself or your teammates and fans.

So spare me ANY talk of our guys not caring about certain games during a season. If you’re competitive, you want to win and dominate every time you compete. And if not…. why are the coaches playing you?

Brendan Black is the only OL out there that I think truly wants to destroy his opponent every game. We need 5 of him on that OL out there.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron