PODCAST: Legends Episode: Dan McCarney

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Phenomenal. I had goosebumps like 3 different times. Hope you guys enjoy on the bye weekend.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My freshman year was 2000, and I remember making an extremely long drive to Phoenix to watch that first bowl game. A lot of fond memories of Mac and his teams. Hearing him talk about some of the people along the way got me a little misty.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I remember in 1995, there was a radio station in Ames giving away free tickets to the ISU-Ohio game 3 times a day for a couple weeks plus you could come to their free tailgate. You had to be like the 7th caller or something. I was callers 1, 2, and 3. On that third call the guy just gave me the tickets. That Ohio game was a blast seeing ISU win. Definitely a different age of ISU football though. I remember the year before being so happy when ISU tied OSU to not lose every game.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It’s kinda cute hearing you guys refer to the “modern era”. Your definition is essentially “what’s contemporary with me”.

Not correct, but still cute. I suggest picking a different term.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Listening to his enthusiasm reminds me of my conversations with Johnny in the mid-Nineties. You never know what nugget of pure gold was going to pop out.

The other thing you guys might not have caught (as I listen) is how depleted the team talent level was.

When Earle Bruce left, the roster was fully stocked, and Donnie Duncan basically signed everyone on the list Bruce left for him. But the program flattened out, and then Criner murdered it.

When Walden was hired, there wasn’t much talent left. And even worse for him, his arrival coincided with the first scholarship limits. IIRC, thought he was going to be able to restock the program in a hurry, and that wasn’t possible.

I had a contact in the program at the time. What he told me later was that “something broke” in Jim Walden. It was just too much of an uphill battle.

I’ve followed recruiting for over forty years. When Walden took over, there was only a handful of D-I caliber players on the roster. When Mac was hired, I remember counting between twenty and thirty—probably the lower end of that range. Of course, Troy Davis was one of those.

Oh, and when Mac was hired, he got hit by the next round of scholarship reductions.

So yeah, that’s another facet of where the program was, and what Mac overcame.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That was so goddamned enjoyable.

Thanks for putting that together so quickly, you two just had the idea to do it last week or so.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
Coach started a new culture of ISU football. It's too bad he couldn't get it over the hump to a consistent winner. But, I think he brought excitement to football that was lacking before. Thanks Coach Mac.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
And getting choked up about Coach Fennelly. Im on the part where he’s reliving the 05 season.

“A tornado came through and our fans just went back to the lots and drank some more!”

Reactions: ScottyP