Lawn Mower - Reviews

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Assuming you're talking about a gas powered mower I'd look for one with a kohler engine instead of a briggs. The last couple of briggs engines I've had have been problematic. Battery powered I think either going with an Ego or one that is compatible with your other cordless tools would be the way to go.

Reactions: mfl3cy

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Assuming you're talking about a gas powered mower I'd look for one with a kohler engine instead of a briggs. The last couple of briggs engines I've had have been problematic. Battery powered I think either going with an Ego or one that is compatible with your other cordless tools would be the way to go.
Skip both of ice engine options those and go for a toro txp "chonda" engine or a Honda engine.

mfl3cy

Sep 9, 2021
Pleasant Hill
Had a Honda. That was a tank. It was 13 yrs old, and I decided to upgrade. Sold it to my neighbor for a case of beer, he uses it at his cabin. I have a Makita electric mower now. Rebate came with a blower, and was quite cheap. I have some Makita cordless power tools, so I stayed in brand for the batteries. I go thru a lot of batteries, but I have a hilly yard and it takes almost an hour to mow. Would not recommend electric unless you have a smaller flat yard, or you already have a number of same brand batteries. Pros - cuts good and is very quiet. I don't have to wear earplugs and now I put in my earbuds. I also don't smell like exhaust when done. Cons: Goes thru a lot of batteries. Probably should have gone with 40v/80v for the power, but my tools use the 18v/36v batteries. Blower is okay, but after I edge, or if grass is wet I use my Stihl blower.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just bought a Toro Timemaster this spring and so far I love it. 30" deck has significantly cut down my mowing time. I know there are some bad reviews on it but have a friend that has had one several years and not had any of the issues some had with it. Probably a lot to do with how you maintain it and not over-working it too I bet. As some have already said the personal pace feature is great.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I bought one of the EGO electric self propelled mower. Only had it two summers but it’s been great so far. I couldn’t talk about the longevity, but it’s surprisingly convenient and easy. It’s also a lot lighter than the gas mowers I’ve used in the past.
Neighbor had an electric mower. That didn't seem to last long bc it wouldn't cut the grass very well and then he ended up getting a gas powered one.

Reactions: wgleason

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Got a troy-built from menards not long ago. We've used it a couple times. It's self-propelled and works nicely. That's what we had before and it lasted awhile. Wheels were getting bare, was missing a bolt on the handles so we decided to get a new one.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Bought a Ryobi 40v push when our sod was new and I still use it on my front yard, ride the back. But it works amazing. Absolutely zero complaints.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I've had Toro self-paced & love it. The biggest thing for me is front wheel drive which makes turns so much easier, just raise front end & spin around. Rear wheel I've used had to release the drive to do turns, no thanks

Reactions: VeloClone and Gonzo

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I’m on my third summer with a Greenworks 80v. I’m not sure why anyone with under a quarter acre would bother with gas. I’ve got slopes and 66 years under my belt and the lighter weight and nearly no maintenance is well worth it.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
My SiL has one of those and I've used it on her yard, works well. Not sure it'd be the best for me, my lot is a little over 1/3 of an acre with some decent slopes on both sides of the house, not sure if it'd get everything done in one charge or how well it would handle the hills.
If you go electric, it would probably be wise to buy an extra battery for that purpose. I love my Ego, works great and almost no maintenance.

Reactions: Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Neighbor had an electric mower. That didn't seem to last long bc it wouldn't cut the grass very well and then he ended up getting a gas powered one.
I mow my neighbors with his E-Go electric mower. Yes it is lighter than a gas mower but it absolutely sucks. Does not have the RPMs and torque like my Toro does. When it comes to mulching grass and leaves the E-Go just sucks the battery power. Went to mow his yard yesterday and the charge went to 3 bars in less than 10 minutes. Couldn’t even get 1/3rd of his yard done. Usually only takes 3 bars to do his yard. I’m a gas mower man for life!

• Agree
Reactions: wgleason

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I use an Ego, non self propelled at my house in washington. I ended up bagging instead of mulching because it just wasn't cutting very well. I'm thinking the blades need to be sharpened, but this was right out of the box. That said, it was great for the postage stamp of a yard I had. I did invest in the ego battery system (especially since Amazon screwed up and sent me a second strong trimmer with a 5 Amp-Hr Battery).

Place I'm renting up in the UP of michigan currently I ended up buying a Toro self propelled (RWD) from Tractor supply. Cuts well, runs well. Don't really need the self propelled but it makes it a lot easier even on my flat lawn.

I will say that the deck geometry on the electric with the plastic deck took getting used to. I found my self having to change my overlaps more to make sure I got a good cut.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Need to get a new self-propelled walk behind lawn mower, my old Craftsman has bit the dust. Am looking into Cub Cadet, Troy-Built, DeWalt, a few others but am wondering if there are any positive reviews or brands to avoid based on personal experiences? TIA

Honda has treated me well. I don’t mow but my kids do. Always starts 1st pull and it’s 8 years old. They have had mowing jobs with it for years and beat the hell out of it. Always has done amazing

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I have never had an electric. However, if you go gas, I would recommend a Toro Personal Pace or Honda HRX. I had two Toros and they were awesome. Decided to upgrade to the Honda a couple of years ago. While the Honda might be slightly better, I am not sure it justifies the difference in price, which is $200-$300.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Does the Toro have a side discharge for mulching instead of bagging the clippings? The ones I've looked at online don't look like they do.
It is at attachment that clips on where the bag goes in the rear, so it's more of a rear discharge than a side discharge. When you register your mower online they send it to you for free. Kind of a stupid gimmick to get people to give them their information.

Reactions: herbicide

Cydaddy

Aug 20, 2012
Depending on the size of the yard I would consider electric. I have a Honda gas SP which is awesome, but it doesn't have a cup holder like my JD rider. Just use the Honda for trimming from time to time.