Last Place Free Throw Defense

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
I was looking at some stats and noticed that we are literally the worst team in the country at free throw defense by percentage. Last year we were 326/351, and this year we are 351/351. Our student section needs to step up their game!

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I was looking at some stats and noticed that we are literally the worst team in the country at free throw defense by percentage. Last year we were 326/351, and this year we are 351/351. Our student section needs to step up their game!

Curtain of distraction...

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Maybe it's because cyclone alley swings their stupid little wave board 2 seconds after the ball leaves the shooters hand.

Time to implement the curtain if distraction?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It's crazy that a top arena has a team with two seasons like that.

It's pure luck. KenPom needs to factor that into his Luck statistic.

It does seem like teams go off for 80% and even 90% games on us with regularity. If a team only shoots 70% I feel like it's a huge break when it's actually pretty normal or even pretty good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can we use this horrible stat as a way to ban the "you're shooting a greasy bowling ball" chant from the band? I'm two time zones away now and I still hear that crap through the TV broadcast.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Band chants need work. They arent hilariously ironic anymore. Whatever happened to the classics like "the ball is a rubber chicken" or "the ball is bigger than the hoop"????

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Band chants need work. They arent hilariously ironic anymore. Whatever happened to the classics like "the ball is a rubber chicken" or "the ball is bigger than the hoop"????

vs KSU "your Mom was a wildcat last night!"

one jack@$$ student screaming something weird like that >>> idiot band chants about greasy bowling balls

I've seen that particular one work, had KSU players laughing it up.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Atleast one band member has to frequent this forum. And to that band member I say, your chants suck.

Former band member- i agree. The chants had basically died while i was there (03-07) but it seems like they came back strong when the current band director, an alum from the 90s, came on board. Theyre turrible.

Also, we need to be searching the transfer or juco market for a better drummer, there is a constant issue there this season.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Said it once and will say it again, if you can hear ~40 bandies chanting stupid **** during a free throw, maybe you should blame the other 13,000 people for not being nearly loud enough during free throws...

Spam

May 21, 2008
Said it once and will say it again, if you can hear ~40 bandies chanting stupid **** during a free throw, maybe you should blame the other 13,000 people for not being nearly loud enough during free throws...

sometimes we do cheer AFTER the opposition misses the FT...on those rare occasions.

But seriously, I'm sure Hilton is louder during opposition FTs, than say the Tech arena is. Not sure how to explain this stat- not when it happens two years in a row.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Can we use this horrible stat as a way to ban the "you're shooting a greasy bowling ball" chant from the band? I'm two time zones away now and I still hear that crap through the TV broadcast.
Did you know that TV broadcasts can actually travel even more than 2 time zones? Fun fact.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I'd like to think that a drummer absolutely going off out of sync and the band playing really terribly out of tune would be a distraction. Just make as much noise as possible. Is that legal?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Notice that we are 2nd in the nation in FTA/FGA. We allow an extremely low amount of FTs. I'd guess we don't foul bigs anywhere near as much as other teams, and our opponents play more guards to matchup to our lineups. That is my best explanation. Guards shooting leads to better percentages. Then add bigs shooting a little ahead of their normal averages and all of a sudden you're 351-351.

Hopefully we're due for some regression to the mean.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Notice that we are 2nd in the nation in FTA/FGA. We allow an extremely low amount of FTs. I'd guess we don't foul bigs anywhere near as much as other teams, and our opponents play more guards to matchup to our lineups. That is my best explanation. Guards shooting leads to better percentages. Then add bigs shooting a little ahead of their normal averages and all of a sudden you're 351-351.

Hopefully we're due for some regression to the mean.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198909&highlight=free+throw+defense