Last Chance U - Netflix Documentary

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
It's Mississippi which has one of the highest illiteracy rates and is the lowest median income state in the country. Many are coming from rural areas where education is not pushed and the only thing they are praised for is their athletic ability. Of course they are going to be less than thrilled about class.
Always fun when they have to add English subtitles for someone speaking English.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Disagree. You aren't going to get the same type of personality in Iowa or Kansas as you are from the Deep South. Personalities like Ollies made the show. Plus the academic advisor really helped the success of the show. Not likely that IWCC and Butler has the same type of counselor

I think you guys are overestimating the effect of the region. The counselor has more to do with college football culture than it does Southern culture (although there was a Blind Side feel to it).

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Any chance Buddy looking like an ass hurts him for recruiting though? The Buddy at the very end visiting with recruits, is very different than the Buddy coaching these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Any chance Buddy looking like an ass hurts him for recruiting though? The Buddy at the very end visiting with recruits, is very different than the Buddy coaching these guys.

The OC is officially the head coach in waiting. I'm guessing the brawl put Buddy on thin ice and the Netflix doc wasn't very flattering either. He likely knew he had to go soon.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
The Councilor had a poor complexion in HD, may need to get that fixed for season 2...Yes I know I'm going to hell.
I think anyone's complexion would struggle with all the stress that goes along with that job. There were so many times I was watching where I just wanted her to say, "what the hell did you just say?". I applaud what she does for that program, cause god knows a lot of us wouldn't be able to

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I can't say that I disagree with his comments about it being a thug thing (on both sides) but he certainly has to look in the mirror.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I can't say that I disagree with his comments about it being a thug thing (on both sides) but he certainly has to look in the mirror.

I think the main issue is a white dude who has been suspended for getting in a fight with a ref, calling his team of mostly African Americans thugs didnt sit well with his players, which i dont blame them. That coach is a piece of work.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Buddy is lucky none of those "thugs" are actually thugs or he would have regretted running his mouth. Can't believe he kept it going as long ad he did. I would think he would realize how ridiculously hypocritical he was being almost immediately but apparently he's that much of an egomaniac that it didn't even register.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I just finished the series last night and I gotta say it was an eye opener into football recruiting. It was so interesting to see those assistant coaches ask the EMCC coaches how xxx_players character is and the academic advisor if they were going to make grades. What a roll of the dice with offering a scholarship to any of those players.

Overall, the series was beautifully shot and definitely had a Hard Knocks vibe to it as far as how they edited the story.

I think one of the most poignant moments was episode 5 (if memory serves) where Ronald Ollie's English teacher was helping him understand the irony in a story she'd assigned the class. In it she gives the example of a husband should protect his wife, when Ollie's father murdered his mother. I wonder if that even went through Ronald's mind at the time.

Awesome show. Looking forward to season two.