Last Chance U - Netflix Documentary

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Ok but if they hadnt continued to run up the score they would have played in the Mississippi juco state playoffs. That two more games to prove themselves for a spot in the national championship game. But buddy got greedy and the team getting destroyed had enough of it.
I mean, the other team jumped a MSCC manager in warmups. Not exactly out of the realm of possibility to imagine another play later in the game would result in the same situation.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
He addressed that. When they lost they dropped in the polls. The polls have margin of victory as part of ranking considerations. " So he needs as many points as possibls to get back into the top 2.

He also said he wanted Auburn to see that QB as much as possible. Most likely he wasnted to appease his ego and embarass a coach he hated as much as possible.

Felt bad for their players, they were put in an impossible position and paid the price. Neither HC's or the ref went very far out of their way to get ahold of the situation.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
She allowed her office to be the hangout for all the players to bad mouth the school, coaches, town of Scooba, etc. and then she wasn't taken seriously in an authoritative role when tracking down players to get them to class or do work. I understand if kids need someone to talk to (especially the Ronald Ollie kid) but she kind of fed into the game a little too much in my opinion.

I disagree because I think that if she doesn't have that personal relationship with those guys she'd be a lot less effective at her job. The coaches are there to play the authoritative role.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Just finished watching the series. Wow is that coach a piece-of-work. One moment fighting refs and other coaches, cursing like crazy and the next moment he's reading scripture.

Also saw this tweet today:

Last edited:
Reactions: no2cyclones

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Was not impressed with the coach at all.

It was an interesting look at that culture. It's similar to many D1 freshman, who are absolutely convinced they're going to the NFL. Plenty of immaturity, but they are young. I think it's a little harsh to judge them on their "entitlement." There's a lot of pressure and ego-stroking going on back home.

Fun fact I'm sure some of you noticed: Their main rival, Co-Lin, produced Tim Dobbins, Demond Tucker and Jordan Harris.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
In episode 4, they were referencing the best RB in their conference that they were going to play, Justin Stewart. He's at WVU this year.

• Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Nice hopefully they make it longer than 6 episodes

I was surprised it was only 6 episodes. It seemed the first season spent a lot of time on the early season, then fast forwarded through the backhalf of the season. Not sure if the plan was to have episodes on their playoff run and then the fight ended their season,

My biggest pet peave were the scenes where kids would be in the academic advisors office. She was trying to prep them for a class, give advice or just attempt to get to know them better, but their heads were buried in their cell phones.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I was surprised it was only 6 episodes. It seemed the first season spent a lot of time on the early season, then fast forwarded through the backhalf of the season. Not sure if the plan was to have episodes on their playoff run and then the fight ended their season,

My biggest pet peave were the scenes where kids would be in the academic advisors office. She was trying to prep them for a class, give advice or just attempt to get to know them better, but their heads were buried in their cell phones.

Welcome to D1 athletics especially with kids that are not engaged or are just there to play ball.

I have to admit I wondered how many of them have hit on her.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016

There's a reason most of those guys are at the juco level. They don't give a **** about school. They're only there to play football

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
It's Mississippi which has one of the highest illiteracy rates and is the lowest median income state in the country. Many are coming from rural areas where education is not pushed and the only thing they are praised for is their athletic ability. Of course they are going to be less than thrilled about class.

Reactions: timhisu

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The head coach must really like his truck cold. I noticed he had the air down to 60.

#HotTake

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
IMO it would be better if they did this instead of going back to the same place again. Maybe hit up IWCC or Butler CC. Butler has an indoor facility.
Disagree. You aren't going to get the same type of personality in Iowa or Kansas as you are from the Deep South. Personalities like Ollies made the show. Plus the academic advisor really helped the success of the show. Not likely that IWCC and Butler has the same type of counselor

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Disagree. You aren't going to get the same type of personality in Iowa or Kansas as you are from the Deep South. Personalities like Ollies made the show. Plus the academic advisor really helped the success of the show. Not likely that IWCC and Butler has the same type of counselor

That is a good point. They are all there to a certain extent. Hell they are there in Ames.