Kimchi

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Believe it or not, but Lawton, OK actually has a really good Japanese/Korean restaurant. Really liked the "Korean sushi rolls" (don't know the word for it) that they had there.

I’ve had these from my in law fam homemade and also can’t remember name, they don’t typically have fish or at least not what I had.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
yeah, the ones I had had bulgogi in it (I think)
Don't ask. Don't tell! / sarcasm

When I lived in Korea, I loved both Korean and Chinese eggrolls from the local shop. Just don't ask too many questions. Loved me some bulgogi too.

No thanks on the kimchi though. My people left Germany because of the sauerkraut, and Kimchi is just a fermented cabbage too far for me.

Love me some Korea and Koreans though, and I do understand how important it is to their culture, which is fine.

Last edited:

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Believe it or not, but Lawton, OK actually has a really good Japanese/Korean restaurant. Really liked the "Korean sushi rolls" (don't know the word for it) that they had there.
Gimbap (or Kimbap), and usually doesn't include any uncooked fish like actual sushi.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Everytime I hear kimchi i think of the MASH episode were Hawkeye tells Frank, " good lord man you struck coleslaw ".

Last edited:

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I've been to South Korea. Had kimchi at every meal. Every single one was wildly different. And all awesome.

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
My son married a Korean girl and her mother stayed with us for a month one summer. One afternoon she decided to make about 5 gallons of kimchi. After the kimchi fermented, she stored the kimchi in my beer refrigerator. The refrigerator was never the same and reeked of kimchi until I eventually got rid of it. To make matters worse, the kimchi stench permeated all my canned beer.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
+1 on the bulgogi mentions. I know it’s entry level Korean for white boys like me with unsophisticated but, man, it is really good. I’ve been doing it on the grill regularly during the summer and it never disappoints. Although you’ve got to be quick on the flipping because the thin cuts get cooked fast.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I just bought my first and only batch from Costco. How do you guys eat this stuff? I feel like I'm eating something from fear factor.
There used to by a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant in my town that was run by this Vietnamese couple in their late 60s/70s. It was just a small hole in the wall with maybe 10 small tables. For some reason, this couple took a shine to me, especially the old woman who was the cook. She often made her whole family supper at the restaurant and it was always something that wasn't on their menu.

I used to eat there two times a week because it was close to my work and she would often hook me up with samples of some of the dishes she made for her family and Kimchi was on the menu quite often. If you ever tasted her Kimchi, you would never ask what the big deal was about it. She also made a fabulous Papaya salad, some kind of scrumptious fried chicken dish and a lot of desert breads, along with other dishes.

When the couple retired and moved to Texas, they held a big going away party at the restaurant and invited me. They served a bunch of these dishes that were not on their menu. It was a great time. I got him a fishing hat for his retirement and her a cast iron skillet to keep him in line. The skillet had a note in it -- something about hitting him over the head with it -- but I forget exactly what it said.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm team kimchi as a good side on its own. But I also just like cabbage in general.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What the hell is that game?

StarCraft: Brood War

A 1998 RTS game that still has a highly-active and competitive pro gaming scene in South Korea. It was the first e-sport and is still the most interesting strategic computer game of all time.

Starcraft. It's a waste of your life but very fun. Funny enough South Korea is known for Starcraft players.

As Napoleon said about being in a saddle, a moment playing Brood War is never wasted.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
StarCraft: Brood War

A 1998 RTS game that still has a highly-active and competitive pro gaming scene in South Korea. It was the first e-sport and is still the most interesting strategic computer game of all time.

As Napoleon said about being in a saddle, a moment playing Brood War is never wasted.
I play more Dota now.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
Spent 4 months in Korea and practically ate it at every meal. At first I was meh about it but now I consistently have a jar of it in my fridge. One of the "superfoods" of the world.

Still don't know how Korean BBQ hasn't become a hit in the midwest. It's a better hibachi and Iowans would eat it up.