NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
They spend money on the defense, it's just terrible moves.

$100M for Frank Clark? Anthony Hitchens was a terrible signing, especially what they paid him. Tyrann Mathieu is probably over-paid too but he's worth it at least.

Then turn around and refuse to pay Chris Jones so far. WTF? I bet they franchise tag and trade him this summer.

Veach's refusal to go out and get a #1 CB is really hurting us. Tom Brady doesn't give a damn about the opponent's pass rush. Houston, Jones and Ford couldn't touch him in the playoffs because he gets rid of the ball so fast. He'll torch the decent-at-best CBs we put out there.

So you don’t like they aren’t paying Chris Jones but Brady doesn’t care about Chris Jones. Which is it?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
So you don’t like they aren’t paying Chris Jones but Brady doesn’t care about Chris Jones. Which is it?
Both.

I would have not traded for Clark and kept the 2019 1st round pick. He absolutely has not been worth $100M so far. Drafted a #1 DB or traded for a #1 DB instead.

Should have paid Jones. Still not sure why we haven't. We have over $20M in cap space available for this year right now. Front load the hell out of a deal for him.

Pay who got you there (Jones) and keep your assets to get a better CB to stop Brady.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Both.

I would have not traded for Clark and kept the 2019 1st round pick. He absolutely has not been worth $100M so far. Drafted a #1 DB or traded for a #1 DB instead.

Should have paid Jones. Still not sure why we haven't. We have over $20M in cap space available for this year right now. Front load the hell out of a deal for him.

Pay who got you there (Jones) and keep your assets to get a better CB to stop Brady.

Clark has also been hurt nearly the entire time - not sure when he got hurt. I’d like to see him healthy.

the CB’s have actually been pretty good and the advanced stats suggest so. Some better scheming and I think the defense could actually be good. Get healthy too.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Clark has also been hurt nearly the entire time - not sure when he got hurt. I’d like to see him healthy.

the CB’s have actually been pretty good and the advanced stats suggest so. Some better scheming and I think the defense could actually be good. Get healthy too.

I agree. I don't think the back end is horrible. Thornhill and Mathieu are good safeties. Get Fuller back in the lineup and he Ward and Claiborne are serviceable. Breeland is a walking yellow flag.

It is the slow linebackers that are the weak link on the D (once the DL is healthy). Jones made them look like clowns.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Reid and the offense is not the problem. The front office has neglected giving them an even middle of the pack defense so the only way the Chiefs can win is to win in a shootout. The offense is just fine, they've scored the 2nd most total points in the NFL this season and 3rd most total yards so they are moving the ball and ending a lot of drives with points. The defense is a completely different story... They give up the 9th most total yards in the league and give up an average of 22.6 points a game which if you look where that puts them amongst playoff contenders it's basically one of the worst defenses amongst teams likely to make the playoffs.
The pass defense has been better this year, it's the run defense that is killing them. They have to have the worst set of linebackers in the NFL. When Ben Niemann is getting playing time, you know you have problems. Ragland and Hitchens can't play in pass coverage, they are basically platooning linebackers in and out predicting run or pass.

I agree about the linebackers. Ragland and Hitchens are garbage and they overpaid for them. It is so sad to watch teams with a good running game just milk clock and run it up the guy on the Chiefs this year. The Colts exposed it and basically showed the league how to beat the Chiefs.

Ragland got ran down by an offensive lineman the other year that any other LB would have run back for a pick 6

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Health is a concern right now but if they're all healthy by playoff time then it doesn't really matter. I want home field advantage but we actually aren't good at home this year.

The Vikings are coming into KC almost entirely healthy while the Chiefs injury report has like $30M+ salary cap dollars on it and that's not even including Sammy Watkins ridiculous $19M cap hit.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Reid and the offense is not the problem. The front office has neglected giving them an even middle of the pack defense so the only way the Chiefs can win is to win in a shootout. The offense is just fine, they've scored the 2nd most total points in the NFL this season and 3rd most total yards so they are moving the ball and ending a lot of drives with points. The defense is a completely different story... They give up the 9th most total yards in the league, just 11 takeaways, and give up an average of 22.6 points a game which if you look where that puts them amongst playoff contenders it's basically one of the worst defenses amongst teams likely to make the playoffs. I'd love to find a stat for defensive penalties too because they have to be one of the worst in that category too for as much holding and pass interference their poor secondary does.

Hoping the front office does not waste the best years of Mahomes career going cheap on defense. As someone said earlier in this thread they were a Dee Ford off sides penalty away from probably making the SB last year and the defense was bad last year too.

Huh......this is eerily similar with me being a Green Bay fan. Kinda what McCarthy and Thompson did with Rodgers every season since 2010. Rodgers was either in the playoffs losing bc of a porous defense, or hurt because his OL was dog s**t. I sympathize.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Huh......this is eerily similar with me being a Green Bay fan. Kinda what McCarthy and Thompson did with Rodgers every season since 2010. Rodgers was either in the playoffs losing bc of a porous defense, or hurt because his OL was dog s**t. I sympathize.

Agreed and at least Mahomes is pretty mobile and passes well on the scramble because his OL is not exactly a great bunch of blockers either right now. This is what I don't get with franchise that get elite level QBs. They waste their best years because they can't build an OL or defense for them then they end up having to go cheap in those areas because their skill position players are costing them too much to retain. Look at the Patriots and you can see that it can be done. Can't remember every thinking "man if Brady only had a halfway decent OL that isn't getting him killed every game" or "the Pats defense sure is awful." He's had at least average to well above average supporting cast around him most of his years in the league and the Pats front office does a good job of either drafting talent or trading it away for the right pieces to keep that machine going without some rough years where they look bad as a team.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Agreed and at least Mahomes is pretty mobile and passes well on the scramble because his OL is not exactly a great bunch of blockers either right now. This is what I don't get with franchise that get elite level QBs. They waste their best years because they can't build an OL or defense for them then they end up having to go cheap in those areas because their skill position players are costing them too much to retain. Look at the Patriots and you can see that it can be done. Can't remember every thinking "man if Brady only had a halfway decent OL that isn't getting him killed every game" or "the Pats defense sure is awful." He's had at least average to well above average supporting cast around him most of his years in the league and the Pats front office does a good job of either drafting talent or trading it away for the right pieces to keep that machine going without some rough years where they look bad as a team.

And every year you think they're down, boom right back in the Super Bowl.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

the patriots are the best game planners to ever play. They get rid of the ball quickly when they have a bad OL. They mask any deficiency they have extremely well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Listened to the first half on radio, watched the second half.
The problem (losing the MVP is a big one) is the Chiefs OLine. That's pieced together big time right now. The Vikings got into Moores grill a lot today and he just did enough.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Listened to the first half on radio, watched the second half.
The problem (losing the MVP is a big one) is the Chiefs OLine. That's pieced together big time right now. The Vikings got into Moores grill a lot today and he just did enough.
Vikings fans know a lot about having s*** OL's recently... Just like the game today.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I like Reid. I know he has a lot of deficiencies, but he puts an exciting offense together and since all the rules favor the offense I'd rather have that guy. Give me Reid until he retires.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Guys, he didn’t watch. He is DONE. He said it himself.

That was a really nice win against a good team. Andy Reid makes the right moves again.

• Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Great win today. Run D played well. D overall (besides screens) seemed to play well but hard to tell if it’s just because of Cousins or not. How bout that turd sliding before the 1st down line by a yard when no one was around.

Rest of the AFC West won as well today so it was a big win. Also had Colts lose and one of Ravens/Pats will lose as well.

Chiefs only have 1 team left on the schedule that has a current winning record. (Patriots)

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Beating the Vikings with Matt Moore and basically a 2nd string OL is pretty good
What's actually more impressive is that the Chiefs offense didn't win the game so much as their D did. Vikings struggled to run most of the day, and Chiefs pass coverage often held up (when Cousins wasn't whiffing throws...). The Chiefs are one of the worst run defenses in the league...until today, where they kept our stellar run game under control.