Justin Smith

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
That movie came out before I turned 2 but it is still the most quotable of my lifetime.

agreed, my buddies and I had years of quotes from that movie. To this day we spin off some of the best when we get together. As far as sports movies go, I put it right at the top with Hoosiers.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Archie Miller strikes me as a very unlikable douche. Right up there with Fran and little Pitino

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I understand Nixon was not good enough, became the scapegoat, of a really poor season. And not wanting to single out this post, since there are multiple similar on this and other threads. But I disagree with the impression he wasn't a team player, was out for himself, was constantly taking terrible shots early in the clock. That ain't accurate. IMHO.

And I apologize for off-topic post.
I think Nixon loved Iowa State and being apart of the team. He busted his a$$ off and never really mailed it in. His biggest issue was that he did too much, whether that be shot selection, over dribbling, over helping on defense at times, etc. I think he wanted so badly to become the second guy on the team that he fell in love with trying to be that and wasn't conscious enough to slow down in certain situations.

Reactions: CyDude16

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think Nixon loved Iowa State and being apart of the team. He busted his a$$ off and never really mailed it in. His biggest issue was that he did too much, whether that be shot selection, over dribbling, over helping on defense at times, etc. I think he wanted so badly to become the second guy on the team that he fell in love with trying to be that and wasn't conscious enough to slow down in certain situations.
I agree with this. Also, it is really difficult to find your flow on a new team. Colorado State needed him to be "The Man". We saw this player in the big 12 tournament against OKST. He shot lights out that game. I just don't think he liked his role being reduced for such a long period of the season and was trying to force it a bit.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I agree with this. Also, it is really difficult to find your flow on a new team. Colorado State needed him to be "The Man". We saw this player in the big 12 tournament against OKST. He shot lights out that game. I just don't think he liked his role being reduced for such a long period of the season and was trying to force it a bit.
Also, sorry for getting this thread going in the wrong direction. I think Smith would be a great addition, more than making up for Jacobson's production. Our best stretches of basketball this last year (outside of Texas in Hilton) came with Jacobson either playing the 5 or on the bench.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I understand Nixon was not good enough, became the scapegoat, of a really poor season. And not wanting to single out this post, since there are multiple similar on this and other threads. But I disagree with the impression he wasn't a team player, was out for himself, was constantly taking terrible shots early in the clock. That ain't accurate. IMHO.

Prentiss played as hard as he could. He cried on senior night, because Iowa State meant something to him.

that we have a sect of fans that still hate on him, says more about them than it does the young man.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I read that-- what a joke. Just horrible. The idea that a kid should be bound by a decision he made 3 years ago, committing to a totally different coach, is just asinine. We are allowed the free will to do as we please. People transfer in and out of schools all the time. People change jobs all the time. That's life.

You have 4 years to play. Why waste them if you aren't happy?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Is there anyone you would like? Honest question
As home runs or grand slams? Not many, particularly now.

I like Smith and JCL. I don’t agree they’re home runs or grand slams. It’s a stretch to say they’re clearly better when their play hasn’t demonstrated that.

We had 4 openings. I like adding 3 or 4 upperclassmen, and hopefully one or two end up better. All will be better than open spots and having less candidates.

Reactions: Halincandenza

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I like Smith and JCL. I don’t agree they’re home runs or grand slams. It’s a stretch to say they’re clearly better when their play hasn’t demonstrated that.

We had 4 openings. I like adding 3 or 4 upperclassmen, and hopefully one or two end up better. All will be better than open spots and having less candidates.

We should also look at it as an upgrade in production over what Leech and Anderson would have likely brought as Sophomores if they hadn't moved along. I understand the thought that each won't result directly in wins adding those two (proven 10+scorers) to Bolton and Young's known production is a solid B12 team. Add in the wild cards of the incoming Freshman, Javian and the possibility of Harris means there is logical path for NCAA bid.

Reactions: Cytown12

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

"fewer"

"Fewer" refers to something that one can count -- "fewer MPHs."

"Less" refers to something uncountable -- "less quickly."

You can count the number of candidates here.

"fewer candidates"

:)

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
"fewer"

"Fewer" refers to something that one can count -- "fewer MPHs."

"Less" refers to something uncountable -- "less quickly."

You can count the number of candidates here.

"fewer candidates"

:)
You can count of all the variations of possible players? I can’t. Candidates is abstract here. Infinite really

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007

I actually see this as a positive for us if we get him. It sounds like he'll have an axe to grind and sounds like the type of player who could respond well to a positive, upbeat coach like Prohm. Who knows what will actually happen, but I wouldn't be surprised with him taking a significant upswing in production if his attitude and motivation is on par with his athleticism.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Say we fill 12 scholarships and have an eight-man rotation.

View attachment 72199

495 is a countable number. :)

I think the word you were looking for there is finite. 495 is a finite set of positions. Countable sets can be finite or infinite, but an infinite set isn't really what you were going for there.

But, the original question was about the total number of candidates. While that is also finite, it is significantly larger than 495. In this case, I'd say that your population is the number of athletes in the transfer portal and the sample size is the number of open scholarships we have.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I agree with that. I never questioned Nixon's effort or team play. He was just limited physically and would not be starting on a good team. He turned the ball over too much and took some bad shots. But that team was bad enough that someone needed to step up and try to make shots.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Also, sorry for getting this thread going in the wrong direction. I think Smith would be a great addition, more than making up for Jacobson's production. Our best stretches of basketball this last year (outside of Texas in Hilton) came with Jacobson either playing the 5 or on the bench.

Jacobson was just out of position last year. He could be (and was) a good player at the 5. The problem was that Griffin didn't develop enough and there was no one else able to play the 4.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think the word you were looking for there is finite. 495 is a finite set of positions. Countable sets can be finite or infinite, but an infinite set isn't really what you were going for there.

"He ran less quickly when he heard the bear slow down behind him."

Is "quickly" there somehow divisible as "finite" or "infinite?"

As opposed to...

"Bears are sprinters, not marathoners. If you have only run three or fewer miles, then they will still chase you, but after that, you should be okay."

Substitute "less" for "fewer" above... it might be something you say in colloquial conversation, but it is not technically the right application of "less."

"Fewer" would be better because it is one two three miles.

This is not really a mathematical question but a grammatical one between the use of "fewer" versus "less," where I do think something being countable/quantifiable is really the determining factor about which one is appropriate.

I just did the nCr exercise to be funny afterwards, but I think my point that 495 is not such an infinite or uncountable number where "less" would be appropriate.

But, the original question was about the total number of candidates. While that is also finite, it is significantly larger than 495. In this case, I'd say that your population is the number of athletes in the transfer portal and the sample size is the number of open scholarships we have.

I agree with you on this point, however. The discreet population of 12-13 men on the roster versus the whole universe of potential transfers is quite different -- the former is easily countable, but the latter is amorphous in its true size.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The athleticism between Jacobsen and Smith isn’t even close either. Jacobsen could hardly get 3 feet off the ground. A lot of Smiths highlights are soaring dunks and blocks. Would make the defense a whole lot better with him
Timeout. "Could hardly get 3 feet off the ground." Sorry the post player didn't have a 36" vert... Were you expecting Lebron James out there?

Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Here's a highlight video of Justin Smith and some initial thoughts.

• Heck of an athlete
  • Not incompetent from the 3 point line but definitely don't want him to fall in love back there
  • Great finisher around the rim
  • Gets out and runs the floor
  • Pretty good ball handler
  • Post work is pretty good. Usually initiates contact first and powers through his defender instead of using finesse
  • Has a pull up game in his arsenal, but again, don't want him to fall in love with that shot
Overall, man oh man I would want him. That sort of athleticism is exactly what we did not have last year at that position. He was able to do quite a bit for Indiana last year. I loved some of the variations of his game. He's more than capable enough to take his man off the dribble and drive right down the throat of the defense. He also looked great when posted up on the block. Looks to be a guy CSP could use in a lot of ways and as I said before, he's not afraid to knock down a 3 every now and then. I'm guessing teams knew he was some sort of threat by the way he was constantly driving by defenders in this film. This would be a huge get for Prohm.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron