JTS Improvements - Want More

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I would also like if we moved the seats in towards the field. That way I can yell Kirk Ferentz and call him a racist...I don't believe he is a racist but I hate em...so I'm probably going to do it anyway.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I didn't say a new one wasn't necessary. It would certainly be useful for, and welcomed by, a variety of groups. I just don't think it's necessary right now. There's a whole bunch of stuff at Hilton that needs to be explored first, IMO, both back of house and front of house.

Additionally, "because the press box looks bad/small" isn't a valid reason to bring in the backhoes -- especially not for how much it'd cost. Yet, that's the primary argument of many people on this board.

It also seems like a huge proposition to expand the existing box.

The existing box appears to be supported by two 'legs'. I doubt they engineered that to a level you could just go wider and hang more weight off that. So you'd need more structure to support more press box. But the concession stands\restrooms are in the way of that.

It appears to me any project to increase the size of the press box then becomes a project to redo the concessions\restrooms (there are certainly merits to this as well). It might even be easier to tear down the existing box and put up something entirely new. But when you start looking at everything it looks like it'd get super expensive in a hurry.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It also seems like a huge proposition to expand the existing box.

The existing box appears to be supported by two 'legs'. I doubt they engineered that to a level you could just go wider and hang more weight off that. So you'd need more structure to support more press box. But the concession stands\restrooms are in the way of that.

It appears to me any project to increase the size of the press box then becomes a project to redo the concessions\restrooms (there are certainly merits to this as well). It might even be easier to tear down the existing box and put up something entirely new. But when you start looking at everything it looks like it'd get super expensive in a hurry.
Just curious. These days with robotic cameras, what would the need be for a 'high' press box? Couldn't they just supplement lower level space as a 'control center' for cameras mounted on the existing box? My ignorance of the press' needs may be showing through, but it just seems technology should be able to supplement current and developing needs from that perspective.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Whoa, three pumps are setting up this morning. Trucks will be rolling. Edit: two, the boom to the west is the crane folding down to be moved.
Wow! Two pumpers! And yes, that one to the west looks like the crane they have been using to build the forms. Edit: one of the pumpers just left. :confused:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Whoa, three pumps are setting up this morning. Trucks will be rolling. Edit: two, the boom to the west is the crane folding down to be moved.
Wow! Two pumpers! And yes, that one to the west looks like the crane they have been using to build the forms. Edit: one of the pumpers just left. :confused:
Looking at the the webcam’s video archive, the pumper that left got there at 5:30 am. The other one arrived a little before 7:00 am. That first one must have been having issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedDog

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
You have to think, if we continue to have the success we're having, season ticket sales will continue to increase each season and you'll have to find more room for non season ticket holders...which would result in probably expanding the stadium again. I think 65k is a reasonable expectation in the next 5-10 years for Jack Trice.
The goal of every sports venue should be to sell every single available seat as a season ticket. As soon as the buzz around a team fades and single game tickets become available the demand for season tickets can plummet. It's for this same reason that any expansion to seating capacity should be very carefully weighed. Just look at the large tarped off sections in NFL stadiums that got ahead of themselves.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I would also like if we moved the seats in towards the field. That way I can yell Kirk Ferentz and call him a racist...I don't believe he is a racist but I hate em...so I'm probably going to do it anyway.
I'm going to get soap-boxy.

Calling somebody a racist, when you don't even think they are, is about as low as you can go. It minimizes a word that should mean something. I'm not defending KF but casually calling people racists lets real racists off the hook.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The goal of every sports venue should be to sell every single available seat as a season ticket. As soon as the buzz around a team fades and single game tickets become available the demand for season tickets can plummet. It's for this same reason that any expansion to seating capacity should be very carefully weighed. Just look at the large tarped off sections in NFL stadiums that got ahead of themselves.
I'd be stunned if we have a capacity increase in the next decade.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Kansas State and Iowa built their new west stadium towers mostly for suites and not for press. The press were lucky enough to get expanded space, but these massive structures were built with revenue in mind.

18.-Kansas-State-University-Football-Stadium-omiydlv0qhw7kh1fr148nx94lb08ia1i8ap17kka00.jpg

The top row of windows is for press, while the bottom four floors are revenue-producing suites and club options, in addition to their club and suites on the east side.

This is similar at Maryland. Most of these structures are designed to generate revenue in the long term, rather than only be a "press box."
byrd19750.jpg

Iowa -- again, mostly suites and club, with half of one level for press.
Kinnick_Stadium.jpg

NC State is probably what I'd want a West Stadium Tower to look like at Jack Trice, since their stadium is so similar already.
20-carter-finley-stadium.jpg

njfucjofzdtqfur3v6cu

Last edited:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
Looks like they are top dressing the northeast hillside today. I have spotted dump trucks backing up on the far side of the Jake. Also, a couple of bulldozers are on the hillside; one with a blade, the other with a bucket laying down what looks like some nice black dirt. :)

Wondering why they’re not using that big pile of black dirt that’s already on site? :confused:

Last edited:

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe the new CEO of Berkshire Hathaway wants a new press/vip box, since we have mid-america energy field, he is the former ceo of Mid-America energy, upgrade his investment.:jimlad:

edit: Put some windmills up for new RV lot/stadium/intramural/hilton/cy/fisher/vip suite power. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
If we did go for pressbox only -- with no suites (no idea why we would do this if we could create revenue generating suites too) something similar to arrowhead would look really cool.
dfzSoYiGQUFzlkW6f3FW4W0TA1q5mWXjYg3MtrbN6mWLJu_iDrS_Dwjugo1MTXKmAnSKp_2o9KA523MpIw3pGkWY5uomM5DDZn0Xm_9P-mJPLo5Oe78

• Winner
Reactions: Land Shark

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
If we did go for pressbox only -- with no suites (no idea why we would do this if we could create revenue generating suites too) something similar to arrowhead would look really cool.
dfzSoYiGQUFzlkW6f3FW4W0TA1q5mWXjYg3MtrbN6mWLJu_iDrS_Dwjugo1MTXKmAnSKp_2o9KA523MpIw3pGkWY5uomM5DDZn0Xm_9P-mJPLo5Oe78
The "press box" at Arrowhead definitely has revenue generating space. There's a large high-end "Tower Club" in it.

Reactions: Land Shark