JTS Improvements - Want More

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Will the improved hillsides be terraced? Will they still be grass or some other surface? Field turf there could make it so they do not get muddy, but maybe field turf at an angle is too slick.
I think I heard that turf would be really hot in early season games.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
artificial turf on the hillsides and grass on the playing field would be quite the creative spin

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think I heard that turf would be really hot in early season games.
On average, artificial turf is 40-70 degrees hotter than the air temperature on a warm sunny day. Back in high school, we practiced on an artificial turf field, and I had teammates who had their brand new cleats melt on the turf during two a days. Sitting on it in 90 degree heat on the first few games of the season would be absolute hell.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
On average, artificial turf is 40-70 degrees hotter than the air temperature on a warm sunny day. Back in high school, we practiced on an artificial turf field, and I had teammates who had their brand new cleats melt on the turf during two a days. Sitting on it in 90 degree heat on the first few games of the season would be absolute hell.
so artificial turf on the visitor's sideline. If not, maybe just test it out for the Baylor game

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The newest fields we have practiced on have the FieldTurf CoolPlay technology. They are advertised as being about 20 degrees cooler than the standard infill. We practiced on some pretty hot days and I have to say it is a noticeable difference.

I think the biggest issue would be the infill staying in place. Even snow removal results in the infill moving around and piling up. I can only imagine what would happen in even just one game of traffic on a significant slope.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
The hillsides will sit higher now and will be grass, the elevation and the back wall will make the stadium feel very different.

The Jacobson Bldg 2nd floor was to also have a terrace similar to the 1st floor which would eliminate the decals but create outstanding advertising space. I have doubts that part gets completed right now

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I'd like to see an update picture of the NEZ taken from the SEZ or the upper deck of the east side just to have a better view of the project. I wonder if the stadium is open to just walk in.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd like to see an update picture of the NEZ taken from the SEZ or the upper deck of the east side just to have a better view of the project. I wonder if the stadium is open to just walk in.
I figured there would be a webcam?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Gates leading to the field and to the seats are locked.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Those pine trees around JT are taking forever to grow...

Weird post, I know.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Looks as though the webcam at the stadium has been knocked out due to the storm. Any news of damage at the construction site?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Do you think they will sell game tickets for the views from the top flow of that building?

Plus, I'd love to see how the NEZ hillsides are progressing.

The floor plan shows 'Athletics Suites' at both the north and south corners of the top floor. So, if you donate enough money they'll probably let you in. I'd bet they've got a plan / way to turn the entire fourth floor (which is mainly a cafeteria) into a fancy gathering space for boosters.