Jon Miller's BTN show gets canned

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Because most people were/are still convinced that the Big East Conference is just waiting to be picked over by the Big 10 (maybe) and/or the ACC (not nearly as likely). Fans were actually rooting against going to the Big East because they they were absolutely convinced that, had doomsday occurred, it would cease to exist, once again ISU would be on the outside looking in.
Yes, and most people do not understand the Big East is developing their own network similar to the big 10. Most people don't understand that if the forgotten 4 would have ended up with the Big East, the Big East would have had a larger TV footprint than any conference in the US. If the forgotten four would have joined, the Big East would have had the premier MBB conference and cable companies would have to buy into the Big East network as much as they would have to buy into the BTN. Probably not as much revenue/household but many, many more households. The increase in revenue would solidify the Big East. Oh, yeah, how would that have affected Notre Dame if the forgotten four would have joined? Pretty much ensures they stay independent.

But then, this is another topic I could have discussed during conference realignment. And yet another topic that those dolts on KXNO chose to ignore by not even mentioning the Big East option. Instead, they relegated ISU to Confernece USA and why ISU brought nothing to the table and said nothig else. Then discussed 100 different ways it could affect the big 10. Regurgitating the same thing everyday. Hence the reason I could care less that jon lost his job with the BTN and is no longer on KXNO. Bad radio, nothing original to add, failure to disclose facts, and the immediate dismissal of ISU.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Don't worry the University of Iowa gets paid...

I was listening to Jan Mickelson last week or so and he made a comment about how ISU's athletic department receives state funding which is true. He then made some comment about how the UofI doesn't take money to fund its department comparing the two.

When President Gregory Geoffroy was making difficult budget decisions at ISU with cutbacks in state funding with across the board cuts and furloughs. The U of I was happy to take Fed stimulus money so they didn't have to do the same.

Read this article and note how the university spun it. I love how the media digs us for the little in state funding our athletic department receives then complete ignores their friends in iowa city when they get paid.

UI external support jumps 9 percent to record $466.5 million

"The major up-tick in funding includes more than $40 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding."

"The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provided an extraordinary opportunity for faculty to compete for higher risk research funding aimed at advancing health and science and helping stimulate the economic recovery. Our faculty competed very effectively for these funds, garnering 165 ARRA grants, including 11 prestigious NIH Challenge Grants," Cohen said.

"We are fortunate to have strong faculty, staff and students pursuing external resources to generate knowledge and discoveries and improve employment in Iowa," Reighley said.

Last edited:

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I guess my misunderstanding and subsequent misinformation, was coming from articles like these. Where clearly the state universities were being pressured, including UNI's "back against the wall" to eliminate or at least reduce dependence on the general fund.

Statements like this one led to my misunderstanding...

"The proposals were in response to a request by the regents this spring to eliminate or substantially cut university general funds - taxpayer and student money - from athletic programs."

From this article...

Fund cut maintains status for athletics at University of Northern Iowa | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Another other articles...

Northern Iowa president: Division I status could be threatened | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

"At its March meeting, the board asked Geoffroy and University of Northern Iowa president Ben Allen to assess the feasibility of, and develop a proposal to reduce or eliminate general fund subsidies for their athletics departments."

is from this article...

Inside Iowa State

SPC

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Of course it is. It's in ISU's best interest to eliminate state funding if possible. BUT, the BOR did request for all three universities to come up with a plan to eliminate state subsidy. And yes, UI was still taking some funds in the form of scholarship reimbursement. ISU came up with a plan to eliminate state funding in the next few years. UNI basically said that they couldn't do it and the BOR said "Well, OK, nevermind".
It was an empty threat to ISU.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I guess my misunderstanding and subsequent misinformation, was coming from articles like these. Where clearly the state universities were being pressured, including UNI's "back against the wall" to eliminate or at least reduce dependence on the general fund.

Statements like this one led to my misunderstanding...

"The proposals were in response to a request by the regents this spring to eliminate or substantially cut university general funds - taxpayer and student money - from athletic programs."

From this article...

Fund cut maintains status for athletics at University of Northern Iowa | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

Another other articles...

Northern Iowa president: Division I status could be threatened | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

"At its March meeting, the board asked Geoffroy and University of Northern Iowa president Ben Allen to assess the feasibility of, and develop a proposal to reduce or eliminate general fund subsidies for their athletics departments."

is from this article...

Inside Iowa State

SPC
Wait. You were misled by the local media and it shed a negative light on ISU. That does not happen at all. Just read this thread.:jimlad:

Jun 14, 2010
Of course it is. It's in ISU's best interest to eliminate state funding if possible. BUT, the BOR did request for all three universities to come up with a plan to eliminate state subsidy. And yes, UI was still taking some funds in the form of scholarship reimbursement. ISU came up with a plan to eliminate state funding in the next few years. UNI basically said that they couldn't do it and the BOR said "Well, OK, nevermind".
+1

A lot of misinformation out there. Most of it slanted against ISU and how we "take" state money and Iowa does not.

One thing for certain imo, it would be best for ISU if the BOR supported state funding in a manner similar to other states. Of course, the loss of a few million is big to ISU, not so much to Iowa, so their actions are to be expected.

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, and most people do not understand the Big East is developing their own network similar to the big 10. Most people don't understand that if the forgotten 4 would have ended up with the Big East, the Big East would have had a larger TV footprint than any conference in the US. If the forgotten four would have joined, the Big East would have had the premier MBB conference and cable companies would have to buy into the Big East network as much as they would have to buy into the BTN. Probably not as much revenue/household but many, many more households. The increase in revenue would solidify the Big East. Oh, yeah, how would that have affected Notre Dame if the forgotten four would have joined? Pretty much ensures they stay independent.

But then, this is another topic I could have discussed during conference realignment. And yet another topic that those dolts on KXNO chose to ignore by not even mentioning the Big East option. Instead, they relegated ISU to Confernece USA and why ISU brought nothing to the table and said nothig else. Then discussed 100 different ways it could affect the big 10. Regurgitating the same thing everyday. Hence the reason I could care less that jon lost his job with the BTN and is no longer on KXNO. Bad radio, nothing original to add, failure to disclose facts, and the immediate dismissal of ISU.
Not too mention, ISU could have backed into a BCS bowl in that conference, like Iowa has in the Big 10. If you are going to have a chance to get things on air with Miller, you need that Iowa slant.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
If I live out of state, how would I have watched the Iowa State - UNI game on tv?
How many people can get FCS?

Maybe you need to define "has been on the air".

thankfully for you, you don't have to worry about since you don't root for the Cyclones. If you want FCS - you can get it. Its called paying for it. BTN - I don't want it and I still have to pay for it - who is subsidizing who again?

Reactions: GeneralHouston

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If I live out of state, how would I have watched the Iowa State - UNI game on tv?

I don't know, I have a few friends in San Diego that have been able to catch every game outside of ISU/UNI. Which leads me to believe that if you are able to get the game 1,779 miles away from Ames, you can more then likely see it anywhere you want.

If I had to make a guess, the same amount of people can get Fox Sports as can get the Big10 Network.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX

Just like I did up at Camp Ripley...Clone Zone fired up on the computer hooked to a 23" LG via mini-display to HDMI. All it took was $8 and a six-pack of Ranger. :smile:

storminspank

Sep 12, 2007
Minnesota
www.storminspank.com
thankfully for you, you don't have to worry about since you don't root for the Cyclones. If you want FCS - you can get it. Its called paying for it. BTN - I don't want it and I still have to pay for it - who is subsidizing who again?

I root for ISU on occasion. I was pulling for the Clones last week, but I couldn't watch it because I was at a friend's house who didn't sub to FCS.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
some of you guys need to back off, he did a good job on morning radio - took a chance and apparently didn't work out. This is a man's livelihood you are making fun of, how many of you would like it if you lost your job and then the message boards had a multiple page thread about how you stunk at it anyway just because you didn't like the same team they did? Jon is a good guy, a Hawk - but still someone that is like 99.9% of the rest of us and just trying to make a living to get by....

Holy cow, he runs a website with message boards. He posts here and is probably reading this. Real feedback? He should want it.

That said, I would rather listen to Jon Miller giving lip service to Cyclone athletics than Paul Clark -- he crashed and burned this morning (IMO).

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Quick question. Since I think BTN comes standard with basic cable packages, how much cheaper would your cable bill be if BTN wasn't being carried?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron